Friday, January 14, 2011

Cookie Monster

Let's start with T.G.I.F.....FINALLY.

Hubby has been sick as yesterday's post told you.
He is not eating, which means I am not cooking.  HALLELUJAH!!

I have never liked cooking but since becoming gluten free it is such a pain in the ass some days.  I would love for it to be fast and that not mean another damn salad. To even be able to use a can of soup would be a thrill. But I can't.
Although I did have a great grilled chicken/blue cheese salad the other night. Yummy.
For some reason grilling the chicken while wearing your ear muffs and parka makes the chicken oh so much better.

Last night was no different on the dinner front. Rick did not want anything more than tea.
So I had a cup of brown rice because frankly I was too damn lazy to make anything else.
Not a good balanced dinner but it filled me up.

But I did find the energy to make bad things for me.
I made gluten free chocolate cookies. 
Because I receive a gluten free newsletter I get these recipes all the time. 
This one I printed because I knew arriving like clockwork would be that monthly chocolate craving  so the products were already in my pantry for when it was time. 
Last night it was time.

These cookies were so easy because I used a gluten free chocolate cake mix from Betty Crocker.  Added oil, vanilla and eggs.  Viola, cookie dough.  Rolled the balls in sugar and put them in the oven.  (yea, I know the sugar is oh so bad!)

These were so good that Sick Boy muttered from under his heating pad and blanket that he may want to try one.  They didn't make many.  Although the recipe said it made 4 dozen. 
It only made 2.  They could not have been made any smaller either.  Wonder where they came up with 4 dozen.

This morning I came downstairs to Rick taking a cookie out of the jar to have with his coffee.
I asked if he thought this was a good first food to ingest after not eating anything more than dry toast and tea for days.  He told me he dreamt about cookies and banana and strawberry smoothies. So he is obviously very hungry. I suggested cereal or perhaps some scrambled eggs but he wanted a cookie - hey his belly not mine.

These cookies are good.  Too good. Because they were too easy to make and they are gluten free.  I eat brown rice and then I have 2 cookies.  I have a problem. 

But seriously no one would know these were gluten free and I didn't need to use 3 different kinds of flours and other assorted agents like Xanthan Gum....what the hell is Xanthan Gum anyway?  (rheterotical because I kind of know but don't really want to know)

I know I have told you about my cookie company before. (if you haven't read that link before go ahead it's fun and short!)
The thing about that is that I have never ever made a cookie since. Last night was my first time. (not counting the Italian Christmas cookie, pizzelle) I must say it wasn't so bad. The key is being away from cookies for so long  I guess.  Hell I didn't even eat a cookie for 13 years.   Sadly I am now over it.

I think I need to work around wine and gin that may help my other "favorite things"

11 comments:

alessandra said...

I just can't blame him, nor you, for having cookies, who can resist?

Carolyn said...

can you talk a little more about the cookie company you owned?

mamahasspoken said...

Sometimes it's because you haven't had it in a long time that makes it sound so good.
Even when you are too sick to eat it.
Hope it stayed down for him.

Raquel's World said...

So I'll have to try to cook in earmuffs and the like and see if that improves some of my dishes.Gluten Free.....ick!
I saw on the view that Elisabeth Hasselhoff has a new Gfree cookbook and Gfree bars.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carolyn - seriously? or was that a joke?

Mama - it did stay down and I must say he is looking like a new man today. Not quite back but much better. Gee it's only been like 8 weeks of Mr. Cranky Sick Pants.

Raquel - I will buy NOTHING of that bitch sells. I will not give her a dime of my money. I would rather have root canal without drugs. gee, does that sound bitchy?...tee hee

regan said...

Ok, I have a sister in law that needs gluten free everything. Can we have the recipe to these cookies, please!

Sandra said...

I love that you found the silver lining in your hubby being sick. Mine usually takes up a lot of space on the couch complaining. Next time I'll think of it as a night off of cooking! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

i think carolyn is serious. ive always wanted to know more about your cookie company too. you always seem so secretive about it.

your cookies sound good, and its nice that you dont have to use xanthan gum. that stuff is so hard to work with. i have a bag of it in my fridge that i wil probably have until the end of time.

im glad rick is feeling better.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Sandra - you say yours takes up a lot of space on the couch complaining - trust me he did the same. He is a royal P.I.A when he is sick. I must trudge on - he is a big baby!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie - secretive really? WOW. Okay post will come soon with all the info with pictures included how's that?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Regan - here ya go.

1 box Betty Crocker Gluten Free devil’s food cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
¼ cup sugar

1. Heat over to 350. In large bowl, stir all ingredients except sugar with spoon until dough forms.

2. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in sugar. On ungreased cookie sheet place balls about 2 inches apart.

3. Bake 8 – 10 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute, remove from cookie sheet to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes, before storing in tightly covered container.

Please let me know how you like them.