Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spell Check

Back in 2005 when Rick was in HR he received a lot of resumes.
He never ceased to be shocked at all the misspelled words or the wrong words used in a sentence. (ex: deer sir instead of dear sir)

He knows I can't spell for shit. He also knows that spell check will tell me they have no idea what I am trying to spell because I am so far off.  When I was sending out resumes, cover letters, or doing my job and needed to have my presentations read with another set of eyes he was my go to guy.  You would never believe how many times I yell to him, "how do you spell.....?"  I understand all those people who would send their resumes off with spelling errors because I have the same issue. The only difference is I have other people look my work over before sending. (unlike my blog where you all just read it with the errors right there for all to see!)

There were days when he would bring home a resume to show me the things that made him angry.  One girl had her email listed as yourbabysmama@xyz.com on her resume.
Another gal's resume listed her email as kinkysexkathy@xyz.com.
These young women were looking for corporate jobs and they weren't smart enough to get a different email at yahoo or gmail just for their job search?

One of my favorites was from a man who wrote his cover letter as though he was responding to Match.com. He actually listed how he liked walks on the beach and good red wine etc.  FOR A JOB!!  No, not a job to be a sommelier either.
Sadly Rick had a file of resumes like this that he kept just for humor.

One day he called my office to read to me the latest cover letter and resume that made him mad. He was genuinely appalled.  I suggested that perhaps this young woman who was applying for an entry level job needed help not ridicule.  It obviously was her first job out of college unlike some of the others. 

He responded flippantly with, "I have circled all her errors should I send it to her?" 

I said, "Actually yes, with a note that says you want to help her. She won't get a job if no one tells her this Rick.  Maybe she just needs some help"  

Of course he feels if they have gone through 4 years or more of college they should know this.
Yes, well if sense were really common more people would have it was my retort to him.
There was no logic for this phenomenon it just was and he had to learn how to deal with it.
He felt each year the people got worse in every aspect.

I understood his frustration. He got so many resumes that were poorly written or cover letters with the most common of words misspelled or used in correctly. He was frustrated that when people came in for interviews they were cocky, had entitlement issues as well as dressing inappropriately. (that went for men and women) One person actually said to him after his tour of the company that he couldn't work at this company because they only had coffee and not an espresso machine in the lunchroom. Rick thought he was joking and laughed. He was not joking. He got up and left.

So back to crazy girl with the red circles and comments Rick made on her resume.
What did he decide to do?  He calmed down and thought about it. Then he called her. 
He tells her that her cover letter and resume needed work and the reasons why he makes this statement. He tells her he wants to help her and why this must be hindering her job search.  He asked her if anyone had called her for any interviews. She said no one has called her back and she was getting frustrated. He sent her back her resume with all the circles and comments and they went over it together. She thanked him for helping her see why she wasn't getting called for any of the jobs she had applied for. Then she cried.  She told him it was from being thankful that he took the time to help her not because she was pissed at him or upset in any way. He told her that she will be fine if she makes the changes because her skill sets were most certainly marketable. In the mean time he filled the position at his company.

Three weeks later she called Rick to tell him that she sent out her new resumes and cover letters and that 3 companies called her. After her interviews she was offered 2 of the 3 jobs.
She thanked Rick over and over again for taking the time to help her.

To think he was so angry he was just going to send her back her resume with red circles and comments with no kind words of encouragement. Once he calmed down I believe he did the right thing.  

This below reminded me of that situation.  This would be something he would do.
Rick would be inclined to antagonize this person and enjoy every minute of it.
I would shake my head and think it was terribly mean. But I admit on this one I would laugh!

13 comments:

Ms. A said...

That is hilarious!!! I laughed out loud.

Kudos to Rick! Way to go, Dude.

alessandra said...

OMG the facebook thing was funny! Anyway she should have thanked YOU :D

flask said...

rick is awesome.

as for the facebook family, if you're having a family conference about a problem, why are you all on facebook?

Tracy said...

Awww, good for your husband for helping that girl; how else would she find out if someone didn't tell her? Now about those e-mail addresses? GeezLouise, really? where is the common sense? or self pride?
the fb entry was LOL funny!

Mike said...

Did he start off the conversation with the girl - "My wife's making me do this."

An Danal was write. tey wer makin it to easiy.

Check out my post number 936 - http://mikenet707.blogspot.com/2009/10/936-spellin-and-checkin.html

Julie H said...

That's awesome he helped that girl!

BUT, ugh my friend is THE worst speller ever!! And she works at a school! I'm like, you have SPELL CHECK. See those little lines under the word? It will fix it FOR YOU! Sometimes it takes me a couple minutes just to figure out what she is talking about lol.

Zuzana said...

What a lovely sentiment in this post - it only reinforces a belief that I have. And that is that kindness and goodness always work. We never know how a very simple action, such as the one you describe here, can entirely change someones life.
Thank you also for a few laughs; the FB page, the email-addresses are hilarious and the guy that left because of the coffee machine - wow, some people are from another planet I guess or they just do not take life seriously.;)) In moments when it should be taken that way.;)
Thank you also so much for stopping by my place and for your very kind words.;)
xoxo

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

flask - great point. Nice familiy dynamic huh? ah, but they put the FUN in dysfunctional. :-)

Tracy - I loved those email addresses too. Makes me shake my head every time he'd call me with another one. It became sport for him. As I said in the post if sense were really common more people would have it, don't you think?

Mike - your poem was a hoot and took me way too long to read. I had a hard time trying to understand...and I can't spell well.

Julie - you should read Mike's poem.

Zuzana - I love your blog so i am always there just may not always comment. Thanks for stopping by my little world.

Anonymous said...

this is a really sweet story and i think its awesome that rick took the time to help that girl.

and the facebook thing is hilarious.

Karen said...

That was so kind of him. It's surprising that some of the applicants had never been taught some of the basics. My son, now a college sophomore, learned how to write a proper cover letter and put together a resume his first semester in college. As well, don't most universities have career counseling centers to help students with this?

I'm still appalled at the guy who wouldn't consider the job because of the coffee situation.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Resumes are bad enough in and of themselves, but now that employers can go on FB and check out who you are and what you're up to, and what your friends are up to, it's amazing anyone ever gets a job at all. I'm often surprised on FB, how badly many of my friends spell and write and how they play every stupid detail of their lives out, including having fights with their spouse! Yet, I still go on there. Weird. A friend of mine hires for Johnson and Johnson. Out of 1700 applicants he goes over the resumes first and throws away any that don't have key words like, experience, values, ethics. (Actually, a computer does that). Then he checks out their FB and My Space pages. And YES, he can get any and all info past and present off these sites no matter how tight you have it shut down, or if you have deleted it. He then ends up with 3 candidates and hires 1 (one). I reiterate this to my kids every day. Don't know how much it helps - young people still have the notion that FB is private and that spelling and grammar don't count anymore. Your Rick is a nice guy and nicer still because of you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tia/Cottage - YES, that whole myspace/FB thing is exactly something Rick used. And it never was a positive. I don't understand why people use it to begin with but i'm an old fuddy duddy. You can send photo's a plethora of other ways so that excuse is just silly. One of the people who had an inappropriate email address he went to her site on FB - it was worse. he did not want this type of person in this position so she did not get hired. how bloody dumb are these 20 somethings??????

flask said...

yeah, just send it to me in an email.

i'll play with it and see what i can get.

i don't guarantee FAST work, but if i get it on an upswing...

just looking at the photo as it's posted i don't expect i can make it perfect, but fer sure i can at least clean it up some.

either way, it don't hurt ta try.