Ordered the new fridge and was told it would be here on Friday. They called back to say it's been changed to April 1st. Oh no. We can't keep this up, running to the garage all damn day and night. But maybe it was a blessing.
In the meantime, Rick and I have been devouring Consumer Reports on Fridges as well as YouTube sites that went through all makes and models. After we watched all of those, Rick said maybe we could continue to try searching, and it doesn't have to be LG. Not counting Bosch, the top were LG, then Frigidaire. GE came in at the bottom.
LG is notorious for having its ice makers break down. According to the repairman who did a very thorough explanation of refrigerators on YouTube, he states all the reasons why this occurs. Something about the freon in Europe that they use and not the freon in the US. I was so damn confused when he was done explaining it.
I asked Rick if he understood, and he laughed and said, "I'm the one with cognitive issues, Margaret, remember? Yes, I understood it. Are you having a stroke?"
HA HA funny boy.
Anyhoo, that made me do more research. Found one, went to Lowe's to look at it. It was far cheaper online, and I got free installation online as well as free haul away, which Lowe's did not offer. The man at Lowe's remembered me and said, "So back for another round?" Yep, this time I brought my tape measure, and he laughed. I did not wish to get counter depth; I wanted standard depth. I had measured ours, so I wanted to be sure I was going down the right path. This one on the floor did not say counter depth, but when I measured it, I found it was. I asked, and sure enough, they did not have what I needed on the floor. So, back to the website.
So we got a new fridge that will not be here until March 21st between 8 - 12p.
So we will continue to limp through this process.
We did get our old fridge to work enough right now. The fan is blowing, keeping the fridge cold. But, for how long? As the repairman stated when he was here, it will work, but not for long. He thought for a week, maybe 2 if we were lucky. I hope we are lucky!
We have things in the fridge, but all freezer things are in the garage. We also put things from the fridge that would have a horrible fate should it die in the night. But some things I left in the fridge since it is cold. I miss having water and ice from the dispenser, which was also leaking and the flap not working, etc.
You know what I miss the most? The ice and water. I drink a shit ton of water. A shit ton is about 2 liters or more a day. Usually far more. Now I have to drink tap water and no ice. I am buying a bag of ice today at the grocery store. I know, I know, wanting ice water is such an American thing. But hell, I'm American, and I want my ice.😝
During all of this domestic bliss, I have been ensconced in WBC. World Baseball Championship. Last night's game was Italy vs USA, and it was so damn good.
We lost. I kept telling Rick that Italy was a great team. He poo-poo'd me and said the US has got this. Then the game started, and he said, "Oh, you may be right.."
I'm always right, what is wrong with him?😂
Italy has an espresso machine in its dugout. At one point, I said to Rick that our team looked tired and weak. He said maybe the US should put an espresso machine in the dugout, too. That made me laugh. Rick found the names a hoot.
Their coach is one of my favorite past players, Francisco Cervelli. When he was a Yankee, I thought he was a cutie. Good catcher too.
It's pollen season here. I never had allergies until I moved here. My God, I am all stuffed up, sneezing, wheezing, having a headache, and it's just darn right icky.
Yes, that is a professional term, icky. I am downing DayQuil capsules like M&M's.
It's going to be 89 today. What the hell? Then back to 62 tomorrow. We, cheap old people, have not turned on the air. We are just miserable. But last month's heat bill was just over $300. And we don't keep it high. 68, but when it got really cold, we did do 70. I need at least a few weeks of not turning anything on. We are all electric, and it's so high in cost compared to our gas bills up north. So for this week, there have been fans on, open doors (sneeze sneeze), and windows.
Rick said, " Let's pretend it's 1970."
I asked, "What the hell does that mean?"
He told me that we didn't have A/C in 1970.
I told him my father did plumbing, heating, and air conditioning for a living, and we had A/C.
Then he snorted and called me a spoiled brat.
I reminded him that my father never would turn the damn thing on. He'd say, open the front door and the back door, and 'we'll have cross ventilation.'
WHAT? Dad was nuts. But I have heard of cross-ventilation for most of my life.
