Sunday, October 16, 2022

Ramblin'

Baseball season is over for me for the most part. I may watch the World Series depending on who is in it. If it's Houston I will root for anyone, not Houston Cheatin' Astros. 
If it ends up being the Cheatin' Astros and the Phillies, I will watch neither. 
But if a fire were to my feet I'd probably go Astro's over Phillies. It kills me to say it but I'd have to. If you had told me the Dodgers wouldn't be playing I never would have believed you. Or that Atlanta couldn't beat the damn Phillies. Good thing I'm not Pete Rose 'cause I'd have lost all my money on those bets.

As I was watching a game yesterday the satellite kept going off and giving us an error message that said it was a weather issue. WHAT? 
It's 80 degrees, with no wind, low humidity, and not a cloud in the sky. 
What weather? Yesterday was perfect.

It came back on about 20 minutes later. 
Then later around 2:00am, it did it again. 
Right in the middle of something that was not streaming or on the DVR so I was just missing the rest of the movie. Insomnia and then this. I need a good book.

This morning I called Dish and they said they could see that there was a misconnection on the satellite dish etc. Great. Your issue, not mine for a change. They are sending someone here tomorrow morning you know between 10 - 12pm. Which generally means 2pm. 😊

We have had more issues with our satellite than we ever did in 22 years at our last home. How is that possible? We maybe had someone come out a total of 2/3 times in 22 yrs for issues. 

I thought maybe during the hurricane's high winds something got "bumped" and that is why it's sporadic. What the hell do I know. On my monthly bill, I pay an additional $1 something (just under $2) for this kind of service so I am not shelling out any money. All visits are free as are all things inside that I may have to buy unless I have this. I got new extension cables for my office and things like that. It is worth it. On the last visit I would have shelled out a few $100 so I don't mind them coming out when I don't have to pay but them coming out is getting a bit much. They have been here so many times in 1 year. I told Rick I think it's where they have this satellite placed. We didn't choose it nor did Dish. The last woman who lived here had Direct and they just removed her dish and put ours on top of the same pole. It will be discussed tomorrow, that's for sure.

Now that I can read again, I tried to pick up a book everyone has been talking about. This is my 3rd attempt. My mind wanders and I am finding it boring. I think I am giving up. It's just not for me. It reminded me of Gone Girl. Not the storyline but the characters. I skipped a good portion of Gone Girl because there came a point where I was like, "you people are horrible humans and I don't give a shit what happens now to either of you!" 
So then I skipped to the last chapter or two and saw how it resolved itself and that was enough for me. That is how I feel about these characters. 
So I need a new book. 

I am not overly thrilled with mysteries but some I do enjoy. I have a lot of books. I think that I may shop my very own bookcases in my office and living room and find something I haven't read in 20 years or so and see how it holds up. 

I met a blogger several years ago when I started blogging. She was moving from Florida to Portland Oregon. She LOVES Portland. She likes to say she found her tribe and her city. I get that, mine was Northern VA. 
She got a divorce and raised her 2 kids there. Then she saw an old flame again. He was in Portland and they had a date. Fast forward to a year of long-distance dating and he asked her to move to his home, in Winston Salem, NC. Her son was now on his own and didn't wish to move, he liked it there as well as his job. Her daughter is only 15 so she came with her of course. They are all in Portland now as I type this visiting what she calls a necessary mental health trip. I hope she can move back there someday. 
I understand how she feels.

She HATES it here for all the same reasons I do. She is 2 hrs away. 
I went to see her a few weeks ago for a quick visit because she had just gotten out of the hospital. She has been here twice. She saw all the changes/work we've been doing - be it ever so slow due to money. 
She was standing in the living room looking at the books on the new bookcases when I walked in with her drink. She said WOW you have some old books. I laughed and said, "or you're just so young!"  
You see she is 21 years younger than me. I said you can tell the years and my age - for example...Danielle Steele, Jackie Collins, and Dick Gregory. Danielle Steele would not be something I'd even pick up today. This was the 70s. I was in my late teens to my 20s. Then the 80s and Stephen King along with Fannie Flagg, etc. She saw the book The Color of Water by James McBride on my shelf. That pique her interest.  I don't recall when I read this but it's an older book. A memoir. I recall it being just an excellent book.  This went on with her comments on books, to the present-day books. 
She asked if she could borrow from my library. She told me long ago she does not give out books anymore unless someone signs that it will be returned or a new one is purchased. She told me this years ago. 
I too, do not lend books out. I stopped that many many years ago because I never got them back. 
So I said, "Should I do what you do?"  She said certainly!  
So she checked out a few books for her trip to Portland this week. 

