I watched a lot of baseball this weekend.
Due to the high pollen around these parts right now we spent yesterday in our bubble.
We were outside on Saturday. It's miserable hot here and I was trying to hose off pollen, etc. Rick was working in the workshop with the garage doors open. Pollen blowing in.
This poor guy has asthma which doesn't help his allergy issues. Saturday night he was his own sound machine. If I am being honest, it bugs the shit out of me.
He was wheezing, coughing, honking, dripping, and clearing his throat every 2 minutes. No exaggeration. At one point late in the evening I had to pause the TV so he could finish all of the above and I could hear the TV. I feel bad for him, I really do even though his noises drive me nuts.
Sunday we decided it was best to close up the house, sit in our bubble, and try to breathe. I refused to turn on the air conditioning. I mean it was March 31st for God's sake. But it got to 78 in here. We used fans. I am cheap.
Rick took Dayquil which one shouldn't do with high blood pressure. He uses flonase and other medications but nothing has been helping. He started Flonase in late February. But he insisted that since his BP is normal with drugs he was taking Dayquil. I don't think that's how Dayquil works but if it makes him feel better so be it. At one point he told me, I'll either feel better or be dead, either way, it will stop all this shit. Nice. Thankfully it did help him, for half the day.
He left his bubble this morning for the gym. I assume he will be back to honking in no time. He also has plans to work on his lathe, which is giving him issues. So he will be back out there with pollen blowing in the wind.
I used to get allergy shots and take medication. When it was discovered I had celiac after about a year of eating properly I no longer had allergies. It was amazing to me. But I admit this pollen is getting to me a bit too. Oh, I'm not wheezing, coughing, or drippy. But I have sneezed a lot more than usual. I am thankful I no longer deal with this issue anymore. 45 years was enough.
I was born with asthma. One of my allergists back home told me that asthma is an allergy and lays dormant and it will show up as allergies. I thought he was full of shit but I always remembered it. Who knows. All I know is Rick is a hot mess right now and I am thankful I am not dealing with this high pollen count. EVERYTHING is yellow here. Rains and it's all yellow again. I have never seen anything like this. 'They' say that the highest count here was over 3000. We aren't there yet. God if it gets to over 3000 pollen count we will never leave our homes.
Now to all the sports we were watching.
Okay, only baseball. It makes me happy and happier when we win!
Hate the Cheatin' Astros so I enjoyed my team sweeping them.
But around these parts TV is preempted for football and basketball. The LSU gals were on as I was flipping channels and I saw them doing the macarana. What is that about? I didn't watch the game just saw that and it made me laugh. But with all the colleges here NC State, UNC, Duke, and Chapel Hill, there are games on TV every damn day on every channel for some sport except baseball.
**Then I saw a snippet of a football player who got an enormous extension of his contract for a mere $87 million bucks. I think he was a Philly Eagle player.
They asked him the first thing he was gonna buy.
He said, "A zero-turn lawnmower."
I asked Rick if those were expensive and what it was exactly. After his explanation, I thought it sounded like what a landscaping company would use. I can tell you the price of shoes, handbags, and home goods, but not lawnmowers. Rick told me around 15K.
15K for a lawnmower?
Seriously you just made 87 million - get a lawn crew!
Why are you mowing your lawn?
I'll never know what I'd buy first if I had that kind of money. I think I'd exhale first.
Probably lose about 100 lbs of stress.
But I do know for certain it wouldn't be a lawnmower. :-)
**There is a lot of hoopla about a Japanese player (Ohtani) whose interpreter was using the ballplayer's money to gamble. I smell something fishy here.
The interpreter's first story was that the Pitcher he 'stole' from was aware.
4.5 million aware. Then he retracted that statement. I'm sure they put the squeeze on him to not say anything about Ohtani or anything that could implicate the almighty Ohtani.
Then the interpreter said he never bet on baseball. Hmm...
I say, "If good enough for Pete Rose, good enough for Ohtani"
I don't believe he was completely in the dark. I am not saying he gambled but I do suspect he was. I also think the Dodgers will throw lots of money at this and make it go away. Go talk to Pete Rose!
I also find it very interesting that it is not mentioned on any MLB show. If it was someone taking steroids it would be on MLB Tonight or MLB Central or one of those types of shows. But everyone is not even mentioning his name. I find it oddly disconcerting.
**Lastly my hubby came out of the bedroom wearing hardly anything to show me his new muscles from the gym. Flexing and making faces and making me laugh.
As he walked away he said, "My Sex Appeal is Back" and winked.
OMG, I laughed so hard that my beverage came out of my nose. I haven't done that since I was 12.
Yes, he was joking because as he has said, "Since my stroke, my muscles seem to be mush and I have crepey skin what is that about?"
Welcome to old age my dear.
No one will understand this unless you follow baseball. I thought it was an appropriate meme
8 comments:
Ah to get millions of dollars. I'd be hiring a crew for sure lol. Scott used to get horrible allergies but once he started working in the bay area they haven't been as bad. I used to hang our clothes out on the line til I learned that that probably wasn't a good idea with allergies. Same goes for opening all the windows.
Julie, oh yes, hanging clothes is the worst! Living here is too. 85 degrees ouside with the windows closed is awful. I will probably break down and turn on air. I need that 87 million 😫
I feel for Rick. It hasn't hit here in Western PA yet to the degree it has hit where you are, but I am more than aware that it is coming. I wish I could tell you which brands work, but my allergist told me that it is ok to take a nasal spray along with an allergy pill at the peak of the season. Obviously, some of the allergy pills are verboten with high blood pressure, but not all of them. Maybe a pharmacist could advise? My own allergies are somewhat unknown despite having been tested multiple times because more than one allergist has explained that my skin reacts to every.single.thing they test me for (not a surprise to me, having reacted to so many cosmetics over the years!)
Nina
Fortunately, seasonal allergies are just a minor nuisance for me but I know enough people who suffer greatly to know it's no fun. Watching baseball seems like the perfect activity for being stuck indoors.
And that Astros meme is hilarious!
Nina, We did ask a pharmacist and he got something as of right the is moment I don't recall but he said it wasn't helping. I'm sorry you too have to deal with this.
Kathy, I'm glad you got the meme. I assume you would be rootin' for the Cardinals. Have you seen the commercial with the pigeons getting mad because all the ball clubs are birds but not Pigeons? Cardinals, Orioles, Blue Jays etc. It just cracks me up for some reason.
At least turn on the furnace fan so the air is going through the furnace filter.
During the pandemic, I discovered those masks were a godsend during allergy season. Maybe they’ll help….Olivia
Olivia, he wore one today in his shop. He used to wear one when mowing the lawn. yes, it helps.
Post a Comment