We have a friend, Denny, who gets grapes from a farmer, and then he makes what we call Denny Wine. Denny lives in PA. Grapes come from CA.
His crop this year is so smokey that they just can't make good wine.
His farmer sent him some grapes to evaluate and make his own decision.
Denny told us last night it was awful tasting and he won't be making any wine this year. Smoke is good on ribs, not so much on a cabernet.
How very sad for the wine industry.
Of course, that means my wine will be more expensive so I've made this about me.
Is this the fire that started from a gender reveal party? I hate gender reveal parties and find them loathsome. I hope these people are fined if that is true! They have killed acres and people. I would want them to pay!
I have to make a lot of calls daily. I abhor automated answering.
It takes twice as long to get to who you need to speak to.
Yesterday I was in automated hell for what seemed like forever but was probably only 5 minutes. I hit this number, then that number, then I was on hold for a while and then I was disconnected. Then I called back. I hit this number, then another number, then on hold. Someone came on and told me it was not the right dept even though I hit the right number. So then they transferred me. I was on hold for a solid 5 minutes and then I got a human. If a person answered the phones and would direct the calls it would be far faster. So frustrating to me.
Last night Rick was lounging in his ugly chair. (boy I hate this chair and all recliners really) He told me he was so comfy.
I looked over at him and his shit eating grin.
I laughed and said you look happy old man.
He replied, "I could spend my retirement right here."
I said, " if you do, I'll leave you"
His response?
"Oh man, is that all it's gonna take?"
The Ass!
I am trying to listen to some of my old music to avoid TV.
I dug up this one yesterday. I forgot how much I liked Sly.
I have a few hundred (like 400) albums.
They move with me and yet I have nothing to listen to them on.
A blogger friend is visiting in late October.
She loves vinyl. I think my stuff may be too old but she's digging some 60's stuff right now so maybe some of my Beatles and 70s stuff she may wish to take off my hands. She told me she'd buy them. I will give them to her! Less for me to purge when I leave this house.
I don't know why it saddens me to let them go though.
Do you know the only thing we ever fought about when I was getting a divorce from Rick #1 was albums?
I can see the whole scenario in my mind's eye from the winter of 1983 when we were sitting on the living room floor drinking hot cocoa with peppermint schnaps.
We had our stacks of albums and were separating his from mine.
The 3rd pile was a fight.
We had a stack of his, hers and no way you're taking that one and we'll deal with it later.
At one point he told me he'd make a tape of the Guess Who and Sammy Hagar for me so he could have the albums. I said okay I can live with that.
Now I don't have a cassette player either.
There was a point where I saw him take one from my stack and put it on his.
I said, "Hey I saw that - I want that back." I'll give you a Billy Joel for an Aerosmith. Nope, I want both since I bought both before we were married and you don't even like Billy Joel.
Oh yeah, he'd laugh and say. It went like this forever.
We laughed a lot and as is usually the case I gave in a lot more than him.
And what for? Albums I can't listen to so might as well give them away now. Thankfully he liked a lot of stuff I didn't like such as The Doors, JJ Cole, Clapton, and some other guitar greats. Not my thing. So that part was easy.
But everyone would ask me how difficult it was to split stuff up. Not at all. Silverware for 12? he got 6 and I got 6. Your family gave us this so you can have it. We kind of stuck to that method except for a gift his grandmother made me.
I told him I wanted to keep it and he felt it was important for me to keep so we agreed. Not one single argument. Besides he had guilt I could have used that in my workings with him. But didn't need to for albums and besides I used it (guilt) once and I felt like shit after I did it so didn't wish to do that again.
We were so easy until the albums and I find that so funny now don't you?
She told me she loves Nillson Schmilson. I remember having it on 8 track.
I would drive around to hear a song again.
No FF or Rewind on an 8 track, just drive around some more.
How funny is that?
She finds that era so fascinating. So there could be something she may like.
The last album I bought was Melissa Etheridge's first album. Then CD's became the mode of listening to music. God I'm old as dirt.
28 comments:
Ya gotta try some NY wines!!! There are any number of wineries that have great Cabernets, Cab-Franks, Cab-Sauvignons, Merlots and even a DeChaunac. You want ideas on where to look, lemme know!
Oh Brian, I have tried some because others have said same. I find them to be on the same level as VA wines. No real body nor dry and deep. I don't want concord grapes! (PA)
I am not a fan of VA,PA, or NY wines. At least not yet. If you can find one that is a solid body dry red like Armstong or even like Josh, which is a cheap wine. I'd be thrilled! I will drink Gin before VA wine. I will also drink any year before the fires😄 but if you tell me one you'd think I'd like o may try if not expensive
I hated how smoky it got in California this summer. Now for the first days of October, it's supposed to be close to 100 degree weather.
I was caught in phone tree hell yesterday too! Every choice circled around back to the main menu and then you got disconnected. I called back 3 times then gave up. My husband didn't believe me when I told him I couldn't reach anyone so he tried it - same thing.
Jmaie, oh I am so sorry and I know most don't have central air. Which when I found out astounded me! I pray it gets better soon for you all. The photos are heart-wrenching.
Grace - it is the definition of hell I am certain.
