Wednesday, February 29, 2012

R.I.P. Davy Jones

I am a child of this era.
I grew up loving Davy Jones. (although Mickey Dolenz was my big crush)
I had to sneak watching The Monkees when I was 12 years old because my father thought it was "garbage" and besides his Gunsmoke was on.
This was before the age of TV's in every room so that everyone could watch their own shows.
Nope we had to watch TV as a family. And there was no way my father was going to let me watch those long hair hippies.

I loved The Monkees. I read Tiger Beat. They were on the covers for years!
I can still sing the theme song by heart. (okay that is a talent of mine. I can sing you most theme songs from the 60's and 70's...more on that later)
Here they are orginally back in the 60's.

So today when it was announced that Davy Jones of The Monkees had died from a heart attack it made me sad. I know you are all mourning Whitney. I didn't feel that. Sad as it was it didn't affect me one way or the other. Another celebrity, it's sad, move on.
This I feel. He was of my generation and we are dropping like flies. Oh sure he was older than me but its still my generation. And the mortality of it all bitch slaps you in the face.

I last saw him on Dr. Phil a little less than 1 year ago. I happened to be flipping channels one night when I had my ever present insomnia and Dr. Phil was being repeated locally. I saw he was on, so I stayed on the channel. He and his young wife were on. He looked great, he sang and sounded great too.
Several years ago when they began to make the rounds as an old act touring again. (probably because the money was running out) I met them.
They looked like this then.  (Nice mullets.)

I was working at the ticket counter of an airline at the time (very early 80's) and they came up to the ticket counter like any customer would. Now granted there was only 1 gate in this little town and it was before 9/11 so there wasn't a big deal on security.
I looked up and it was Mickey Dolenz. I turned into a 13 year old girl all over again.
I smiled like a big ole dufus and said, "Hey, You're Mickey Dolenz."
What a horses ass!  I wanted a trap door as soon as it came out of my mouth.
He so kindly said in a surprised tone, "oh my God I am!"  He then laughed and asked my name. (apparently unable to read my name tag)
They were all very nice and I tried to refrain from being a total giggling drooling 13 year old girl. Inside I was dying to scream and hug them.  Inside I remained cool (or so I thought) and checked their bags, gave their tickets and left them with, "so nice to meet you. I have enjoyed your music for years." 
OMG what a profound dope!!!!!!!!!  Who says that shit?!
The airport was abuzz and people were pointing and looking at them but no one came over to them.  And when I say people there were never tons of people.....think the terminal on the tv show Wings.

So that was my brush with Davey Jones and The Monkees.
I'm sad he passed away so young.  I feel so damn old.

9 comments:

basura said...

I don't know if their TV show is on DVD (I'm too lazy to look it up) but if you get ANTENNA TV they show episodes every weekend.

I get a kick out of their slapstick.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hi Baura, and welcome!!
I don't have antenna tv but I have caught some on Nick at Nite. I can't believe how silly it is. Of course I was a kid so it probably didn't seem silly to me at the time. After his death they may do one of those marathons on TVLand.
I'd watch for the music.

Mike said...

What's scary is that he was only 66. That is not old anymore. What's even scarier is his wikipedia page is updated already.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, you're right 66 isn't that old. I am going to be 56 Sunday. My mortality staring me in the face. Sure do get reflective as we age don't we? Well I should speak for myself. I do not know your age. 29 right?

Julie H said...

I remember watching them sometimes when I was a kid, I don't know if they were the originals or re-run type ones.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie I will pretend you watched the originals as a kid. But the realistic me figues it was probably reruns. :-)

mamahasspoken said...

I remember that they were on every Saturday around noon. I watched them because no one else wanted the tv at that time. They were too busy doing chores ;o) When I heard he passed today the only song going through my head was day dream believer, one of my favorite songs.

Leisa said...

So sad to hear this. He was a little before my time but I still know Monkees songs and used to watch reruns of their tv show.

Ms. A said...

I think this one might get me more than Whitney, too. Plus, I'm not aware of any behaviors that would have driven HIM to the grave, before his time. Hers were obvious.