Once, when we were all back home visiting my parents, someone said something.
His daughters said in unison, " Open the back door, you'll get cross ventilation."
That made us all howl with laughter, Dad too.
To be fair, in August, he turned it on. Looking back, it wasn't as hot then or up north on Lake Erie as it is down here in North Carolina. Climate change and being in the south is a double whammy.
I'm off to go to my favorite grocery store. It will be air-conditioned, and I will linger. After all my errands all over town, I just know I will come home and turn on the air and say, fuck it. Classy, aren't I?
16 comments:
My AC is almost always on. There are other things I have had to sacrifice but not my AC. But, I agree, hot is different in different parts of the country. When I moved from Houston to Louisiana then Florida, I nearly died in each state. My hair may go undyed and uncut, my nails unmanicured and unpainted, even my clothes may have holes and stains but I have AC. Also you might try Nasacort. I use it when the allergies hit - ears, eyes, nose and throat.
Also, have you tried a Dented Appliance Store? We have them everywhere here. They are new appliances that were scratched, dented, etc. in the shipping process. I don't know if they reduced them enough or if that matters to you but might look into it.
I keep a jug of tap water in the fridge at all times so I can have cold water but don't need ice. I had to give up ice cubes because I would chew on them and I don't want any more teeth that need crowns. Had to give up hard mints and hard candies for that reason too.
How about a stand alone ice maker? Cos tco sells one for $75 online. Have you ever considered putting ads on your b log for a small revenue stream? I’ve noticed many smaller b logs have added ads on their site in the last few years.
Wishing you good luck with your new fridge. I would love to know what model you end up with and what you think of it. We replaced our old amana fridge over 7 years ago with a L G without a water filter but with an internal ice ma ker that we chose not to hook up. Although it’s noisier than we’d like, the food stays fresher for longer due to its ability to keep the internal temp consistently cold. In fact, we had to set the internal temp a little higher as fridge items would start to ice.
Strange to be seeking AC in March. My parents were cross ventilators too! And we froze in the winter.
Our new(ish) fridge does not have an icemaker because every one we've owned before always went belly up, so I make ice in those granny trays.
Granny Trays, lol! It is weird to turn on the air but its 90. Its on. Tomorrow in the 40s. Weird ass weather.
Rachel, no ads for me. Ill make money other ways, but thank you it is a good idea if on is inclined. I will say it til I die, I loved my 4 door LG!!
I tend to chew ice. But after doing some damage to my teeth I had to stop. But sometimes... we had a Brita jug in our garage and we remembered this morning. So I brought it in to fill and enjoy cold water.
Not that we found. We had them in VA, but we haven't found them here. I got a dresser from pottery barn that was damaged on the side. We got it very cheap. We used it as a bathroom vanity after removing the legs. After the remodel friend kept asking where we got this vanity. I paid 200 for a 1300 dresser. I love scratch and dents! No one could see the damage against the wall so it worked.
Normally that is me to a T. Ricks stroke is killing us financially. But its on now. 89 degrees is too hot. Tomorrow 42. Crazy weather right? I did get nasacort today while running errands.
It was 87 a few days ago here. Next week? Down to the low 20s.
Let's blame trump 😁
The problem with cross ventilation is that when it's hotter outside than it is inside, all you're doing is warming the house even more. I have that discussion every year with Sweetpea, who also swears by opening up the windows.
When we're in that in-between stage when it's not time to kick up the AC yet, we use fans. They're cheap to run and the moving air provides a cooling sensation on the skin, even if it doesn't affect the temperature.
That is what we've been doing this week. Fans. All kinds of fans. Until late yesterday when it 90. We were miserable. So we cooled it down. Turned it off and went to bed because it got cold again. Or let's say colder.
As Mike commented, St Louis weather has been quite schitzo. We made do with open windows and ceiling fans on Tuesday, but turned the furnace back on at bedtime yesterday.
We had just over a week of 80s to 90. Last nite 33 and today is going to be perfect-for me at 62.we too went from a/c to furnace/heat.
Post a Comment