Monday, July 30, 2012

Silly Weekend

Sunday morning on Rick's 5:30am walk with Izzy he came back home all excited.
"Hey Margaret, he yells,  BJ is throwing away a charcoal grill."

"YIPPEE."  I say sarcastically from another room.

"Hey don't be wench-y I'm serious."

"I know you're serious Rick that is what is so funny. Why the hell do you care about this?"

Then it hits me....."OH NO you aren't planning to dumpster dive this thing are you?"

Now you know if you read me regularly that Rick loves to find others garbage and make it something. Our garage is what I like to refer to as Sanford and Son. Seriously there are things in there that I am not sure he even knows why he wanted them.

Rick proceeds to tell me the virtue of charcoal over our gas grill that is pretty new (2 yrs) and how we can now have both.

I really didn't know my life was so incomplete until I had to endure  listen to his saga over the advantages of both and how life changing this would be.

"Then go get it for heaven's sake!" I tell him as I shake my head and laugh.

He was out the door before I finished.
He came back with this old grill so happy.
Honestly he makes me laugh. The grill looked pathetic to me.
So at 8:30a.m. he is out in the garage and driveway beginning to work on this thing.
He began sanding the rusty spots. He cleaned it and then painted the black with Rustoleum's high heat paint for grills/ovens. (yes we had this in our garage - seriously our garage is a very well stocked hardware store)

He then polished up the stainless steel and it didn't look too bad.  
While he was doing all of this I had to go to Home Depot and return something so I returned with a bag of charcoal for him.  I knew that would be a good surprise for him.
I knew those steaks that were defrosting were going to be on the charcoal grill instead of the gas that night.  I know he would have plans for this baby tonight!

Ricky was so happy with his new toy. 
The sucker is heavy and after he was done doing all the painting and cleaning we had to pick it up to get from the garage to the patio.  Yes it has wheels but going up the steps we had to lift it. I was shocked at how much heavier this sucker was than our gas grill. 
So here is Rick's new toy. I should have had a before. Trust me it looks so much better.
Note the handle on the right which apparently is an awesome thing because it lowers and raises the coals. Who knew you needed that?

After this sweaty event he decided it was time for cocktails. It wasn't even noon.
So Rick poured himself a rum and coke and he and the dog went into Izzy's pool.
What? You don't see Izzy? She went into the pool, grabbed her ball and then went to the shade like a smart dog for a nap.


When Rick went over to grab this grill from BJ's dumpster pile BJ was putting more things out and Rick asked him about the grill. He told him it worked fine but he wanted gas. He wanted to just turn a knob and it would be lit. He also thought with the remodel of his patio he wanted something that looked better.

Later that evening BJ came over and couldn't get over how nice it looked.
He said to Rick, "I think I made a mistake I didn't think it could look this good again.  I just wanted to turn on the gas knob and not dilly dally with the coals. But now I think I made a mistake. I didn't know you could paint these or clean the stainless steel like that."
I noticed that Rick didn't offer to give it back to him.  He just stood there and smiled.

Then Rick showed him the secret to the coals. It's this thing below.
Bobby Flay goes on and on about it. I saw it at Home Depot when I was getting the charcoals.Bayou Classic Outdoor Charcoal Starter
It was on sale for $5.00 (normally $20) so I grabbed that with the coals. Since I was returning an item not needed I was using that money and I knew Rick would be thrilled.
Rick acted like I brought him back gold. He got all kissy and happy.  Silly easy boy!
But I must say he and Bobby Flay are right, this thing is slick!

Of course Rick shows BJ how cool this thing is and BJ seems to be genuinely sad he gave this grill up.
As he was leaving he said, "I think my new grill is going to be gas and charcoal.
You  have changed my mind.  I feel like I dumped my wife because she was getting old and you gave her a face lift and I love her again."  Rick and he laughed.
(I didn't like his analogy but kept my mouth shut. talk about will power!)

Something tells me that this weeks meals will be made outside on a charcoal grill.
Anyone doubt me?

9 comments:

Carolyn said...

The grill looks good! Your husband should have sold the grill back to him for a good price ;)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carolyn, funny you say that because i told him the same thing. Seriously BJ looked green with envy. How funny.

Julie H said...

Wow that's a nice grill! I love how the guy was basically asking for it back without saying as much. My mother in law was using those charcoal things forever ago. We mostly use gas now though. (Seems like whatever you don't have is the better one, right?) My friends have a smoker and we had burgers off of that on Saturday and they were so good!

mamahasspoken said...

I have a charcoal grill and wish that I had a duel one (both gas and charcoal). I love the taste of charcoal grill food but miss the ease and lack of ash mess you have with a gas grill (yes I have the tower for lighting the charcoal and agree it's the best thing to have mainly because when you use lighter fluid, or matchlight brand, your food taste like lighter fluid).
Thing I would get that will make Rick giggly again: a bag of wood. Yep you read that right, mix it in with the charcoal and you get a really great wood taste with you meal. We use hickory and apple.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie - yes we now have a gas grill and charcoal side by side. Next the damn smoker. (had one before when he would smoke his salmon that he caught in canada)

Regan - oh yea he's married. VERY good looking and his wife is frumpy dumpy and large. He has cheated on her and the dumb wife told everyone. I didn't get that and I just said, "oh I'm sorry and moved on." Why would she tell me, a neighbor, this info?

Bonnie - he got the wood too! :-) I don't recall if it was mesquite or hickory. I think hickory.

Mike said...

Those charcoal chimneys work good. You can get the charcoal going with newspaper.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - yep that is the trick!

Ms. A said...

Geez!!! I wish Rick could work a miracle on our POS grill. I've been trying to talk hubby into putting it on the curb.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Cora....I bet he could do something that would impress us.

At first I read this 'POS'it as point if sale....and of course thought that doesn't make sense. Then slow me finally GOT it! I only stares at it for a few minutes...jeez!