Friday, April 8, 2011

Frustrating Friday


I am venting….you have been warned.

If your bathtub is pink we make it white.  You can see for yourself here.
If you bathtub is so old and stained and lost it’s shine we make it look brand new.
You have tile in your kitchen or bath that is a color you don’t care for we change it to anything in the color wheel of Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore.
Your formica countertops make your kitchen look dated but the cost of granite or quartz is not in your budget – the we make it look like quartz without the quartz cost. Without the removal and headache of tearing up your kitchen.
If you are selling your home and you need to give it an update for a low cost then you call us.
Ugly formica before - no longer ugly formica after

So if you call me and ask me how much it would cost to reglaze your tub I will then ask you questions. You answer and viola the price is given.
We do free in home estimate but sometimes people just want a ballpark or they don’t wish to take time off work for an estimate when they will have to just to get the job done.
And people, there are more than one type of bathtub. Don’t ask how much will it cost to reglaze my bathtub and assume I know if it is a claw foot tub, a Jacuzzi tub, a garden/soaking tub or a standard tub. So don’t be angry at me when I ask that question. Yesterday I was asked this very question at the end of my day. I asked what type of tub and it was a claw foot. Totally different cost and issue that had to be explained so it is important to know that and not get annoyed with me when I ask.
40% of the time it’s not a standard size tub so I attempt to ignore their heavy sighs of disgust like I’m the idiot and not them.

My main frustration (this past week) are the people who email me and it takes literally 3 friggin’ days or more because I have to ask them about the surface they want changed and then send the questions back the email. Then they write back with more questions and some answers and this goes on and on for a few days. In the mean time I have already booked another full week of appointments.

By the time this “afraid to speak on the phone” person finishes with all his emails he then asks when I can get him an appointment to get the job done. Then he is upset that he has to wait 2 weeks. Well guess what “person of no social skills” if you had just picked up the damn phone this would have been done in 5 minutes or less. You could have called back the next day and had the job done within a week or less. Aaargh!!!!!!! You have no idea how much this bugs me.

These are the same people who will not call to make an appointment. They wouldn’t pick up the phone to call 911 if their underpants were on fire. I can not make appointments via email. If I give a you a date and time NOW by the time this person responds I could have had 15 calls and appointments booked. I am not going to “hold” something to see if that date/time works for you. So they must be adults, pick up the phone and speak with me. I will not bite. I do not sell. I educate and coordinate your remodel.

I get there are shy people out there. I speak to a lot of them during the course of a day. You can tell they aren’t extroverts but they make a point of picking up the phone and telling me what they need in a short concise and polite manner. It’s over in an instant.
I love this people. I can tell they are shy so I normally will tone it down and make it short and sweet for them.

But the people who will only communicate via email are driving me crazy.
Sometimes in an email I will state that they do have to call to book their appointments and if they do so I will not sell them anything. I am only here to assist you in your remodel I say. I assume they are afraid of a hard sell or something. I can’t understand why else they won’t pick up the phone.

So why do people do this? You can order a pizza on line to be delivered but last time I checked you still had to call when you need to go to the doctor, dentist, get your car inspected, need landscaping, need a plumber etc. Is it because they found us online?

What do you guys think? Help me understand these people because they frustrate me so.

I think I need to go on a warm sunny vacation.

10 comments:

Gal Friday said...

Something to think about..it may be that many people are just too used to communication via e-mail rather than phoning now. How frustrating for you. Maybe you need to put in BIG LETTERS a note online about "you MUST at sometime phone us"?!

Also, there are SO many somewhat "dim" uncomprehending people out there!
I know, because I work with the public and to be fair, I also will admit that likely I have been THAT dim, annying customer myself.
For instance, at my job(custom picture frame place, as you may remember), we have people call us for an estimate on a framing job and they don't even know the size of the picture! Or the lady who came back with a picture we framed that she dropped at home and complained that we should have a warranty on glass so it doesn't break.
TGIF, Peg!!!
BTW, I would LOVE for your company to over to my place and re-do my kitchen counters and tub....

Raquel's World said...

I'm gonna clear it all up for you. I think some people have issues with sales people. Not saying that you are a sales person, but have you ever tried to call around for some info or a quote because you are just pondering something and the person you get on the phone or in the store is so overzealous to get your business they bully or pressure you into buying something you cannot afford or do not want?

The only way to get them to leave you alone is to be rude? This happens to me lots. I just have a question about a product and I get a whole 30 minute demonstration or sales pitch and it annoys the crap outta me. Sometimes you just need a basic answer.
While I am not saying that is what you do by any means I suspect that is the issue with the emailers. They don't really have a grasp on your side of things they just want some basic answer and think emailing will prevent them from having to deal with the whole sales pitch. Does this help?
Luv ya anyways!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Roc - apparently they do think I'll sell. but I can't give you the cost and have it be accurate if I don't know everything. So I have begun to put that in email as well as telling them I DO NOT SELL ANYTHING. Thx!

Tina/Gal - oh I know this is awful of me but seriously it makes me feel better that I am not the only one with the "dim" people. And in their defense I have asked some dumb questions as well but warranty on glass huh? oh my goodness!
Hey Rick and I'll be right up there. He can do the kitchen counters while you and I share some wine and chat. :-)

Julie H said...

I'd much rather do things through email than on the phone. Mostly because I sit on the computer all day lol. My husband has a bit of phone phobia. I don't get it. I tell him if you sound dumb on the phone when you call the dr to make an appt do you think they are going to care? Makes no sense to me.

Anonymous said...

i think in general our society is far too focused on doing things online. whenever i drop off my rent check the woman in the office says , "you know, you can pay this online." im on the computer enough as it is. whats wrong with getting out and talking to people from time to time?

that being said, i really dont like talking on the phone but i do it when i have to so everyone else should just grow a pair and do it too!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie - when i told rick all this yesterday as steam poured out my ears he said the exact same thing to me, just grow a pair. that's funny and too true.

Ms. A said...

I think in this day and age of texting and computering... we will eventually lose our social skills and only use our mouth to eat and drink.

alessandra said...

I so understand you, dealing with people is often frustrating, and I really think that you work too much. :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ms A - oh so true. but you see my mind as I read this went a completely different way. I'm a sick puppy i fear.

Alessandra - spoken like a true European!! We americans do work too much.

Carma Sez said...

I'll admit that email tends to be my preferred method of communication but when setting appointments I always call via old fashioned phone.

BTW, you guys are miracle workers - I see what you did with those tubs - fantastic!! if only you were closer. In the meantime I'll have my husband use those incredibly toxic industrial strength cleaners he picks up and I come home and vent out the house so we don't die.