I figure if she can read these old ones why can't I? 
Add to that fact that my memory is shit these days so I may find a book on my own shelf that I don't remember from over 20 years ago and I may enjoy it again. I may start with The Color of Water now that I think about it.
Do you ever reread a book you liked? Do you remember it all? Or do you glean new things from it or just enjoy the book again? 

11 comments:

Grace said...

I don't suppose the public libraries there have ebooks to borrow? If they do, a book to fall in love with and which I have read several times is "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry" by Gabrielle Zevin. It delights every time. Also "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer. They made a movie of it that was also good. These are two books I gifted to several friends. I could keep listing books that that are peopled with characters you can actually care about.

Arkansas Patti said...

Hey, the Yankees are still in it. They won last night. Hang in there. I'm kind of torn between the Yankees and Cleveland now. You know why for the Yankees and Cleveland was my first ever team when I was a 9 year old. I'll keep watching the games I can but not with my normal enthusiasm. There is spring and a new year for me to look forward to though sadly for us--without Donnie Baseball. Sigh.

bluzdude said...

I definitely read my favorite books multiple times. (I don't know HOW many times I've read The Stand...)

Funny, they always turn out the same.

Cruisin Paul said...

My wife has begun reading novels from Danielle Steel. She's loving the books. I have begun reading this summer and I can't stop reading novels from John Sandford. He wrote many novels dealing with something PREY, ther are so many topics but the ones I really enjoy the most are " Virgil Flowers Novels "
Have a wonderful day Peg.


Cruisin Paul

Julie H said...

I have a few books I have reread, usually about 1/2 way through I remember it all even after years. Weird how that works.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, even if they win the Astro's will bury 'em. As for Cleveland - my family is all cleveland fans. I'd go to all the games and rooted for the other teams. Clev was only 1.5 hr from my home so saw a lot of them. My ex-hubby played minor league for them as well.😁 I wish someone could buy the yankees, put in someone for cashman/GM and bring in Donnie Baseball for manager. If Judge leaves I will be in a puddle and I think it may take down my baseball sails!; At this point I'd be a better manager than Boone!

bluzdude, The stand huh? I've never read it believe it or not. Since I don't know what the same is I may add this to my list.

Paul. I have a ton of books for your wife. LOL Virgil flowers Novels, hmmm... I have never heard of it. But I love finding new things so I may have to google this and do some research.

Julie, I do the same with old movies. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Grace I have never heard of this movie or book but will check it out now. Going to the new library tomorrow with my list as long as my arm. I'm done buying books and I don't like kindles so I will try the library!

Mike said...

For the little that I do read I have read a few books a second time.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, you read google/internet all day. So that's reading.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I am a big time reader and book lover. I went through my Daniel Steel book phase in my 20s as well. After 10 or so, I quit, since they area ll so similar. Mostly I read historical fiction, sometimes fanatasy-action books. I did read a few apocalyptic books, but they were too depressing (because I could see the majority of people killing each other for a box of crackers).
I love the library, but I mostly go there for cookbooks I want to try out before purchasing. I have a kindle (which I love because I can read in bed without waking Romeo), and I subscribe to a reading program.
I have books I read over and over. Once I've read them 3-4 times, it might be a few years before I go back, but they are like old friends.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Yvonne you get it! I'm that kind of reader. I am rereading one from 30 yrs ago or so. I am loving it.
I don't read in bed so I don't need a kindle for that. If I read in bed I'd fall asleep. I am in my autobiography stage right now. I go through phases of books at times.