This new woman came into a home with all of the belongings of another woman all around her.
My father never even emptied my mom’s things from their closet.
I used to go to my mom’s closet and smell her clothes when no one was around but it never ever occurred to me that I should take them away for this woman moving in.
I was a kid who just never thought about it to be honest.
I was too self absorbed but as a 20 something when I realized all of this I apologized to her for that. (She thankfully understands and blames my father which makes us both giggle.)
How the hell could my father not think to do that though?
So there she was a new wife and mother and having to box everything up of another woman. That had to suck and make her feel terrible.
She didn’t throw a thing away.
She felt it wasn’t her place.
She kept it all for us in her home to have some day.
That day had come.
So that brings me to what made me angry 41 yrs later while going through all these boxes of things from my past. Some of these things I had never seen, some I hadn’t seen in 41 yrs.
Last week I found things in these boxes that opened all those wounds I thought I had buried or forgotten.
I sat at the dining room table going through these things and wept and then got angry, really angry. I was 13 years old again and I felt all those things that I thought were gone.
The funeral thank you notes that I filled out but they were not addressed, were at the top of one box. I saw my tiny little 13 yr old penmanship and I think that just really got to me.
It was just signed, “The Malizia Family.”
I assume these were extra’s since they did not have any other writing inside of them.
It brought all that anger back that I had for my father to the surface.
How could he do that to me?
How could he be so callous to not see that my mom just died and that he could lift a finger, because I too was mourning?
It reminded me of the notes from my Aunt on how to make my fathers meals and recipes.
How not to make my father mad.
I got angry because why the hell wasn’t anyone concerned about how I was feeling?
I got angry because why the hell didn’t my father ever take us out to dinner instead of demanding I cook?
I got angry that all of my sisters care was my responsibility and to this day she resents me if I even say something as innocent as, “can I get you something to drink?”
I got angry when I read all the condolence notes to my father and how they asked him to bring the girls by for a weekend getaway or for dinner and he never did.
I got angry because everyone gave my younger sister a hug and sympathy and gifts because her mom died. While I stood and watched and served them coffee and pastries.
I got angry because my father was remarried within 7 months.
He was busy immediately dating and looking for a new wife but never had the time for his girls who so needed his attention.
I was angry that he thought ignoring it all would make it fine and/or go away.
I want to believe he was in mourning but if he was it wasn’t what one does in mourning to most of us.
I am angry that he never talked to us about any of it even when we asked but would instead spout religious rhetoric.
Now as an adult I understand the whispering that I heard by Aunts and Uncles about Dad’s behavior. I get it. But he is my father. I love him. He makes me angry. He should have known better but he didn’t.
I thought I had let all that anger go long long ago.
Apparently not buried far enough on that day.
I know in the past I did try to talk to him about all of this.
He doesn’t see that he did anything wrong.
And there is no point in trying to tell him anything else.
I was the oldest and I was a girl.
I am sure if I had had an older brother it would still be my responsibility because I was a girl.
He said and I quote, “I got you another mother didn’t I? She's wonderful isn't she?”
To him that was the answer.
Truth be told maybe it kind of was.
My new mom was kind, understanding and did the best she could.
She never asked us to forget our mom. She bought her flowers on mothers day and brought us to her grave. She did all kinds of nice things like that.
She too was overwhelmed herself with her new life.
She and I have talked about this a lot over the years.
She understands and she knows my father so she really gets it all.
He makes her angry too.
I turned out fine.
I wasn’t harmed or beaten. I was loved and in fact spoiled with love.
I had all the material things I ever needed as well.
I grew up with more sisters and a house full of laughter.
So life wasn’t so bad.
I surely don’t mean to imply that it was in anyway.
I would like to think if he knew better he’d have done better.
He never did anything from a bad place. He thought he was doing the right thing.
I realize now as an adult I just needed something more than he could give me that I had to find on my own. I did. And that only helped me grow and be strong.
But that particular Sunday while reading all those things it just came flooding back to me.
I felt all the pain, the stress, the loneliness, the overwhelming feeling of inadequacy that sometimes still haunts me to this day. Thankfully it was just that Sunday.
