When I was a very young girl and I would say something like, "I wish I was a teenager." Or "I wish I could drive, I wish I was tall etc."
My mom's retort was always, "Peggy, don't wish your life away"
I heard that in my head last night as Rick and I were walking the dog and the snow was coming down in big beautiful snowflakes. It was so quiet and it was only 7:30pm. The sky was black and there were no cars around just snow crunching under foot.
It seemed like it was just the 3 of us out in the world.
I think everyone was hunkered down for the storm we were to get.
Rick and I were holding gloved hands and Izzy was off leash and walking a few steps in front of us. Just as Rick said to be careful I slipped and went down. He and Izzy were all over me getting me back up on my feet when I heard myself say, "I wish it were spring"
But you know what I don't want spring just yet.
I heard in my head my mom saying to me, "Peggy don't wish your life away"
Last night was absolutely beautiful. A snow sky is so incredibly black and the street lights really made the snow seem even whiter if possible, against that sky.
It was such a pretty snow.
Right out of a picture book. Everything looked clean and white and fluffy.
So I shook that wish away and really really enjoyed our walk. I must say I do regret not having my camera but honestly I don't know that I could have captured this beauty.
I haven't seen a snow like that in such a very long time. Or maybe I just haven't stopped to notice. Probably more of the latter.
We walked for just over an hour.
We got home and Rick made his famous hot cocoa (with dutch cocoa) with a hint of peppermint schnapps.
It really was a wonderful winter evening.
Norman Rockwell would have been proud.
15 comments:
It is WAY too cold to go for a walk around here! On a good note, I ordered new walking shoes yesterday in the hopes it will eventually warm up enough to walk. , I even told my sis about them, and she ordered some too. Got them for 45% off, with no S&H. Can't go to the store for that!
I hope you aren't sore today!
Your walk in the snow sounds wonderful. I'm not much for going out into it but I do love watching it from the warmth of my home.
Linda - actually I did hurt my hip on that fall. But a few advil and I'll be fine in a few days!
I got those sketcher walking shoes and I'll tell you they do give you a great work out.
It's cold here too but it wasn't windy so I could handle the 30 degrees. Is it colder than that where you live?
Mama Bonnie - normally I am a bit like you look out but this was so worth it!
I love watching the snow come down when I'm safe at home. I only bitch and wish for spring when it's time for me to leave my house and go to work. lol
It is -3 right now (9AM CT). The hubs is staying home, and I am staying inside.
I purchased my shoes (New Balance) from Amazon. I love Amazon. I even bought my perfume this year from them. Cheaper than I've ever gotten it from a dept. store, and no S&H!
I'd advise anyone to try them first.
I love the snow! It means better skiing! Yippee!
All these folks wishing for Spring just haven't found a way to enjoy the snow!
Enjoy your walks!
What a great evening. It hasn't snowed where I live in California since 1976. That is too long to not be in snow. I am back, I took a blog vacation.
Clare - welcome back!
We've sure missed you.
Hope all is well in sunny California and you and your family are doing well!
What a lovely, endearing side of you Peg. I could actually picture you , Rick , and Izzy walking in the snow. So sweet.
Norman would definitely have been proud. You seem so happy and content lately :-) which is wonderful!!! That's probably one of the secrets to living a long and happy life - to get to the point where you can appreciate the simple things in the way that you did during your walk.
oh, and to not wish your life away ;-)
What a beautiful experience! And yes you can find happiness in the smallest ordinary things.
Ha! I say that to my kids too!
Just be in the moment! I should change my phrase to that.
this is such a pretty post.
I have been the same way, half hating the cold and wanting the spring to be here NOW, and then half loving the cold, pristine picture book beauty with the deep snow everywhere.
My husband likes to make me hot cocoa with Rumplemintz in it, too(it is a kind of peppermint schnapps)--too weird!
Post a Comment