I am sure all the Oprah followers and lovers of this book will flock to the movie.
As you may or may not remember I HATED this book.
I found the author glib, self absorbed and with entitlement issues.
What she said she was looking for was not in her behavior at all.
The big and important things like her marriage she treated like it was tissue she was throwing away. She had no regard for any ones feelings but her own.
She didn't care how her actions affected anyone but herself.
The more I read it the more I didn't like this woman.
I guess I prefer to enjoy my heroine on some level while reading the book.
I disliked her more and more as this book went on.
I often wondered if those that loved it just loved the idea of it.
The idea of searching the world for your truth and living the life of a rich woman with no more cares in the world than self.
Could that have been the appeal?
Gee can you tell I didn't like this woman?
I sadly know a lot of her ilk.
This morning in the USA Today newspaper there is a review.
This reviewer felt the same thing for the movie that I did the book.
The caption for the review is 'Eat Pray Love' comes off more like 'Me Me Me'
I couldn't have agreed more!
But little ole me and my opinion will not stop this from becoming box office gold for Ms. Julia Roberts. At least she got to eat well.
I asked hubby if he could please make me a vanity top that would look similar to carrera marble. You see our main bathroom at the lake house was never remodeled.
It was just painted quickly after we bought it because at the time we were also renting it out. We didn't have enough time to do everything.
Right now I can not afford to get a new vanity but I think painting it will make it look a lot better.
I thought that since this vanity was going to be very dark that a carrera marble looking vanity top would look great.
Hubby makes concrete counter tops and vanity tops for paying customers why not me?
He has never made one to look like carerra marble before and he was willing to give it a try.
Now I am sure I will have to put out for this, ah but what the hell.
Here is what it looks like right now.
It still needs to be polished.
While it is nice and shiny now it will be more so when he is done with it.
I will show you the after of the whole room when completed.
But check it out in it's raw stage. I think the old man did a nice job.
I am currently hating on my hair. I am growing out my short do.
I may not be able to go through with this.
Is wearing a baseball cap all the time until it's a normal style again okay?
Inappropriate with a black dress you say? If it matches?
Seriously I know in the big scheme of things this is pretty trivial.
But I look in the mirror and go what the hell are you thinking woman?
It's just brown stuff hanging off your head with no style now.
This can really ruin my day. Outfit? Cute! Hair? OMG! what is on your head?
I remember when Katie Couric grew out her super short do on national television.
I also remember laughing out loud when my husband one morning said, "What the hell is going on with her hair?" So if he noticed it was bad we all know it was bad.
Bravo to her because she did it in front of millions.
Can I? Will I? Oh Lordy this sucks!


11 comments:
I had not read the book but was finding myself quite caught up in all the hype about it and was planning to read it. I will not. Thanks for saving my time and money.
well Raquel you may like it. It appears that there are millions of women who adored it. If you do read it I'd go to the library where it's free! You may find after you read it that I am full of shit. :-)
i hate growing out my hair, which is why i havent done it in a while.
eat pray love. blech. i got an email from the home shopping network the other day (dont ask me why, i have never bought anything from them) and in it was a whole line of eat pray love inspired clothes and accessories. BARF.
i think youre right-i think maybe people like the idea of a woman on a journey to find herself. and honestly i like the idea too. i just hated this particular woman.
Tammie - Since I could have given birth to you I am convinced I did and somehow you were just raised by someone else. honestly you are so much like me sometimes it makes me just smile! You just say it all better than me. I too really disliked this woman! Bet you couldn't tell though huh?
I haven't read the book, and I don't plan on seeing the movie.
I have not read "Eat Pray Love", either. The over-the-top hyped popularity and stupid(to my ears, anyway)title has kept me away. And...I think I recall reading about your loathing of the book and dislike of the author so that kind of nailed it for me. Nope. Not going to bother. Nor will I bother seeing the movie...
Be brave, woman! You can pull through the growing out phase. You made it this far, so I think maybe from here on in, it'll get better. Can you revisit the hairstylist and see what they suggest? How about a beret instead of the baseball cap. ;-)
Good Lord--just saw what Tammy wrote about the HSN phoning her and trying to sell "eat*pray*love" products!! Let me guess..there are "eat*pray*love" yoga pants and silly bandz....
An important tid-bit I forgot to mention about my hair. I get my hair cut normally every 5 weeks. I am only on week 9 and I am being a total spaz. I have 50 more weeks to go so we'll just all agree I have issues. :-)
Although I may have to invest in a beret as Gal Friday mentioned.
Excuse me..did you take the words out of my mouth..?..I feel the same way but didnt even make it through the book..I got up to Italy..hahahah ...not too far..I just couldnt..!I know about the hair thing too..I have mine longer now...just so I can wear it up..!sometimes for me ..Im happy after I color it...which is what I need right now..!
snArtee- I am glad to know there are more than 2 of use who feel this way about this book!
for some reason that makes me feel better!
I read the book and liked it but now I'm naseated with all the hype. Good God, Eat, Pray Love clothes!!!! What's next, Eat Pray and Love macaroni and cheeeeesssse!
What's wrong with people?
Mary
Post a Comment