So that is what made me angry on that particular Sunday.
Now I will go back to being my old smart ass happy self on this blog and put that back where it belongs.
11 comments:
Thank you for sharing this powerful memory. I know you are strong and self-sufficient and enjoying a wonderful life--and I still want to give you a hug, So, here: ((hug)).
As a fan of 'Little Women' I strongly encourage you to read the new bio by Harriet Reisin (SP?) 'Louisa May Alcott: The Women Behind Little Women." it was a revelation. I didn't want it to end. It was even better than the PBS doc she produced...I think it will be meaningful for you...
Let me tell you this: You have every right to be angry with your father about the way he treated you. And with other family members who comforted your little sister but didn't think about comforting you. They all may have thought they were doing the right thing, but they weren't. Ignoring another's pain in the hopes it will go away is just plain wrong. Sadly, it happens all the time.
I hope it was cathartic for you to go through those things and to experience the anger. Perhaps realizing the anger is still there will help you heal. We never get over the death of a loved one, and especially not the death of a mother at such a young age. I am so sorry for your loss. You had to grow up too fast and shoulder way too much responsibility too soon.
{{{hugs}}}
I can relate to a lot of this. I carry a lot of childhood anger around with me to this day, too. Back then I was too fragile to speak up for myself; that won't happen again.
Thanks everyone for your comments. I do wish to clear something up.
I do not carry anger. I am a happy person and I love my family.
However seeing all of this brought back things I purged long ago and that particular Sunday it all came back. I wrote it, I purged it again and it was cathartic. I'm done!
Thanks again for the hugs and understanding.
im so glad you decided to share all of this.
ive been thinking a lot about your step mom. she sounds like a truly wonderful person and i think its awesome that she really tried to help the memory of your mom live on. i dont think a lot of women would do that. heck i dont know if i would do it. not saying id purposely choose not to, i just dont know if it would occur to me to do that, you know?
about carrying around anger. i totally get what youre saying. i have a lot of anger towards my parents about my childhood and even more recent events, but i try not to let it run my life. mostly, i try to focus on the good things and not worry about the bad times that brought me sadness. of course sometimes i still get down about certain things, but i largely consider myself a happy person too.
"I got angry because everyone gave my younger sister a hug and sympathy and gifts because her mom died. While I stood and watched and served them coffee and pastries."
That's the saddest thing I have read in a long time.
Glad I found you via Irregular Tammie.
Tammie: Thanks as always for understanding! it was just a small blip on my screen in the big scheme of things.
Stephanie: - Thanks for stopping by!
OMG...that is not where i thought the story was going....you poor thing...no one should have to have all that brought up...each one you listed in itself is a bit overwhelming..but altogether..its no wonder you had a hard time dealing with this...it is really a lot...!..I can not imagine being faced with each separate memory and unwrapping it all....you did a brave and courageous thing for yourself...and to share it is also therapeutic...I want to give you a hug...so cyber hug..OK and know that we are all thinking of you.!
smArtee: - that is an interesting statement. Where did you think it was going? It is a happy ending!
Thanks for the hug. It is so appreciated. You are right this was very cathartic. I wrote it all in mere minutes.
Now back to my normal self. :-)
Peg,
that is crazy--how no one , especially your remaining parent didn't consider what YOU were going through. You NEEDED to write that down and are right to be angry.
I have talked about this with my husband and friends, and I think there is something to that certain generation of men(pre 1967 or so)that was brought up to father like that, as if cut off from their feelings and feeling for others.
What a powerful series of posts. My childhood was totally different and yet so similar. I wish I knew you in real life so that we could get a bottle of wine and regale each other with childhood memories. My two sisters and I rarely really get down into the weeds about our childhood, but one day we were having lunch and something just clicked. We all bared our souls. We were laughing and sobbing simultaneously. The poor waitress just kept bringing more napkins (we gave her a very generous tip for her kindness). My own reaction is similar to yours - there were things to be angry about, but I love my family.
I agree with Gal Friday that men then were very different. I try to remember that they made Mr. Mom in the 1980s, and people thought it was hilarious and bizarre that the husband would take over the childcare and housework.
Nina
Post a Comment