Thursday, March 29, 2012

Technology

Remember when I told you my husband can do, make or fix anything but technology?
If it has anything to do with the DVR, remote control, stereo etc I have to do it.
Shhh.....don't tell him I told you. I think he fears they will take away his man card.

I remember when we moved to Seattle.
We didn't have TV for awhile waiting for the cable company.
They finally arrived and handed me all the remotes etc and left.
Rick was leaving for work and said, "do you think we'll have TV by the time I get home?" 
Oh this was too easy I had to fuck with him. "Gee I don't know if I can figure it all out in 8 hrs Rick. You may have to take me to a movie and dinner."  He fell for it. 
Of course within minutes I had all tv's set up, hooked up the DVD player, hooked up the VCR (before DVRs)  and all shows programmed that we needed etc.
He calls this type of event when his TV fairies do it all. (sort of like his laundry fairies)

So imagine his panic when he found out that Dish Network people were coming out on Saturday and taking our DVR boxes and switching them to the Hopper and the Joey's.
Yeah, I know cute Kangaroo names for a DVR is weird to say the least.
I mean this isn't Australia. Anyway I digress....

When I told him they would be taking away our DVR's he looked at me with sheer and utter panic in his eyes and said, "What about all the stuff on the DVR we haven't watched?
How will I know when my shows are on?"

"Well calm down there cowboy it will be fine.
You'll know when your shows are on because I am the one that programs them for you.
I'm still here and I'll program them again for you. 
The shows we have on the current DVR's we can put on an external hard drive and you won't miss a thing."

"Oh."

Then it dawned on him and he turned around and said, "You know Margaret that sounds good but can you really do that and is there such a thing for the TV?"

"Hey mister I'm not just cute I'm smart too."

"Yea, you're a smart ass all right but can this really be done?"

"If it can't we'll find out now won't we?
And listen you better watch it or you'll never seen that stupid ass show Survivor ever again!"
(I HATE that show!)

I love it - I now have the power!

5 comments:

Julie H said...

I used to be good at that stuff but now I just have my kids do it ;) They can figure it out so much faster.

Ms. A said...

I can program our shows, but didn't know you could put them on an external hard drive. I only recently found out that I can watch the shows I missed (or some sporting event screwed up the time on the recording) on the computer, the same day I missed them.

mamahasspoken said...

I also have the sons who do this kind of stuff for me. Though I didn't know about the external hard drive thingy (but I am proud of myself for know what it is!). The problem we have around here is four people who like to record their shows (they don't like commercials)at the same time but then no one can watch that tv because of the DVR box.
I've seen the commercials for hopper (I'm not the one who is as bad as them about it)and it drives me nuts. I think it's their accent. I've been having an aversion to anyone who sounds like they are from New Jersey....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie you crack me up. That's a Boston accent and that's part of the joke. Not even close to new jersey.

Anonymous said...

People not being able to record what they want, when they want and still being able to watch something else is an issue that I have heard over and over again in my years working here at DISH. I have that very same issue in the past with my previous setup. Now that I have a Hopper this is no longer the issue that it once was thanks to the PrimeTime Anytime feature that actually records four channels at once. With this feature enabled, the Hopper will record everything from ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox during the primetime hours and allows my kids to watch what they want on the other two tuners. This way nothing gets missed and nobody is forced to watch what is being recorded.