Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Holiday Weekend

It was a whirlwind of events this past weekend. None of which were a ton of fun sadly.
It also rained every damn day except the day we had to leave to come home. Figures.

On the way down to the lake house on Thursday night we were sitting in traffic and realized that everyone must have decided to get a jump start on the weekend by making a mass exodus out of the city. As we sat idling in traffic and an hour away from home I realized that I had forgotten my medication. I could not go 4 days without my medication or all hell would break loose. So we had to turn around. I must admit Rick was a much better sport about this than if he had done it and I had to turn around. Whew!  Thankfully this good mood of his continued because I was an idiot most of the weekend. 

We were back on the road again with just one more pit stop to allow the dog to get out and pee. We were making pretty good time as soon as we got away from the city. We were thrilled. About 1 hour from the lake we saw flashing lights and as we were going down the hill we could see this line of cars and police everywhere up on the crest of the hill.
We went a few more feet and there was a road sign that said, be prepared to stop for a sobriety check point - have all documentation ready.

I had never been through anything like this and thought it was odd that on a Thursday night at 7:30pm there would be a sobriety check but what do I know.  So of course I got out all the documentation as Rick drove and I grabbed my flip camera. I thought it'd be fun to capture this  interesting array of lined up cars and the zillion of police etc. I took photo's of the 15 police cars on my side of the road and then the big sign in the middle of the street telling you about the test.  I was even filming the female police officer who came to our window and asked for our license and registration and asked where we were going.  Odd why did she need to know that I wondered out loud and received no answer. I asked if she caught a lot of people and she looked right into the camera and said, "too many" and then told us to have a nice weekend and drive safely and that was that.
Then my camera just turned itself off.
"Hey Rick the camera just turned itself off. What is that about?"

"Oh Margaret you didn't hit the record button"

"Sure I did! I filmed this the whole way back from the beginning of this line of cars"

"Then try watching it and see what you got."

I turned it on and there was nothing! Damn it, he was right! I so hate when that happenes.

"Well did you get anything?"

"No"....I mumbled.

He laughed hysterically. "Oh that's my wife! Good thing you're cute"
(good thing he's blind because I am not cute)

So then all weekend when I was taking videos he would shout, "Are you sure it's on?"
I wanted to punch him but how could I?
I did the damn stupid thing and all weekend I did dumb things that gave him fodder.

I hate when that happens.

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

Sounds like something I would do too!!! I have never been pulled over for a soberity test. i think even if i was sober, I would be nervous! Those things look tough!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carolyn all they did was ask for our license and registration and where we were going- then off we went.
I thought it would be so much more. Maybe because it was only Thursday at 7:30p and not the holiday yet. I get nervous driving over to Canada through customs even though I have no reason to be. I always feel like i will admit to war crimes I never committed if they start interrogating me.

Ms. A said...

Thank goodness hubby still pulls the majority of the stupid stuff, but I've been known to have those times, too. I'm always extremely humiliated and embarrassed. It tickles the spit outta hubby, when it's my turn. I have to admit, I'm not a good sport about it.

flask said...

you know what i'd do?

i'd drive around again and go through the line a second time so i could get pictures.

yes i would.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

flask - now that's funny. He was driving so there was no way he'd wait in line again for another 45 minutes like the first time just so I could get the pictures.

Anonymous said...

i've been through a few of this checkpoints. (they always have them ALL OVER Florida) ive never had to take a sobriety test or anything, they usually ask to see all my identification and then send me on my way.

but yeah, the entire thing is incredibly stressful and i think most cops do their best to make you feel guilty, even if youve done nothing.

Julie H said...

I'm always confused about the video thing on my camera, can never tell when it's on lol.