Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Olympic Fever

Funny Sports Ecard: The only things standing between us and our Olympic dreams are that we're out-of-shape, apathetic, and incapable of passing a drug test.

Yes I have Olympic fever! But sadly the above is more me than an athlete.
I even watched more of the Olympics last night than the depressing Yankee/Oriole game.
I loved the synchonize diving.
I felt so badly for the men's gymnastic team.
Major flubs and the pain on their faces broke my heart. 

Tonight the women's gymnastic team is on and I will be glued to my set.
I just love the summer olympics so much more than the winter.
Love, Love, LOVE the female gymnastics portion of the Olympics!

Truth be told I don't care for volleyball or the bike riding.
Anything more boring than watching someone ride a bike?
Rick was all disappointed that the weather had turned cold and the women volley ball players couldn't wear their bikini's.

He was watching them the other day and I hear him yell, "eat a potato" to the television.
Apparently on some country that was not the USA team Rick thought the woman was too skinny. Rick said he could snap her like a twig.
God that man makes me giggle.
I wasn't watching it but I heard Rick's color commentary.
I told him that Bob Costas has nothing to worry about.
Rick wouldn't be stealing his job by yelling at the skinny chicks to eat a potato!

In other news.....
I am excited because I think I made a friend.
I have no real friends here. Lots of acquaintances.
When we moved here I worked in Manhattan and worked from home 1 or 2 days a week.
Don't meet a lot of people that way.
Neighbors who have become real friends have since moved to another state. (gee is it me?)
Most of my work friends I have had for over 20 years and they all live everywhere in the U.S.A.
So while I have acquaintances here it's not the same.
You women out there know that you need a real friend to go shopping with you.
You need a real friend to say, "your ass looks bigger in those pants - you can't buy them!"

Anyway we saw new people move in a block away when we were walking the dog.
They said hello and we said our polite hello's.
A few days later I saw their license plate said Pennsylvania.
So I asked, "Where are you from in PA? I'm from PA too."
That started an animated conversation and boy I liked this woman.
(That doesn't happen often)

Fast forward to standing outside getting eaten alive by mosquito's an hour later.
I walked home and  said to Rick, "I met someone I really like!"
He laughed and said, "made yourself a little friend did ya?"
Okay snicker all you want funny boy.

Yesterday afternoon Lisa called me at the office and said, "wanna have some wine after work?"  "Gee no I don't drink!" There was a silence on the phone.  I realized I probably shouldn't mess with a new friend huh?  "Of course !"I told her. She told me she'd bring  a bottle and come on down about 6:30p.
I opened the door and there she stood with no wine and all dressed up in her work clothes.
She came in and bitched about having to work and then mid-sentence looked around and said, "OMG your home is so much nicer than mine!"
You see we have the same exact model townhome.

I laughed and said, "You just moved in give it time."
She took off her shoes and headed down the hall and looked, touched and opened everything.
I was walking behind her a bit shocked and laughing.
Where did you get this? Was this built in? Was this an add on?  I love the molding.

Stuff like that.
All I kept saying was, No my husband made it.
No my husband built it.
No my husband just did this and this to make it look better.
No my husband added that, it was easy.

She wanted to know if Rick could go home with her.
"Be my guest – he’s yours for a week – but I'll warn you he’s very expensive to feed."

In the mean time Rick is sitting on the sofa hearing this.
He yelled – "Hey hey! I'm not a piece of meat woman!"
She said, "But I don't cook "
He yelled – "then I’m not coming over!"
She yelled back that her husband cooks – 
Rick yelled, "Alright when do you need me to start?"

I forget sometimes how lucky I am that he loves to do this shit.
She reminded me of that last night.

She liked my patio table too – that made us both burst out laughing.
She looked at us like we were nuts.
But we didn’t even tell her!!

So after she touched everything on my first floor she left to go to work.
She's coming back Friday.
I think I'll make a pizza on the grill with an antipasto (mainly for me who can't eat pizza) and drink a lot of wine. 
I'm like a little school kid so excited to have a playmate (drink mate in my case).
Pathetic really isn't it?
At least maybe now I won't beg Rick to go shopping with me.
For that he will be thankful.

If she ends up being a gun toting, religious rhetoric, hateful right wing nut I'm screwed.
But I don't think my radar could be that off could it?
Stay tuned.

11 comments:

mamahasspoken said...

Hum, guess you'll have to avoid conversations about guns, religion and gays if she is because it's hard to find a woman like that ;o)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie - no avoidance, let's get it out of the way right quick. :-)

Carolyn said...

It's so hard to make friends. When I moved back home after college, I had barely any friends left in my town. It took me years to really start building up a great core group of friends. I hope your new friend works out! Have a good time on Friday.

Julie H said...

That's great! I need more normal friends haha. I'm always thinking why does this person like me??

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thx Carolyn!

Julie see how much nicer you are than me? I'm always thinking, gee why don't I can't I like these people?

Mike said...

Is Rick like one of those guys standing by the road with the sign that says 'Will work for food'?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - it may come to that. :-)
And yes he would.
he'd probably write sex under neath that in small letters too.

flask said...

peg, darlin',

bike riding is one of those sports that it's hard to see what where the excitement is unless you watch the WHOLE thing.

highlights of bike races are boring even to many hardcore fans.

if you didn't know anything about baseball and you only got to see half an inning, how boring would that be?

there's a lot of strategy and super exquisite timing and high drama, but it all looks so smooth you can really miss it.

there's stuff about sacrifice and heroism and teamwork and negotiation and tradition and gamesmanship and thinking on the fly and just plain "who will carry the water?" that i think you would like.

give cycling a chance, but not the nbc coverage of it. i understand road racing and criterium and time trialing and mountain biking in xc, downhill and dualie formats, but i am not captivated by the nbc coverage of olympic cycling.

i will watch the track events (laptop handy) just because i don't have a good understanding of track cycling and even though i've read about it, i'd like to see some.

but, hey. team handball! i'd heard of it but never seen it, so it was cool to see some of that.

Ms. A said...

Good for you! I don't even bother to try anymore. I'm too crotchety

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

flask - problem is where else is this coverage except NBC?
Bravo, MSNBC and NBC are all NBC and these are the only coverage I have on my TV. I guess you're saying laptop. May have to check it out because I don't see what you are seeing apparently in all the biking I've tried to watch. Thx

flask said...

peg, i;m sorry. what i meant was: decide to watch one of the classic bike races. nbc's coverage of the tour de france was good, if you watched the live coverage instead of the stupid primetime coverage.

don't try to like cycling as broadcast by nbc for the olympics.
i think nbc assumes americans don't have the attention span to follow what's going on.

i don't count on liking next weeks women's mountain biking event even thought he course is supposed to be very like my home course and i know one of the riders.

stupid nbc coverage.

nuts to them.