I know the words to all TV theme songs from the late 60's - 70's.
I have mentioned here,or I should say, I have lamented and whined here before about not having any talent at anything.
I have waited and waited for a talent. I have tried and tried different things.
Sadly,I suck at everything.
But I have this knack for remembering stupid TV theme songs.
They just have always “stuck” in my head.
It's not like I try to remember them or anything.
If there was ever a game show where I could hear a couple notes or words and tell you the show and win zillions of dollars. I would win. Hands down.
I'd be a rich bitch humming to Gilligan's Island or Petticoat Junction.
Yea, how's that for obscure! I'm that good....and old.
Now having this great talent has gotten me nowhere.
There are no parades.
There will be no accolades.
There are no golden trophies.
There is no pot of gold.
Yes that's right nobody gives a rats ass.
My husband and I got into this goofy disagreement about the words to The Flintstones back in 1995.
Who knows where that came from to begin with but boy do we remember this event.
I remember it so well because we had laughing fits about this. For days!
I knew the words.
Rick insisted I was wrong. (when will he learn the poor boy, I am never wrong)
It bothered him for days. (Before there was Internet in all our homes)
Out of nowhere in the middle of the night, or at breaksfast or just driving somewhere he would shout what he thought were the words. All so random and out of context.
I would crack up laughing and then sing it right after him with the CORRECT words.
We’d laugh and he’d say, "Damn it Margaret someday I am going to prove you wrong."
Oh you silly man.
We went to a Best Buy on a rainy Sunday afternoon in Seattle to buy a TV.
That morning we had just had another laughable debate about the words to this theme song.
Rick would make up lyrics that would crack me up but they weren't correct.
As we were walking in a man was walking out with a Flintstones T-shirt on.
I made a comment to Rick and I turned around to look at the man again and lo and behold the theme lyrics were written on the back of this shirt. How lucky is that?
Me, being the lunatic I am, ran over to this man and ask if he could hold still so I could prove to my husband that I was right. I know this man thought I was crazy but did as I asked.
He didn't say much. I think he was scared of me. I'm not sure I would feel any differently if some nut job did this to me in the parking lot. I held his shirt and yelled for Rick.
Rick came over shaking his head and apologizing to this man that his wife is crazy.
But I ran my finger across the line on his back, "THROUGH THE COURTESY OF FRED’S TWO FEET."
SEE? Who was right now Mr. Smarty Pants?
Rick burst out laughing and I thanked the man as Rick shouts, “She paid you didn’t she?”
This poor guy just looked scared and got in his car and drove off while we two knuckleheads stood in the parking lot laughing our asses off.
Just in case you don’t know the words to this little ditty it goes like this–
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyabba-dabba-doooooooo!"
Flintstones... Meet the Flintstones,
They're a modern stone age family.
From the town of Bedrock,
They're a page right out of history.
Let's ride with the family down the street.
Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet.
When you're with the Flintstones,
have a yabba dabba doo time,
a dabba doo time,
we'll have a gay old time
Flintstones... Meet the Flintstones,
They're a modern stone age family.
From the town of Bedrock,
They're a page right out of history.
Someday, maybe Fred will win the fight,
And that cat will stay out for the night.
When you're with the Flintstones,
have a yabba dabba doo time,
a dabba doo time,
we'll have a gay old time
"Wiiilllllmmmmmmaaaaaa!!!"
.....now if only there was some value to this (my)priceless knowledge.
18 comments:
This is exactly why I don't wear theme sweatshirts out in public. You wind up talking to crazy people. :)
Mike - good call.
I have Flintstone Feet.....totally squared off at the toes! Every time I take my shoes off, I quietly say "Yabba Dabba Do! lol
Now Peg.....for 10 points!.....Do you know Super Chicken? That's my ringtone! Ha!
Regan - what? you think you're playing with an amatuer here?
Okay I admit just this part.
When you find youself in danger,
When you're threatened by a stranger,
When it looks like you will take a lickin', (puk, puk, puk)
There is someone waiting,
Who will hurry up and rescue you,
Just Call for Super Chicken! (puk, ack)
My hidden, yet useless, talent is remembering dialogue. Cartoons, sitcoms, commercials, movies. I remember words. And phrases. Oh, oh, oh, and slogans and logos! There was a quiz a few years ago making its way around the interwebs all about identifying brands. Winner among my friends? That'd be nerd me. I know not why I am such a fancy rememberer.
And I must, absolutely must know: what did he think the words WERE? I cannot stop laughing imagining.
Arnebya - you sound like Rosie O'Donnell who does the same thing.
Neither of us can remember what he thought they were. But he was convinced the words "Freds two feet" were not a part of this. He would burst into giggles every time I would say that.
We are a strange couple aren't we?
This was and still is my favorite cartoon. I've been known to reference it and the characters on it with my students. I create sentences and such using them all the time! BTW, I always knew the correct words!!!!
Queen Bee - that's a hoot that you use them in class. The Honeymooners in the Stone Age.
My husband knows so much useless trivia! I tell my friends not to buy trivia games for us to play because they WILL lose. He knows so much it's scary. I tell him he needs to study up on more academic stuff and apply to be on jeopardy.
Ah but one of my FAVORITE childhood songs came from the Flintstones. You read that right, the Flintstones. Do you remember the episode when the hire a nanny for Pebbles and it turned out to be a famous entertainer? And she sang Pebbles a lullaby? Love it.
I also love the song from Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer when Clairess sings there is always tomorrow for dreams to come true, tomorrow is only a day away........
I may not remember much these days, but I do remember the Flintstones theme. I might not remember what I had for lunch though. Sad.
If you know the lyrics to the theme song from "Fireball XL-5," the first drink is on me when we finally meet up!
Bill - you got me on that one. I would have had to at least heard of the show and i have never heard of this show! You win!
Here's the Fireball XL-5 theme song with lyrics. A tune so catchy it's been my earwig for many years:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed0jsVgIHu8
I'll still buy the drink...
Bill - wow. I have never heard of this show or this song. Boy I hope they don't have that question on the game show so I can still will my zillioins.
Haha, now the tune is in my head, but I never knew the lyrics, so thanks!
You do have a talent lady and I hope those zillions are right around the corner that you will get there "Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet." Don't remember theme songs but amazed at the really old songs I know by rote. I always said if Pythagorean's Theorem had be put to a good beat, I'd know it today.
Patti, that is nice of you to say but I happen to know it's not true. Perhaps you'd like to share what the hell my talent is then cuz I don't know!! I'm so dumb I only know that Pythogoreans Theorem is a math thing right? or geometry, which I took for 2 weeks only. Hey, I cam barely add so you are way out of my league!! :-)
Post a Comment