I have noticed that 70s fashion is back.
But my rule has always been if you wore it the first time you're too old to wear it the 2nd time. So no bellbottoms for me.
I watch singing shows, American Idol, & The Voice.
The wardrobes on these kids are things I wore in high school most of the time.
I get a kick out of it. The music they sing is also music from long ago.
Last night so many of the songs were from my era.
I find that interesting. Do you think Rock 'N Roll could come back?
Oh, I would love that.
A fashion trend I saw on Idol, The Voice, Instagram, etc was men in Painter Pants. That is big-time 70s.
I recall my high school boyfriend going to the Army Surplus store and buying his. Last night on Idol a young man wore them.
I got a kick out of this for some reason. I asked Rick if he wore them in high school and he said no, only as an adult while working with paint. No shit Sherlock.
There is another trend I have seen lately that makes me laugh.
It's men in belly shirts. No, this is not a good look. We saw it again last evening on television and Rick said he might have to try it because he has a belly.
I laughed and told him that is not what it means to wear a belly shirt.
He laughs and asks, "Are you certain about that?"
Yes, I am most certain.
So what does my crazy hubby do? Much later in the evening when he went to the bathroom he came out with one of his shirts folded up and like a belly shirt.
He proclaimed - Look I have a belly so I should wear a belly shirt right?
Oh no, no you shouldn't babe, it's not a good look on you.
But as is the case, he made me laugh!
Speaking of ole Rick.
He is now a gym rat. Who is this man?
Since his stroke, he can smell like a canine, hear like I don't know what and he has premonitions (if that is the word for it) all the time which come to fruition.
My sister was to have surgery and he said one morning, she would have complications and it wouldn't be good. Great I needed to hear that.
Sure enough, she is back in the hospital, with severe complications and it's not good. I'm frightened to ask him for more details to be honest with you.
He no longer likes the same foods. This one kills me. Everything he loved to eat is not something he would want these days. Cooking has become a difficult chore now for me. Who is this man I live with? His favorite was Five Guys. I was driving by one the other day around dinner time and thought I'd bring him home his favorite from Five Guys. He ate it but said, "To think I really loved this before. It's okay." WHAT?
Cheeseburgers and pizza used to be his foods of choice.
He also likes sweets which he never did before.
I was the gal who would prefer to forego dinner and just go with the dessert. I do that often which he used to find funny. Now he likes a bit of chocolate after a meal or a snack.
Used to be potato chips now it's cake, cookies, and the like.
Again I don't know this man I have lived with for 34 years.
It's disconcerting.
Rick has never been a self-motivated man when it comes to chores or exercise.
He is a driven man when it comes to work and the things he loves.
Very motivated with those things.
Going to the gym? Not so much.
He would start out gangbusters and lose interest in a month. (a month is generous)
Now he wants to go to the gym every day.
It's weird blogger friends.
I love that he likes the gym now. I honestly do. After rehab, we knew he had to continue to get his strength back so we both thought joining the Y would be the thing to do. He had a trainer for 2 days to give him things to work on after a stroke. To guide him to what machines would help him in the areas he really needed help in. But now he does this on his own.
It is helping him big time.
I see his strength building in his legs and his left arm.
I see the difference. I love that he feels it and is loving the outcome which makes him want to go all the more. It really is nice to see. But as I said to my mother the other day, it's weird to be with someone for 37 years and then have him do a 180 change. She reminded me that this wasn't the worst thing that could have happened.
Oh, I know that I'm just saying it's odd, interesting, and yet fun to watch.
A cousin of mine is in town for work. Actually my cousin's daughter.
She asked to see us. We are meeting her for dinner in north Raleigh where she is staying. Yesterday we looked at the menu of the restaurant where we are meeting her. Rick saw on the menu flourless chocolate cake and said, "Ooh look flourless chocolate cake"
Who is this man?
Normally he'd say, "Oooh look at that rack of ribs."
We shall see what he gets.
Well, at least he did the work for me. Guess who is having flourless chocolate cake for dinner? I'm certain from the looks of the menu there is nothing I can eat as a celiac. So I am fine with a glass of red wine and cake. That's a damn good dinner to me!
15 comments:
Given how fashion industry recycles styles from previous decades there is NOTHING I haven't worn before!
I've never heard of belly shirts or painter's pants - if I've ever thought of painter's work clothes - and I haven't - i just think they might overalls...With my mobility issues I don't think bellbottoms, or elephant-leg pants would be a good choice and lord knows micro-minis and hot pants are not an option these days 🤣
That's interesting that Rick is so "new things" after the stroke. I didn't know that was a thing. But yeah, I'd probably want to skip the premonitions unless they are powerball numbers.
Today, my coworkers and I were talking about the return of the mullet. They're popping up all over.
"if you wore it the first time you're too old to wear it the 2nd time". LOVE it!
I heard that ABBA's song "Waterloo" is 50 years old this week. Now THAT makes me feel old! And yes, I was a teenager in the 70s too!
I'll pass on any kind of belly shirt.
"But my rule has always been if you wore it the first time you're too old to wear it the 2nd time."
What if you never stopped wearing 70s stuff?
Welcome to Rick 2.0. At least he still has the same sense of humor.
And I'd LOOOOVE for Rock'n' Roll to come back. All I hear on "rock" radio now is atonal sludge.
Kathy, sadly me too.
Grace, painter pants are white with these loops on the side, Belly shirts are for men what a tube top is for women. Ugly.
Abby, o me too for the lottery numbers :-)
Debra, yes 50 yrs - scary isn't it?
Julie, everyone should pass on that trend.
Mike, why that would be sad.
bluzdude, Yes 2.0 has still kept his sick sense of humor.
The other day a younger friend's kid told his mother he just discovered this new band, it was CCR. She laughed and told him they weren't a new band but as old as his grandparents. At least he liked it. He didn't believe her and called up Grandpa. So now Grandpa is gonna spend some time showing him some of his vinyl of "new bands"
I just finished making a bunch of CDs. My car is old. That's my choice of listening options. Either that or the radio and NO NO NO on the radio. I have an extensive collection of 70s hits. My gosh I love that music.
I had painter's pants. And bell bottoms in the 70s. H.A.S.H. pants... remember those? Star on the back pocket?
And I had paisley-print pants and matching headbands in the late 60s
I could eat flourless chocolate cake. Skip the wine, though.
We called those pants carpenter’s pants, because they could hang tools off the loops. I’m waiting for the 50s slim top, big skirt dresses. Or did I miss that trend??? Olivia
Ami, I do not know what H.A.S.H pants are.
Olivia, did those big skirts ever leave? Can't wear them too short, they swallow me up.I do not know what 50s slim tops are.
Rick is a very different man since his stroke. I've changed since my stroke and that was 47 years ago. It changes you as a person. Sometimes for the good but at times it changes you and will bother people. Oh well Peg, you're a very good person
Cruisin Paul
Oh Paul I don't know about that. But I do find it interesting in the ways he has changed.
So funny about the belly shirt. I can only imagine a stroke would change me as well. Glad that he likes the gym. Sorry he's making things hard on you in the kitchen. Hope you can come up with some good compromises.
Happy, I can deal with it, he's alive. :-)
Post a Comment