Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lists

The majority of the blogs I read has everyone making lists.

I have failed terribly at this task when I tried.

First there was Tammie's, The 10 clothing items that make her cringe.
Her list was interesting and funny.
I made mine and I sounded like a judgemental nut job.
(okay but really Oregon & Washington State must stop wearing socks with sandals!)

Then there was Lindsay's bucket list.
I had done everything on her list except for a mere couple, which I wouldn't want to do.
Gee, I'm not ready to die.
So I made up my own bucket list.
Know what I learned?
I learned that I'm pretty friggin' happy with my life and I have done most everything I have ever wanted to except for 2 things. 
Two whole things really don't make a list now do they?
How lucky am I? Damn lucky and I know it.

Each list I tried made me laugh at myself.
So I scraped the whole list idea.
I guess lists are not my forte.

Last night I completed going through all the boxes of things that I brought home from my trip to my family's. I purged most of it. 
The old 1st marriage wedding dress, my first holy communion dress, my bronze baby shoes. 
I came across some things that made me angry. Really angry. Very angry.
I may write about that soon to purge it.  Gee aren't you glad you'll get to read that!

I came across my high school scrap book in one of these boxes.
This was a hoot. A time capsule for sure.
The things I kept and my notes about these items were a window to this teenager for sure.
A $5.00 ticket stub for a Foreigner concert.
I have stubs to Heart, Doobie Brothers, Seals and Croft, Rush and Jefferson Airplane.
The most expensive was $8.00. 
Can you imagine seeing the double bill of Heart and the Doobie Brothers for only $8.00?

I even had the receipt to my very first car.
My dad gave me $500 for the down payment for a graduation gift.
I know that sounds like a small amount today.
But when you consider the total cost of that car it really wasn't such a small amount.
It was $2,800 brand new.
It was a 1974 bright yellow VW beetle.
It had an add on listed on the bottom of the receipt for a FM radio with 8 track to be added so the grand total was $3,100.
A whole car!

Did you save your high school scrapbook?  Looked at it lately?

6 comments:

Raquel's World said...

Nope. I have no scrap book. But I do have some old pics...they ain't too bad.I can't wait to hear about what made you so angry. I look forward to that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Raquel you crack me up!
Me pissin' and moaning is better eh?
I'm not sure I can share it well but I'll try.

Anonymous said...

My first car cost $300 dollars. it had 100K miles when I bought it and I drove it for 5 years.
Mary

Raquel's World said...

Peg- I do so adore your pissing and moaning. I can almost always relate to your aggravation and it makes me happy when people say what they really are feeling.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Raquel we really should meet!!
I have no talents and I am not good at anything except bitchin' and moaning. You'll love me!
and sadly I have an opinion about most everything.

Gal Friday said...

8.00 tickets!! Wow!

I don't have anything as organized as a scrapbook, but boxes of letters and postcards and posters and old 80's music magazines(Creem, The Face)that can take me w-a-a-y back when I take the time to go through the contents. :-)

I once made a list of "fashion looks I would never be caught dead in" in another blog a few years ago and it turned out I offended someone who read my blog by listing my dislike of tie dyed anything. So..I know what you mean about feeling judgemental...
To each her own, right?

I hate the *shudder*... socks and sandals look, too, BTW.