Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fire Update and Assorted Ramblings

Update on the fire.....
We are hearing rumblings that the home that started the fire was about to go into foreclosure.
Could they have thought this was the answer?
I hope that isn't true.
I don't see how that would help them. It will be found out if that is true.

When I moved out of my parents home my father gave me 2 fire extinguishers.
He also gave me a ladder to drop out my window should I need to escape.
How funny is that?
Only my father.
Those were my housewarming gifts from my father.
I remember getting these 'gifts' and thinking, why would you give me these?
Now as an adult I get it.
At one point when my sister and I lived together I had the ladder in it's box sitting in my bedroom. She would joke it was for a quick get away for the guys I slept with.
(that made me sound slutty didn't it?)
I still have these too. Thankfully neither I, nor any of the men I slept with, had to use the ladder or the extinguisher.

My dog is having horrific allergy issues. 
She has runny goopy crusty eyes and itchy skin and paws.
I gave her 1/2 a benadryl today and she is snoring at my feet.
I feel bad drugging her but it's the only way she can stop the itching.
She seems so miserable. Add that to the tick bite on her tail and the poor thing is a mess.
We got the tick out and thankfully her medicine works because it was dead.
But she can't stop itching/biting at the area of her tail where the bump is remaining.
At this rate she won't have any fur there.

She and Rick are really suffering with the allergies this year.
I guess due to the warm weather it's worse for everyone.
Knock on wood, so far mine are mild. But give it time.
I'm sure once the trees officially bloom I'll be a damn hot mess too.

I will be going out of town this week.
I'm heading north to celebrate my step mom's 70th birthday.
I have a ton of things to accomplish here in the office as well as my home before I make this trip.
So I will not be blogging until next week.
But I am sure this many days with family will be blog fodder and hey, isn't that what's it about?
Either that or I kill them and you'll see me on CNN.
I think blog fodder and finding the humor may be the way to go.

11 comments:

Carolyn said...

Have a fun trip!!

I hope you'll keep us updated on that fire. That would be horrible if they did it on purpose!!

Mike said...

Dogs and benadryl. Been there many times.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - so I'm not a bad mommy?
A whole one makes her hyper - a 1/2 makes her beyond sleepy.

Ms. A said...

Don't feel a bit bad about giving her the Benadryl, if it helps! You might even try wetting her tick bite and sprinkling on some meat tenderizer and see if it helps. It works on the kids for ant bites, mosquito bites and it worked great for jellyfish stings!

Try to enjoy your trip. I'll look forward to the outcome, I'm sure!

Unknown said...

Have fun, and can't wait to read about your escapades upon your return!

mamahasspoken said...

My female lab has allergies too! It got so bad, we had to take her to the vet. We tried several types of medicines, nothing worked, so we paid $200 to have a blood sample taken and analysed as to what she is allergic to. Vet says he never saw a dog who had so many allergies including most trees, grasses, weeds, dust, dust mites, dirt, and even cats. Yes cats. We had to pay $250 for her 'specialized serum' that we have to inject into her every four days but it has made a HUGE difference not only in the scratching, licking and biting but her skin/fur feels so soft we now love petting her again! Needless to say, we have spent a small fortune on this dog (as of this post around a thousand)and with hubby still unemployed, it's money that could be used else where. But we loved the damn dog and couldn't take her being in such misery any more. She is too young to put down and we are not the type of dog owners to get rid of her because of it. Instead, we've just let it be known that our tax return went to help 'the family' if you know what I mean. I just hope I don't have to buy another bottle of serum any time soon.....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mamma/Bonnie I would have done the same thing. Only difference is we got pet insurance when she was born. So it is only $27 a month.
It would pay for that less than 10%.
It is a 90/10. We have a deductible but each time she has been in the hospital we say, "that paid for itself" It's been a life saver for us. I don't want to think about her care in terms of cost you know? Like you said, She's family.

Anonymous said...

Our dog has a dermatologist. I don't have much of a 401k, but the dog, the dog sleeps well.
I think I've said this before, but I like your dad. Have a wonderful week Peg.

Lizbeth said...

YOr dog sounds like my husband....sigh. Have fun on your trip!!!

PS--I k now you'll be out but I tagged you in a Meme. Sorry!!!!

Julie H said...

Well I guess that wouldn't be the first time someone set a fire on purpose for that reason. Around here (foreclosure capital of the world) people were stripping EVERYTHING out of the houses when they left.

I hope you survive your trip!

PAPS said...

Hope you enjoy your trip out of town. Also hope you dog gets well soon.
www.thoughtsofpaps.com