Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Time to Leave

I'm doing okay but just can't post anything that is fun or funny.

It's scary shit here right now. My doctor's appointment was moved to this afternoon because everything and everyone is closing down and not wanting to be around tomorrow.  All of our company's appointments near the city have canceled. One man said he was taking his family far away for a few days. I don't blame him.

I read that a woman reported seeing something a bit fishy with boats bringing in jetskis and motorcycles so she called the FBI. For those of you who don't live here you don't ever see a jet skier on the Potomac. When we had our boat moored up here never once did I see that - ever in all those years. So now you can not walk or drive into the city from VA or MD. Hell you can't walk many places in DC now either. You also can not get on the Potomac River.

So I didn't even have to tell my nieces to not come to the inauguration. I had a feeling if I sat tight I wouldn't have to say a thing. Whew!

My first year of living here there was 9/11. I was in NYC on 9/10 but came home a day early because my doctor called and said they had a cancellation and could get me in on 9/11. I hopped the train and came home on the evening of the 10th. I am in the parking lot and I hear on the radio that a plane went into one of the towers. I called Rick as I walked from my car to the dr.'s office and said, that was not an accident. It is a clear blue sky. He said I am fearing that too. By the time I go into the gyno's office, they were all a buzz. I sit down and a woman screams the pentagon was bombed. (at that point that was what she thought had happened) Another woman begins to wail. She is very pregnant and she was yelling that her husband and brother work at the pentagon. It was a whirlwind. I leave and it takes me 2 hrs to get home.  Helicopters, police, men in flak jackets, and scary movie shit. 

I finally get home to see my husband sitting on the edge of his seat watching the news. All he says to me is, "I am so thankful you are home and not in Manhattan right now. Thank God for a yeast infection!"    The man can make me laugh even in dire moments like that.

In a matter of weeks, we were hit with a sniper in the area. We feared even getting gas for our vehicles since some had been shot down while filling their tanks. Then we had anthrax scares shortly thereafter and we didn't have mail for a while. 

All my first year of living here. 

Now the cult of trump and his lunatic minions

I think it's time we leave. 


14 comments:

Brian said...

Quoting Jeff Foxworthy: "Here's your sign!"

Jamie Ghione said...

I've been afraid to even go to the doctor in the last year. But I haven't had to just yet. I've been having phone appointments for my psychiatrist since quarantine began last March. It's already done by television.

I too, remember what I was doing on 9/11. It was the day I got hired for the new Dollar Tree in my town.

I am excited for tomorrow.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Brian, yep we see the sign. And it was Bill Engvall who had thst joke.

Jamie, why afraid? Covid? I get that! I am only excited for a new president, not the rest of tomorrow!

Jamie Ghione said...

Yes, COVID. The telepsychiatrist I had been seeing for years left and a new one came in. She said I would need lab work, but said I don't need to do it right away, in order to avoid risking COVID.

Jamie Ghione said...

And I did mean for the new president coming in tomorrow.

Abby said...

It seems trite to say, "stay safe, Peggy", but I hope saying (typing) it makes it true! And then get while the gettin's good!
"Thank God for a yeast infection!" omg, that Rick.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jamie I agree with you. It is scary and that is how I felt going into the hospital so I so understand!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, yes I wrote about this a long time ago and I had never been so happy to have one that OTC meds were not helping. I remember standing in Chinatown waving for a taxi when my doctor called me and I called amtrak and went to my hotel and left. Tell me that wasn't divine intervention. If I had been there I'd have been in lower manhattan where this took place. I probably wouldn't have gotten home for days. Rick couldn't have reached me because all cell service was shut off. Scary times and scarier when it's your own country men like now.

Grace said...

I live about 6 miles door-to-door from the White House and it is crazy quiet here today - tho last night there were a few copters flying, which is unusual because we are close enough to National Airport to be in the no-fly zone so you know they were gov't copters. We had to go to the hospital center this morning and there was NO traffic at all. Both drivers said that driving in DC for the past week has been a nightmare and today it was just not happening - I can imagine what tomorrow will be like.

RE: 9/11 Who would think a medical appointment would be such a fortuitous thing. We were living in the Caribbean at the time (government assignment) and I still get angry at the reactions of the Americans who were vacationing there at the time and the response of that government.

Julie H said...

Time to move! Crazy times right now. At least they have shit locked down instead of inviting them in for selfies.

Arkansas Patti said...

I don't think I will breathe properly till the 21st. I would hate to live as close as you and moving would be on my list but hopefully--tomorrow will be a start to rational behavior, something we have sorely been missing.
Will be thinking of you two --- please stay hunkered down and safe.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Grace, you need to expel on what those Americans were doing that upset you? were they not as distressed as we were here?

Anonymous said...

I will be going out soon to ring my bells for unity and compassion for so many lives lost to Covid. It's unlikely that anyone will hear them, because I live that far out. But I will still ring them, because I will hear them, and I will bear witness to the loss. The senseless loss. I also ring them on 9/11. Again, bearing witness. It's really a small thing. But it's what I can do.

Please stay safe.

Grace said...

It would be a long tirade - but it was all about THEM. Me, me, me. The gov't of the country we were in was whining about the money they were losing by the travel shut down - it was all about money, money, money. It was disgusting.