Saturday, January 25, 2025

Did she say Penis?

I made an appointment to see an ENT.  
It's the only doctor I haven't seen and by God let's keep this doctor train moving.  In all truthfulness it's pitiful. I made an appointment and the soonest they can get me in is April. When I told my husband this he asked, "Are you sure you heard correctly, April is a long wait" and he laughed.  
"Bite me, Rick, did you hear me?" 
Making fun of me is his favorite sport and it has been for 38 years. 

My hearing is not getting any better I know, but Jeez, since I moved here I've had every issue there is. Before I got here I took one thyroid pill and except for gentle yoga ripping my meniscus, I was fine.

We were watching TV and I began to laugh. 
Rick asked, "What is so funny?"
I repeated what I thought I heard and with the woman saying penis.
Rick said, "OMG, that is not what she said. But what you thought she said is much funnier, maybe you should write for TV.  Watching TV/Movies must be so interesting to you." 
HA HA Funny Boy.

Well, that did it!
I am old, it's time for the hearing aids.  
As my father told me time and time again, "It's that damn music you listen to so loud. You're going to go deaf!"
Well, it apparently worked. :-)
Although when he got his hearing aid at age 80 I said to him, "Must be all that damn music you listen to so loudly Dad." 
That made him laugh and call me a smart ass. (That by the way could have been my name growing up I heard that so much.)

Speaking of music there will be a Sly and The Family Stone documentary in February on Hulu. It was done by Quest Love. I can't wait to see this. 
I LOVED Sly music.  Funk and a bit of rock.

Leaving the surgeon's office Thursday I was so happy to have a date for my surgery. I have never looked forward to surgery before like I am with this one. Feb 5th.  Soon!

On the way home, Sirius was playing some damn fine 60/70s rock 'n roll.
I was singing my heart out alone in my car. 
Sly was one of the songs. That became an earworm for me all day.
I finally put in a CD of Sly's greatest hits as I folded some clothes. 
After Feb 5th I can dance to Sly again...well that is my hope. 

I am having laminectomies. I had one as I said long ago (80s) 
Huge scar on my back.
This time it is done so differently that it floored me. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days the 1st time. I am having this done in the surgical suite of the dr.s office located upstairs. It's a small incision and they shave off the protruding part of my disc pressing on the nerve endings. I have two locations where this will be done. So same surgery but done differently. Wow.
When I said that he laughed and said, "A lot has changed Peggy in 40 years." Sadly so has my body. 

The surgery is 2 hrs and after I awake from anesthesia I will go home.
No hospital stay which thrills me to no end. They don't have food in hospitals for a celiac person. That alone is pitiful. 

I assumed a few days in the hospital and not eating anything but having juice and coffee. And no I can't eat jello it's too damn sweet.
So I assumed I'd just not eat until I came home or if Rick brought me things from home. Even their broth had wheat in it last time and I got very sick. 
So I am thrilled to be able to come home where I can have a cup of soup or whatever I wish to eat and to know it's safe. Besides I'd prefer home to a hospital anytime. Rick can be my nurse. 
Wait, all he will want to help me with is a sponge bath. 
Scratch Rick off the nurse list. 😉

4-6 weeks or more doing nothing is the worst part I think. 
Dear Lord that's a long time.  For a type A personality, this is the difficult part. I've been doing nothing for far too long!  I'll give it 4 weeks. Then I'm dancing in the kitchen with Rick again! I miss our dancing in the kitchen.


20 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, isn't it amazing how some surgeries have improved in 40 years! Good luck with yours in a couple of weeks!

Paula C said...

Finally. Maybe now you'll finally start to feel better. The new procedure certainly sounds less evasive.

Barbara said...

My daughter's partner just had knee surgery and then a month later hip surgery. Same thing as you. In the surgery room and then home. She is doing great. I hope you do just as well. Seems like it has to be better.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara I'm glad she is doing great! Being at home I think is better for healing.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paula, no where to go but up!😃

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Debra, thank you. I see light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully it's not a train.

bluzdude said...

So glad you won't have to stay at the hospital... that's the worst place to try to rest after a surgery... With all the poking and prodding, people wanting to see the wound, BP tests, and undulating beds, you can't get five minutes of uninterrupted sleep.

Grace said...

"I see light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully it's not a train." Now THAT is funny...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tony, if you recall a post of when my first surgery was, pre Rick. I worked at an airline and pilots, my friends, came to visit. Oh I had nurses who I never saw befor come in to 'check on me'. They came from work so in uniform. So home is better for all the reasons you said and more!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well Grace with the way my life is going, it's a concern🤣🤣

Mike said...

My ENT has been trying to sell me hearing aids of a couple of years now. My eye doc has been pushing cornea replacements. My various Osteo docs have been pushing a shoulder replacement for 20 years. One of these days I'm just going to fall into pieces.

Liz Hinds said...

I got hearing aids last year. Don't get them. It's too noisy.

Julie H said...

Yeah! I'm glad you have a date. I hope it fixes you up! I have read that getting hearing aids is better than struggling to hear for memory loss. My ears are plugged up a lot so that doesn't help me in the hearing department.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Mike you're a hoot. I too was told a shoulder replacement. I am dealing. It hurts but the recovery of that is a year or some such awful thing. I'll let my arm fall off first.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Liz, okay that's funny. But is TV better?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, oh great now I have to worry about memory loss from my hearing? For the love of God. There was a country song called, I fall to pieces. I realize that song is about falling apart after a loved one dumps you but I keep hearing it and seeing it Literally. I am falling to pieces.

DB Stewart said...

Yes, dance in the kitchen AND get the sponge baths, lol.

Karen said...

Have had hearing aides 9 months now….little microphones …. Not like regular hearing but good to hear others more clearly…. Takes a bit to have audiologist program for you, but I found it worth it….its all your mindset. I have “ conversational hearing loss” as they called it. Hard to differentiate S/F sounds, etc. don’t think the most expensive means better. Friends spend 4-5 thousand each. I have 2,8000 pair that audiologist recommended and think fine. Those friends felt pressured into more costly and feel no better than mine.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh I can't do 4-5 thousand. I've even thought of getting amplifiers. We shall see.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

DB,spoken like a man😁