It was black as night when we left our home, and it was only 4:30 p.m.
The rain was now just a drizzle with very high winds. My car was blowing all over the place. Then the downpour came as I entered the ramp to the interstate.
It was difficult to see, Rick said he saw my shoulders and body stiffen. Nah, you didn't see anything, mister, I'm fine, remember?
We arrived at our destination and had a nice time. At 9p.m., we headed home. By this time, the rain was done. The ride home was far better. Rick was not white-knuckling it. When I mentioned this to him, he said he wasn't any more concerned than any other time I am driving - and he laughs. Oh, you little shit.
This whole driving Miss Daisy, as he calls it, bothers him so much. Most of the stroke-related deficiencies that bother him are ego-related. After his last fall, I got him to finally use that nice cane with the movable foot I bought. When we got in the car last night, he said, "Don't say a word, but this cane really does help."
I didn't say I told you so, but I did laugh and say, "Good. Imagine that!"
He called me a smart ass. He's right. It's my only talent. I can't hold 'em in, or my head will explode.
So all in all, a very good night. We got home, and off came the heels and the nice clothes, and on went the sweatpants and sweatshirt.
We hunkered down to watch The Pitt.
I do love that series. We stayed up way too late again watching TV.
This morning at 745am, my phone is ringing off the hook. It's in the living room. Rick shakes me and says, Margaret, your phone is ringing. I mutter I'll call them back. Then I remember that my satellite company is coming to replace a cable today.
I hopped out of bed, brushed my teeth, put on clothing, and threw on a baseball cap because I had serious bed head. No sooner had I gotten to the living room than he was at my front door. Whew. Just made it.
He was so helpful. As I was signing something, he asked where I was from.
He went on before I could answer and said, "You are the best customer I have ever had. You offered me coffee, you are kind, and you weren't mean to me."
Now, why would someone be mean to their Dish Network repairman for heaven's sake?
I thanked him and said, "I am not from here, I have only been here since Oct 2021."
He moved here in 1999. He said all the transplants are so much nicer than the locals, and I can always tell.
Yep, I know that, but I didn't say that to him. I just thanked him for his kind words.
Then he said, "And no one has ever offered me bagels and coffee before."
Now, I did not tell him that my husband thinks I have a 'need to feed'
I say it's common hospitality if someone comes to your home, you offer them something. Rick says it's my Italian background. Maybe, maybe not. I'm not so sure it has anything to do with my nationality as much as just how I was raised.
My parents (especially my father) taught us when meeting new people to always smile, look people in the eye, and shake their hands. I was taught that if someone comes to your home, make them feel welcome and offer them food and drink.
And God forbid, do not go to someone's home without bringing something!
So maybe it is how I was raised that I have a 'need to feed.'
I find it funny that Rick has always told me that.
But is it really my parents being Italian that I do this or feel this way?
I don't think so.
But when my friend Frannie told me she loved it when she came to my house because it was so warm and welcoming, and I always fed her, it made me howl.
Oh dear, everyone sees this, not just Rick. But at least she liked it.
But I can't stop, so that is my flaw, or as I told Rick, I have so few flaws, babe, you're gonna have to accept this one."
Which of course makes him laugh his ass off.
Oh well, all is good. It's a sunny day, the TV was repaired, and I survived driving in a wicked rainstorm. Things are lookin' up. Now I need a 2nd cup of coffee.
16 comments:
Hey, if feeding guests is a flaw, it's a GREAT one to have!
Is it being Italian? Of course it is. No one spends any amount of time in my home without being offered something to eat or drink. Not only is it an Italian thing it's also common courtesy.
It's the same here. Most people will offer you coffee when you drop in, and if they have cookies or squares handy, those will also be set on the table. I have to hide such things in the deep freeze in the basement if I hope to have them available, otherwise the house elf eats every damn one. - Kate (in Saskatchewan)
One might also call this "need to feed" hospitality... generosity... warmth.
So stop by, see for yourself Deb!🫠
Spoken like a good Italian American Grace 😀
Kate, you have kitchen elves too?!
I agree it is common hospitality DB. So stop on by and pull up a chair. You never know what you'll get.Food, drink and some sass. Lol
I will offer a service person a drink, but they don't get any food from me.
Ha ha. I dont do a lot for repairman but if ive just toasted one and made coffee it sure smells good and I just can't not offer, but i understand why most would not.
I just off loaded two boxes of girl scout cookies to the cleaning gals. I've picked up 5 pounds since the cookies were delivered from my granddaughter.
🤣🤣 Maybe its good i cant eat them. One year I bought the gluten free one. But im not fond of cardboard. I can gain 5lbs looking at a thin mints box Mike
when any man or couple stopped by to visit my folks' farm, they knew that they would get a slice of Mom's homemade pie, and fresh coffee. If the workman came around dinner/supper time, they always were welcome to sit and share.
Yes. Same here!
You are sounding better, and that makes me happy for you. I might have passed on that drive in the rain, but it turned out ok. My Grandmother used to call me when it was raining and tell me not to drive to work. So sweet, like I could really call in "raining".
Oh my goodness Barb that is funny, call in "raining"
Post a Comment