Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Glasses that Sparkle

In my comments on yesterdays post Mike left me a URL for that $6,300 toilet.

http://kohler.com/numipressrelease/#comfort.html
If you didn’t see it – check it out.
If I had this toilet I would not need my husband…..or batteries.

Now to an important topic that has been bugging me. (it sounds like a 50's housewife!)
Have you noticed your glassware is cloudy and has a white film after you take them out of the dishwasher lately? I have been moaning about this of late. I normally use Cascade and I have Jet Dry in that little compartment that is especially for this product. It is to make the glasses sparkle and not have water spots. Honestly my glasses come out of the dishwasher looking worse than when they went in. I have been bitching about this for months now but Rick seems to have been tuning me out. (not really anything new but still damn annoying)

Monday night Rick unloaded the dishwasher and he began complaining at how the glasses looked. Holding them up to the light he was saying, “Margaret look at these, they look terrible. We just had this dishwasher fixed, what is wrong here? Did you put enough Cascade in here? Did you forget the Jet Dry?”  Yep, it's all my fault.

I was ready to just pummel him with a cloudy looking piece of stemware but instead I decided to remind him that I have been telling him this for months. I don’t understand what is going on. He ended up washing the glasses. So I suppose the cloudy film was good for something.

Then last night on the local news the consumer correspondent had a story on why so many people are having this issue with their glasses. Yeah!  It wasn’t just me.
Apparently the government had them take out all the phosphates. So now by law my glasses will always look like crap. Without phosphates the glasses and dishes will always be cloudy and have a film on them. There is nothing that can be done about it apparently.
I found this story online about it. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/19/science/earth/19clean.html
Honestly I was happy to know it wasn’t me or my dishwasher. But seriously I want my phosphates back damn it.

I did find that I could buy some detergent with phosphates online. I may be inclined to do so. I hate these cloudy dishes. I am torn. I realize this is a good thing that our waters are not being polluted and that sea life isn’t being hurt but seriously my dishes look like crap.

I know, I know, I could just hand wash everything and stop being so damn lazy.
Yesiree, you’re going to see me doing that just as soon as I rub my clothes along this rock….

15 comments:

Bilbo said...

Don't get too upset. "The government" may have taken away your phosphates, but if you just vote Republican, they'll get the $#%@! government out of the business of regulating and taxing your dishwasher detergent and back to making the world safe for billionaires, where it belongs. So there!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bilbo - oh no I can't vote for those asshats....dirty glasses be damned.

Raquel's World said...

Okay,,, here's my question. If something clear is cloudy than there must be a buildup on it..right? Doesn't that mean it is not clean?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well there smarty pants Raquel....you would be technically correct. Go to the head of the class. You get a star and a sticker. :-) Now can you just figure out how to do this without having to hand wash all my dishes?
C'mon I know you've got it in you woman. (did u get my vm?)

Mike said...

Psssstt..... wanna buy some phosphates?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - close that trenchcoat....now yes, what do they cost on the black market these days?

Ms. A said...

I don't use a dishwasher, other than my two hands, or hubs. Your dishes may suffer, but you are better off without the phosphates. Just my opinion.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ms. A - beets are good for me too and I hate them. I'd prefer a cadbury egg.

Anonymous said...

ha. i had no idea this was an issue because i always hand wash. interesting. my dishwasher is neglected. maybe i'll use it tonight just so i can see these cloudy spotty glasses.

mamahasspoken said...

And this is why you should use paper or plastic ;o)
just kidding, just kidding....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie - don't do it. I guess I'll just have to hand wash damn it.

Mamma - now that is funny!!!

Gal Friday said...

I guess I haven't been paying too much attention to how my glasses have been looking out of the dishwasher.
I HATE to handwash dishes(so was amazed to read some comments by people who LIKE to wash dishes by hand!0, so will try to overlook any phosphate-free automatic dishwasher detergent washed cloudy glassware.
BTW, how's the foot???

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Gal Friday - I will drive less and drive a prius, I will recycle, I will not use plastics, I will do all I can to save the oceans. I will not wash dishes by hand. I will not pound my clothes on rocks to clean then, I will use a stove and refridgerator and all that freon in the fridge that hurts the planet. :-)

My foot is so much better. The shot helped immensley and the rest of the issue is tendonitis. So it will be with me for a long time but I can live with this!! Thx!

alessandra said...

LOL! washing dishes by hand is just boring, you know.

Julie H said...

We don't have a dishwasher so we don't have that problem. I wish I had that problem.