Then there were two of us and we moved several times for one or the others career.
Most cities I couldn’t wait to move to. Some I couldn’t wait to leave.
But there are some cities I always wanted to live in and never got to.
Chicago is a big one. Oh how I love Chicago!!
Except for the winter I can’t think of a whole lot about Chicago I don’t like.
I love the people. I love the city. God knows I love the food. I love the shopping;
I love the architecture…….and on and on.
I always thought I wanted to live in a little New England town as well.
(okay but not Massachusetts for some reason)
But when I am really honest with myself I wonder if I could really be happy in a very small town. I’m not so sure. I’d like to try it and find out though. The summers would be glorious. Winters….well maybe not so much but the beauty in those parts each time I’ve been there have been terrific. But I have never gone up there past Thanksgiving time either.
Aside from where I grew up I have not lived anywhere as long as I have here.
Rick and I have moved a great deal in our lives together and separately for our careers.
We moved west for an opportunity for him and then we moved back east for my career opportunity. We never thought we’d be here more than 5 years. We really believed that within 3 years we would be moving, but we gave it 5 just in case. Here it is 11 years later and we are ready to move. Life’s funny like that.
When we got here we loved it so. The winters were mild and after coming from Seattle we loved the sunshine. We also loved the friendly warm people here unlike what we encountered while in Seattle. Somewhere your neighbors say and wave hello before they even know your name. Then there was the idea of unpacking yet again which made us think we’d be here for a little while longer this time. But 11 years? Never in a million years did we think it would be 11 years and we would still be here let alone not looking like we’d be moving anytime soon.
Over this past weekend Rick and I admitted to one another how we were ready to move. But we also know we can’t. We are upside down on our mortgage. So to sell we’d have to bring a lot of money to the table. And the biggest reason is because we are now self employed and we can’t just pick up and move to another city/state and start again....we are no longer 22.
Rick did make me laugh when he reminded me that all of our moves have been paid by a company we worked for. Not only paid for the moving but paid to have someone come to our home and pack everything up and carry it away and unload it to the rooms we wanted them in. Yea, that was always pretty damn sweet. We had to unpack and heaven knows I am not a fan of unpacking either. But he's right, that is a big expense we've never had to pay for that we would be paying for now and doing some of it ourselves.
We were discussing if this desire to move is because we have done it so much in our lives that it’s what we are used to doing. Are we itching to move because we’ve never been in one place this long and we are just not familiar with this? Or is it because of wanderlust? I certainly don’t care if we don’t move to another city. We both are fine if we stay right here. (Although come election time when those damn political ads start running I know we’ll be looking to move to Canada or some other country!!) We are okay if we are to stay here just ready to move on. We both have that itch to move and it’s really unsettling.
In the mean time I guess I will just have to live vicariously and keep watching House Hunters on HGTV. These couples frustrate me I must admit. They never pick the house I would chose or worse yet they never pick the ones with all the things they SAY they want. Why is that? When they do that I am then inclined to yell at my TV as though they can not only hear me but will realize I am right and that they will regret it if they don't change their choice. I think I just need to look at the bright side.
Watching this may not quite be the same as getting to move right now but at least I’m not unpacking.


16 comments:
I've lived in four places in my 64 years. When my wife and I got married (35 years ago) we bought our house and have been here ever since.
We've lived in this house for 34 this May. I've never lived in any other state. Now, with the kids and grandkids, it's doubtful I could EVER move. Plus, it would take AT LEAST two weeks, just to unload the attic! All the accumulated crap in this house would fill a football field. *shudder
PS: I mentioned your typo and you didn't bother to tell me I had one, bigger than Dallas, plastered on my forehead. And I thought we were friends. Pfffffft! *wink
I've lived in the same county all my life.... I've thought about moving once the sons were gone but have changed my mind. Oh well, some day...
Mike, Ms A,& Mamma -
WOW. 34, 35 and all your life. That is a long time. I think it's pretty nice that you have lived in one place so long. I'm sure I'll be here until they take me away in a box. Just not this same house. :-)
i feel like im finally happy where i am and i no longer feel that itch to move. who knows how i'll feel in 10 years though?
i do have a dream of living just one winter in a hotel in NYC. i know thats nuts and completely far fetched, but the idea just sounds magical.
Tammie - boy would i love your winter in NYC!!!
Do you think you will want to move - not from Portland but like me just possibly a different house?
I like it here so that's not a bad thing. just want to leave this particular suburb and house.
Peg....about living in New England....it's fabulous! Our town has 1533 people....and no stop light. Love it! Of course, you really have to plan, cuz at 9:00 at night, it's a 25 minute drive to get milk!
If you ever think to make a major move again, you should try a house exchange, just to see if you like the area. My friends have made dozens....mostly to Europe for vacation....and they swap for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. Really gives you a chance to see a place, and live in it like regular folks (not tourists), and see if you like the town or area. Just a thought!
And hey....I grew up in Seattle (well, Bellevue) and we are all really nice over there....just a little damp is all! lol
Michael and I have moved so many times it's crazy, and I wrote about how we're always talking about where to move next (remember that blog post?). Part of it is wanderlust. Part is the desire to experience different parts of the country/world and see new people and places. But as we get older, the thought of actually DOING all that packing and moving makes our eyes cross.
Hmm I just commented and it did an error! Hope it doesn't go through 2x! I've lived in the same 45 mile radius my whole life. We moved into our house right after we got married so it will be 18 years this July. Sometimes I think it would be nice to just sell everything and move somewhere new. But my whole family is here and we get together almost every weekend. I'd miss them too much I think!
Julie, yep it was done 2x. no biggie.
I think the difference with everyone here and moi is that i don't want to be that close to my family.:-)
im with you, i dont want to be close to my family either.
and yeah, we eventually want a place right in the city-we're kinda in the 'burbs now. but for now, we're here because its easy for the kids, with school and all.
you guys got spoiled with all those company sponsored moves ;-) I'm the same way. I get very restless after about 5 years but my husband could stay in the same place for 50+ and as much as I love being near a city I think I could probably get along just fine out there in the country where no one could bother me :D
It seems like you are living in a good place(with friendly people--always a plus), if you are going to have to be "stuck" there a little longer(and moving--the packing and unpacking-- sucks!).
Lucky you, for all your experiences living all over(I have always lived in New England)--I *still* want to visit Chicago one day.
Funny, I want to move and think about it from time to time(want to move further north back up to Maine or New Hampshire) but hubby won't hear of it...(and we won't go anywhere anyway until the kid has graduated from high school). Ha! my verification code word is.."extina"!!
*Tina*
Tina - how 'bout we swap houses for a week or so in the fall? ...just kidding. My hubby would end up wanting to stay here and show you the town. I think you would like chicago. friendly folks, small town feel but a big city, great little neighborhoods, great music, art the whole ball of wax. i just love it and yet never lived there.
Post a Comment