What Brian said. I didn't know there were so many wineries in NY until I lived there, and wildfires there are rare! I've heard the gender revealers have been fined heavily, and I hope it's true. Even if they don't start a raging fire, I also find gender reveal parties ridiculous.
I don't remember the last album I bought as I've gotten rid of all of them. I do remember the "blink" that was the era of 8-tracks.
Abby, I've been to many in NY along the lake shore and upstate. Never found a wine I liked. I have been to a plethora in VA - never find a wine I like. California wines now that I like. Washington State wines are excellent,Italian wines, Australian wines. From a dry arid climate makes the grapes I like to drink best. It's all about what you like not so much what you can get your hands on, I'm not an alcoholic just yet. :-)
Records are becoming really big in the resale world. You might want to look at what you have on the completed Ebay listings, you might be able to retire early lol
Oh and I'm pretty sure the gender reveal one was south and the grapes are north so not the same fire
For real? An original Beatle, Woodstock? Hmm....
Julie, $25 for Rumors? I have rumors! holy shit. 3 of the albums I saw I have and it adds up to $55 for 3 albums. I wonder if these actually move though.
I still have about 4 Peaches crates of record albums, from my record-store job years. Even when CDs came in, I kept the records for the simple reason that they were better for autographing. Been lugging them around ever since.
Claudia saw an album that was going for $10,000. Don't let any go until you check them all out.
And if you want to play and record them, here's a USB turntable, cheap. There are more expensive ones.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-stereo-turntable-black/6382834.p?skuId=6382834
Bluzdude, I have been lugging them around the country too. Crazy of me if you really think about it.
Mike, I have a cheap USB turntable. I just don't really want to catalog them all and photograph them. HA what spare time do I have to do all that? But the thought of getting $25 an album is a nice chunk of change.
Never even thought about the smoke affecting the taste of grapes. Bummer.
You don't have a cassette player? Shoot that is all I have in my vehicle but then it is 16 years old. Some how I missed the 8 track days all together.
You really should try Ebay. Vinyl is sought after today.
Patti, I too have a cassette and CD player in my 13yr old car. They sound horrible though. :-( How did you miss 8 tracks? I may have to go through mine this weekend and being the process but I am not sure I want to bother. I mean I have to package them and pay postage and that alone will cost as much as the album so what am I really making? Not sure it's worth it. If it were a place locally I'd bring 'em all in. But I just don't think I want to deal with more people than I do on a daily basis. Oh it arrived broken I want my money back. Just not sure about this...
I think the gender reveal fire starters should serve some jail time. There isn't a fine big enough to cover all the despair they've caused.
I am with you Jean!!
Guess what new chair I bought to bring in to my new home? A lazyboy recliner and I'm already retired. Sorry Peg and my wife OK'ed the chair. Hey Rick, enjoy your chair. Sorry again Peg. I could send you a good bottle of wine if you want since I don't drink. My lips haven't had any booze for 43 years. I guess I'm crazy. LOL
Have a great day my friend.
Cruisin Paul
Oh Paul you men and your recliners!! no wine in 43 yrs? Good for you...I think. :-) Have a wonderful weekend.
Forget toilet paper, hoard wine before it's too late.
Olga, you get me😇😊
We have grapes. Does your friend want to try those? We have lived in our house for almost 17 years and have never done one thing with them. They just grow on vines that cover a fence between us and the neighbors. We should really do something with them.
I still remember listening to 8 tracks with my mom and dad in the car.
I don't think they will be making a comeback like vinyl but I have been wrong before.
Take care.
Mr. S. I sure hope tracks don't come back! Lol
You don't even make jam or hot pepper jelly with all your grapes with the kids? First time I did it, my uncle picked grapes and made jelly with us.At first we kids thought it was dreadful. But something happened and we started to enjoy it. I thought my Uncle was a God. I got to take a jar or 2 home. For some reason that memory makes me smile. THX
I was wondering if the fires would affect the grapes. I was told the previous fire didn't have any effect on wine, but maybe the grapes were at a different stage. Our oldest daughter works for Gallo so I will ask her what they're seeing.
Your discussion of records reminded me of my first husband (he's Jim #1--I'm on #3 as in third Jim is the charm). We had a van and a stereo system. He took the stereo, and I took the van. Somehow I ended up with his It's Beautiful Day album along with my albums. That one was worth more than any other when I sold them all.
I had heard about the smoky grapes...so I guess they will not make good wine. I'm sorry for all of the California wine lovers, it is such a tragedy. We shall see how many of them decide to come back.
In the meantime, New Mexico has lots of wineries. If you want to try, let me know what you like (dry?) and I'll ask what's best for your tastes and send it to you. Wine lovers should not be without....hahaha. I don't drink wine and I won't bother telling you what I do like if I'm offered. It's an insult to wine! I'm a fan of beer, but I'm not having any these days (when it's so desperately needed, GAH) because I'm already having problems with keeping the pounds from creeping on.
I'm serious about the wine......
Billy Joel or Aerosmith--hard choices.
Over the years we have slowly eliminated our vinyls. they were pretty worn out. We have about 15-20 left.
We remember all the music stuff over our decades. All were great years. We have a ton of cds which will some day be like vinyls? I doubt it.
We are all old as dirt at this point.
Susan, my niece tells me no one buys CDs anymore either. All streaming. They will never get the concept album or anything good from streaming. It's sad really.
Post a Comment