Saturday, July 14, 2012

Like I Needed An Excuse

But I was given one....Here is what I read online and then saw it confirmed on the evening news.

A new study of women in their 50s and early 60s finds that moderate alcohol consumption may help prevent bone loss. The women in the study consumed about one-and-a-half drinks per day.
The findings fit with prior studies, including the Framingham Heart Study, which documented that moderate drinkers — people who consume one to two drinks per day — have higher bone mineral density compared to heavy drinkers and people who don't consume alcohol at all.
But sorry guys, this one's just for the ladies.

The alcohol of this article was mostly wine but not all.

Now this doesn't apply to you young gals out there.
But for we old farts in peri-menopause or menopause it's music to our ears.
But using my girl math and logic I would say following this plan as a young woman can only be preventive medicine right? (You're welcome)

You see we old gals lose bone mass.  
In this small study it showed that when this age group has 2 glasses a day it actually turned over the rate of loss. If they stopped it went back to the rate of loss.

Still confused? 
Don't be.
Just open your favorite bottle or two of cabernet and drink.
You may fall over after the consumption but you can be assured that you won't break a hip when you do so.

Cheers!

8 comments:

danneromero said...

another reason i should start taking a sip or two, again... it's been a while... it's slow going - don't want to do something i'd regret. ;) LOL

Mike said...

When I saw this study you and my sister were the first two people I thought of.

Ms. A said...

If this works for margaritas, I guess I should drink more often. As it is, I'm not likely to break a hip after my occasional drink... unless I roll off the couch.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Daphne.....its like riding a bike....pour yourself a glass and you'll wonder why you waited so long.
:-)

Mike - gee that sounds like I'd like your sister. We both will have big strong bones at the nursing home.

Cora -im sure you can break a hip rolling off the sofa

mamahasspoken said...

I read this as I'm sitting on the couch with a headache wondering if it was from eating too many peach schnapps slushies last night. Or was it the apple pie moonshine I drank....
Either way, I won't have to worry about my bones because my head hurts to much to care ;o)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie, now that's the spirit! Doing your part for strong bones. :-)

Anonymous said...

bravo! i also read somewhere recently that women who drink more than 2 glasses of wine a day have better sex than women who don't.

im not sure how truly scientific this study was but I'm going with it.

Julie H said...

Sounds good to me!