Friday, January 22, 2021

Friday

So do you think cheesecake could be part of my 'soft food' diet?
I mean it's a soft food, right? 

In all seriousness, Rick asked about me making "my" cheesecake. 
I love when he says "my" as if only I can make this recipe. 
I told him it's not mine, you too can make it. 
He laughs and tells me it won't be as good if he makes it. 
Oh, that ole line!
Wanna guess what I am making this weekend?

Normally because I can't eat graham crackers due to celiac I used nuts on the bottom for the crust. The cheesecake that Rick likes is almond and chocolate. 
So I grind up the almonds with a little butter and it makes a crust just like the graham cracker crust. 
BUT I can no longer eat nuts while on this or maybe forever, so I guess I could eat just the insides. I've tried GF graham crackers and well - don't you try them. Awful!  I'd rather go without than eat cardboard or all chemicals.
Something tells me while this is indeed soft it is not what the doctor meant so this will be Rick's with me sneaking a taste I am certain! 
I mean c'mon it's friggin' cheesecake. I gotta (she whines)
Remember Cake is my favorite food group!

We put down our deposit for our RV rental in March. We are headed to NC for 5 days to do some research on where we will be living. And of course, visiting 2 friends while there. 

In doing our homework on RV rentals we found many who would not allow dogs. We want a small size RV since it is only 2 of us and neither of us wish to drive a 36ft RV. We found a company that gave us a quote. We put a deposit and are going to view it next weekend. (rick has to work this weekend) 

It is small. And in all honesty, I don't think the 2 of us can sleep in that bed. Rick being so tall he will be diagonal. That's okay I can sleep in the makeshift bed that the table turns into or the bed above the cab. It's just for 5 days we will be fine. 
This eliminates Covid Hotels and not being able to go to restaurants while on the road. The dog will love the 5 hr drive in comfort. We have secured our camping site on a lake. Hey, we don't go anywhere where the Big Guy can't throw in a line.  
The cost was broken down for us. Then I did the same with costs to a hotel that accepts dogs etc. and finding food out somewhere. The RV was just under $300 more, not quite. So we decided to go for it instead of hotels with cooties. 


We may rent a small car to travel around the city in. Not sure yet. 
All about the money you know.
A car is far easier to maneuver than this RV especially when you aren't from the area and know where you are going. Then go back to our campsite at night. The campsite is only $30 a night so that too isn't outrageous. All in all, I think this will be a good way to travel down there. 
Rick had a big plan for my 65th birthday. A trip to Florida, see the Yankees in spring training, watch games, and to see my niece and my cousin Bob. But then a pandemic hit so he has been stressing he tells me last night. He doesn't know what to do for me. I said I want or need nothing except large stacks of cash and good health.  Then I suggest we make this my birthday weekend and let's have some fun charting our next chapter of life and see where we are going to live. So there ya have it.

They will put a $1,000 security hold on our card. ouch. 
Once we return the vehicle they will remove the hold and not charge us anything unless of course, we damage it. We also didn't have to get insurance because our insurance company, Erie Insurance, takes RV rentals. Good to know and fabulous that they knew this. There were two things added to the price which we really wanted and one we didn't. One was the dog. They charged us $124 to bring Izzy. The other was 24 hr roadside service and road assistance. That to us was important and while it was only $50 we felt we had to have this. So if I took off those two charges it is now even closer to the hotel vs rental costs. I can live with that.
And I'm so looking forward to this. By the time we go, it will be 1 year of this pandemic and being locked in our homes. 
It will feel good to see something different. 

I leave you with Rick in his shirt I mentioned yesterday. He told me he thought he looked awful so he didn't want his face shown. He looks fine.  But I respect his request. Personally, I would have said, can you photoshop me and remove my belly? This is where men and women differ a great deal. 
But I don't have photoshop so I couldn't even if he did want it. He does make me shake my head.  He looked fine here. But whatever. I hate all my pics so I get it.



This is Izzy yesterday watching Rick eat something. She just stares at him or me the entire time we eat. This drives me crazy. It's like she is starving with those big sad eyes. She's obviously not starving just good with the sad puppy eyes.


16 comments:

Linda dev said...

Why’d ya go and cover the cutest part of my back up husband? Gall darn it.

Sounds like a good plan though. Hope you find your retirement home on a lake with a dock.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Linda, not this time. Had one of those for 10 yrs. Now we're too poor, unfortunately. But the water will be near by. :-)

Olga said...

That look is irresistible! I will be interested to know how you like the RV. I think it might be fun but I have not ever spent time one.

Grace said...

Oh you adventurous people. Seriously, I am such a concrete and carbon monoxide gal, that I have always agreed with Joan Rivers re: roughing it. (That would be a hotel without room service...)

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

The RV looks like very much like the one my husband and used to travel in...for ten years. Best way to travel, in my opinion especially with a dog. Rick is used to driving a service truck so he won't have any trouble. When we were on highways I often drove between rest stops to have him a break. Remember to look parking spaces where you can drive straight out instead of backing out...saves a lot of trouble.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Grace, I always said that to Rick when he'd ask me to go camping. Never. That's a hotel with out room service. But this is all the comforts of home.

Olga, that face is what gets me and she knows it. She's a bitch🙂

Jean, hey thanks for that tip. I will pass it on to Rick who will mostly be driving.

Mike said...

I should try and photoshop Rick's face back into the picture. There are other programs besides photoshop that can do that.

Cruisin Paul said...

Izzy is so wonderful. Those large eyes are saying, " please giving me whatever you are eating, please? I love it Peg. You have such a great dog.

Cruisin Paul

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I do like Rick's tee shirt! Happy birthday! I wish I had a good suggestion for a cheesecake crust you could use, and then it occurs to me that you can just skip the crust, although it might fall apart a bit more.
All dogs go to the nearest mirror or window and practice until the "sad eyes" look is perfected. Izzy could give lessons :-D

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Its, we thought of that too, no crust. Yes, Iz could give lessons.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thx Paul.

Arkansas Patti said...

You probably will be OK if you don't eat the crust. Pretty sure Rick won't let your crust go to waste.
Think you will love RVing and in fact won't be surprised if you don't become full timers. My brother does it 6 months a year in Florida but not this year.

Barbara said...

I think the RV trip is a great idea and the perfect way to start planning the next chapter. Sounds like so much fun.

Abby said...

Your upcoming RV adventure sounds fun! And a good way to getaway during "these times". I've thought about renting an RV before, but haven't looked into it recently.
Rick looks nice and manly there in his shirt. My brain will insert his face. I've never asked my husband or kids' "permission" before posting pics of them on my blog - you're very kind!
Izzy is adorable as always! No filter!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, well....I didn't exactly ask him. So I'm not that kind. I grabbed my phone to move the photo and he asked what I was doing. Busted! I told him putting that pic of him on my blog and then he asked me not to because he thought he looked mean or some silly thing. So thank you, but I don't deserve the Kind comment.

Barbara said...

Ok. Now I remember you were going to NC. Relocating and starting your new life is getting closer. So much research to do. Too bad the RV trip had so many problems. I hope something wonderful turns up down there for yall.