Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday Flashback

As I am prone to do of late, I am reaching into the archives and being lazy on a Friday.

Boy oh boy, this 3 parter not only got me comments but a great deal of personal emails.
I didn't write it for sympathy or any of that type of "feeling".
I wrote this to explain why when I was asked what I was angry about.
My anger shocked me that day.
I thought all of that had been let go of when I was a kid.
Apparently it hadn't been and I had to deal with it that particular Sunday.

I don't have any anger or resentment for my dad.
You do better when you know better. He didn't know any better.
I have to look at him through adult eyes now.
He loves me to pieces, he just couldn't always give we girls all we needed at that time.
He was from a different time. Old school/Old country.
He's grown as we all have over time.

This was from 2010 for all you new followers. Boy 2 years ago already.

So you can check out Part I with this link.
Part II
Part III

Have a great weekend.
I plan on having a GREAT SUNDAY - IT'S BIRTHDAY TIME BABY!
I will forget I'm older than dirt and celebrate!
I'm sure I'll have some fun things for Monday.

8 comments:

Arnebya said...

Writing is indeed cathartic. But reading? Damn. Reading may be just as influential. I haven't experienced death much, certainly not at such a young age or someone so close to me as a parent. I can't imagine what that was like for you, what being expected to act like an adult immediately did to you. I'm glad you aren't angry or bitter, but I'm also glad that you are so wonderful at expressing why you felt the way you did. You were a child. Some of the things done to you are still very clear to see as wrong now that you're an adult. Even trying to use every objective thought within me comes to the same conclusion. But. You turned out ok. Your stepmother sounds like a gem and I'm so glad that you didn't have an additional horror to deal with.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Arnebya - the only horror is being raised by people when you tell them you're not hungry they say, "okay then just eat a sandwich!"
Crazy Dago's!

Lizbeth said...

Your dad sounds similar to mine. He's from Ireland and believes children should be seen and not heard and all that good stuff. He loved us but at a distance and I think the only way he knew how. It doesn't make it wrong but it doesn't make it right either. But in the end I think I've managed to accept things and move on. As have you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Lizbeth - Oh I used to hear that a lot - "should be seen and not heard"
Yep probably from the same cloth!
But look at us - we're kickin' ass and we're great broads! :-)

Ms. A said...

I remember this.

Happy Sunday Birthday, Peggy!

Julie H said...

A flashback I've actually already read, must be an oldie hanging around now ;)

Tracy said...

Peggy, I use to think it ridiculous that some would say people need s liscense to be a parent; after my childhood and others like yours, I wonder if that would be a great idea!
Sometimes it's good to look back and reflect upon whence we came; makes us appreciate where we are...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Peg.