Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Lists, Lists, Lists

Tammie at Irregular Tammie made a list of her Top 10 Cheesy Songs that she loves.
She suggested I try this.
However if I love the song is it really cheesy? 
I mean I don't think any of the songs I love are cheesy.
So I would have to tell you my list and then someone else would define cheesy.
Hmmmm.....then I may hear a collective groan and that would make me feel badly so I think I'll skip this exercise.

But I can give you a list of 3 things not to say to your mother or father like I did and got punished, slapped or soap in my mouth (yea I know today social services would be called on them for 2 of 'em)

1. My father was lecturing me because I would NOT eat the damn lima beans on my plate and in his frustration he yelled at me that there were starving kids in India.  I asked him to name one.  Oooow, that one hurt!  And I still had to eat those gross beans no less!

2. I was 6 and playing old maids with my cousin when I lost for the 5th time.  I threw down my cards and said, "vaffanculo"   I didn't really know what that meant but she said it when she dropped her pie on the floor or anytime she was upset.  ICK!  I got soap in my mouth for that one, while my cousins watched on and laughed at the bubbles.  She never did tell me what it meant but I knew then it was a bad word.  By the time I was a teenager I knew what that meant.  oops!

3. One school day morning I told my step mom that I was tired of not having my clothes ironed when I needed them.  (I was 15) I ranted, "Everytime I look for something it is in the pile to be ironed, could you just iron them already?"  Ooh that was dumb of me.  From that moment on I had to iron all my own clothes... forever.  She washed, dried and laid them on my bed for me to iron.  So I learned quickly that a blouse under a sweater only needed the cuffs and collars pressed.

....to name just a few.

C'mon give me your list.

12 comments:

Raquel's World said...

I told my mother one time "if she felt froggy, then jump" Needless to say she did.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

that's cute! would u do that with your children?

Linda said...

I don't remember my mom ever doing that to me, but I remember slapping my daughter across the mouth when she stuck her tongue out at me when I was reprimanding her for something. She never did it to my face again....however, behind my back I'm sure she did. Today, she'll just do it to my face. She's still a brat, and she's 44!

Raquel's World said...

If they challenged me to "jump" Then yeah it would prob be on.

Uptown Girl said...

I can't think of anything like this from my childhood... I probably blocked the memories. Either that or I'm perfect?

I'm curious what that word means.

Jay said...

I had to google "vaffanculo"

Thanks. I love learning to cuss in other languages. ;-)

Anonymous said...

when I was 6 I told my mother a joke. "Why don't witches have babies?" Because they have halloweenies!
She freaked out and washed my mouth out with soap.
Mary

P.S. I still believe this to be true :-)

Anonymous said...

i meant to comment on this yesterday when i got sidetracked and had to go look up the definition for vaffanculo.

i love number one. im surprise most kids havent said that one....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I guess I should not have assumed you have all heard my mom's favorite word since you have asked or written me privately or had to google it.

it means Fuck You or Fuck. not nice for a 6 yr old to say or for that matter her mom. :-)

Karen said...

Thanks for explaining #2, I didn't know that one!

I remember a teacher once asking me if I thought I would remember to bring my English book to class if I had to write, "I will bring my English book to class." 100 times. I looked her straight in the eye and told her, "Actually,no, I don't think that will help because I didn't bring my book today because we never use it in your class." Luckily the only punishment I got was having to write the list anyway.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Those are really funny. You were a pretty sassy kid. Hmmm. I read you regularly, I guess I could have guessed that! I punched my sister in the mouth once and my mother spanked me and yelled at me and then ignored me for days except for staring me down with her meanest look. I still thought is was well worth the price at the time.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Those are really funny. You were a pretty sassy kid. Hmmm. I read you regularly, I guess I could have guessed that! I punched my sister in the mouth once and my mother spanked me and yelled at me and then ignored me for days except for staring me down with her meanest look. I still thought is was well worth the price at the time.