I called the hospital on the same day I made my appointment with this GI specialist. I asked for medical records to be sent to him. They said they could do all but films. Okay, then fax what you can.
I got to my appointment and no records! He is not 100% sure this is diverticulitis. He wants to see my blood work, my records, etc.
What a waste of a stressful drive there. For someone who needs a bathroom nearby every few minutes, this was a long drive so talk about stress! It took me 40 minutes to get there and that wasn't bad because I missed an exit and had to turn around. Normally that would have taken me far longer if the town wasn't deserted. Thankfully hardly any traffic due to the nightmare that is going on around these parts. I knew I had to get onto 395 and all signs kept telling me it was closed. But it was only closed into the district. Again, a big sigh of relief. I got there found a bathroom and then went to visit my doctor.
I got into the office and began the paperwork. I was done and now sitting in the area 7ft from anyone.
A woman walks in and tries to sign (American sign language) the woman at the desk behind the glass at check-in.
The woman behind the desk then said so loudly that everyone in the office could hear and we all looked up - She should just bring someone with her for petes sake!
Well now, that got me to get up.
I believe I told you I took sign language classes but over 25 yrs ago.
I remember very little. The woman behind the window wanted a name.
Now normally they can read lips even if just a little but we are all wearing masks.
So I looked at the deaf woman and signed, "What is your name? My name is Margaret." She got so excited. I pointed to the 2 Drs names and pointed to one then the other. She had me stop on the dr she was seeing.
I told the bitch woman behind the window her name and the doctor's name of who she was here to see.
The woman behind the glass handed this woman her paperwork to fill out.
The deaf woman touched my coat for me to turn to view her and she said thank you. I smiled. As I was turning around the wench behind the counter said, "she still should have someone with her" in such a nasty tone!
I said, "Well, maybe the office should have someone who can sign."
I said it far nicer than I meant it and she shrugged and rolled her eyes at me. I know I'm a bitch too.
It would not have been that difficult to write what she needs.
The office could have a paper that reads, please sign in and please give me your photo ID and insurance card, just for occasions like this.
I am certain it happens more than once.
When the deaf woman attempted to speak you could tell she was deaf. Honestly, I dislike people the more I have to be around them. There was no reason for that employee of the drs office to behave that way. I wrote on a piece of paper to the deaf woman that is all I know in sign. She laughed and sighed, it's okay thank you. I at least understood that.
When I got home I told Rick ole ASL (American sign language) came in handy, but I would have liked to have said some choice words to the woman behind the desk in Italian. Rick knew what I meant and laughed. He told me I should have she would never have known what you said to her. I said, "it'd be my luck that someone there knew all the bad words in Italian like me."
When I came out of the office and got my coat to leave my wasted appointment, the deaf woman was sitting in the lobby waiting to be called to go back. She waved to me and thanked me again. I waved back and signed you're very welcome....or I think I did. 😉
19 comments:
That is wonderful that you were able to step in and help that woman.
Like her deafness was such an inconvenience to the office worker! It makes me angry.
God, I hate it when people are rude to disabled people. I saw it too much after my husband had his stroke. Fortunately, though, I saw far more people go out of their way to be extra nice and patient with him. Glad you were there for the woman.
I've had the same things happen with records not being sent when they should have. Wastes everyone's time.
I always wanted to learn ASL - I bought the books! I bet there are a kabillion youtube videos - I should make that my new project.
I can't say I have ever been treated rudely by medical staff, or seen anyone treated rudely, the doctors are another story.
We are lucky that we are just 2.5 miles away from Virginia Hospital Center and that just about every doctor in the area, including Alexandria and Fairfax are affiliated with them. All major medical testing is done there and any doctor affiliated with VHC can access those records. And you can access your own records and grant access to any unaffiliated doctor. My pulmonologist was able to access my chest CT scan on his lap top!
That person's conduct should be passed up the line. Very unprofessional. Very rude. And what a horrible person.
I'm glad you were there for her.
I didn't know you knew even a little ASL. I almost flunked Spanish in HS. I assume Spanish would be easier than ASL.
I see Lonney John has been here to visit you. I got a visit today also. And he left the exact same message. So he types one long message then copies and pastes it on anybody's blog he can get to. I'll have to start a file of his comments to see if he reuses them.
Olga, that is exacting how she behaved, like this poor woman was an inconvenice for her. With a pandemic maybe she couldn't have someone with her.It made my blood boil....obviously.
Jean, I'm sorry you and Don had to deal with that.
Grace. Yes, i have that with all my Inova doctors but I had to go out of network for this one.
Ami, my first visit i chose not to say anything but I probably will on my 2nd on tuesday
Mike, I hate looney john and if I could block him I would. ASL I found difficult. Then when I was getting it I found I wasn't as fast. I am certain I may have looked like I was mentally challenged but I have found when helping people they don't care Rick or I have helped paramedics and the patient and someone who passed out in a grocery store. So it is really something that makes us feel good about learning it. But if you don't use it you lose it!
Have I told you lately that I love you?
Way proud of you girl and totally disgusted with the receptionist. Think I would leave a scathing comment on their website.
You must be excited for today ( Wednesday ), the day that Trump leaaves and Biden becomes the new president. A breath of fresh air. I hope that you getting better Peg.
Cruisin Paul
I know the alphabet and that's about it. Why didn't she just write down what she needed how dumb (the office lady). That is what I would have done for a customer.
Paul, I am excited. It's over we have a new president and hopefully restore some sanity.
Ah thanks Linda! xo
Patti, it is what I think all would do if they could sign. If not I don't wish to know you. :-)
Julie - exactly. The woman did tap the counter where a sign in sheet is normally as if asking, where do I sign in. When the woman behind the desk did not get an answer is when she got all pissy. Some people should not be allowed to work with the public unattended.
Maybe there was a reason for you to be there even without your paperwork - to help that woman. Since we are told by most drs. offices not to bring anyone else to appointments I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it.
Oh Barbara that is the truth. I forgot about that. My husband said the same thing as you about me being there at that time for that reason. Now I have an urge to brush up on my ASL. I think in retirement I may take classes again. Who knows.
I can't imagine that the receptionist found being so rude to that woman. She was brave because she knew the woman couldn't hear her. Ugh. She should be fired....I have heard so many rude Dr office stories! I can't imagine it....my very first thought was, why not write it down? Good for you, being able to pull out just enough sign language to help!
Post a Comment