Saturday, October 31, 2020

Missing Everything

I miss everything.
I miss my friends and family. I miss that I can't go anywhere. I miss having a good president. I miss harmony. But I don't leave my bubble.

As we head into the abyss of winter and everyone being sick again and the numbers going up what are we doing differently? 
Isn't the definition of stupidity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?  It's so disheartening. It makes me weary.

To get the guests we had they took a test. They were quarantined and the tests all said no covid. So they headed north to visit us. We are of the same ilk so they are in their bubble and we are in ours and we gave it a shot to try. I think it worked out perfectly. I also think having guests, Friends, that we laughed with and broke bread with, made me miss people. I didn't even realize it. Normally I don't enjoy people, strangers that is. So feeling what I've been missing really hit us both actually. 

But now I have a cousin who called and asked if she can stop here on her way back to VA Beach after her trip to PA. PA is a hotbed of rednecks who won't wear masks, who congregate in groups and do not social distance. How do we tell her we don't want her to come here after them? I don't know what I will say but I have to call her back this evening. Rick is not thrilled by this person coming here after PA. She said on voicemail she was so tired of being in the house she just has to get out. Well, we are all tired missy, suck it up and wait it out like all the rest of us who do not wish to die with pre-existing conditions.
Why is this so difficult to wrap their head around?  A 10 year old gets it.
I just shake my head.

I did go out yesterday and I dressed. I had to put on a bra, real pants with a zipper and button, not leggings and a pair of chunky heeled boots.
Now that I have a Covid uniform that was painful to do. I had on these clothes for 3 hours. I came home and Rick began talking and I told him I'd be downstairs in a minute - hold that thought.
I had to rip off the bra for a comfy sports bra, take off the nice jeans and put on leggings, took off the pretty top and put on a big oversized sweatshirt and heaven knows I took off the heels and back to bare feet in slippers.
Aaah, that felt good. But it's frightening how quickly I was able to conform to a Covid wardrobe. For a gal who never went out without makeup or shoes and bra and nice clothes I have done a 180. I fear I won't be able or want to ever go back. 

In other news...
Blogger is nutso. I now can do things I haven't been able to do for months or most of this year. Now I can do them BUT a new thing is that my reading list will not post my WordPress blogs anymore that I read. 

Is blogger part of the white house? Messing up things all over the place with no plan, no structure, no good outcome? 
I still can't get emails telling me about comments and it feels like I never will but then again I never thought I'd have that damn pencil at the bottom to make a change or update. I am not a patient person so of course, this annoys me. 

BTW, Rick's knee was doing pretty damn well after his last day of steroids. He then had an orthopedic dr. appointment. The dr insisted they should drain the swelling around his knee. They stuck a needle in the poor guy's knee and there was nothing. So he tried another spot, then another. 
Rick said he told the doctor he was sadistic because you are getting nothing and this is hurting like hell, can you please just stop?  He did after the 3rd one. He said I really thought there would be fluid in there I can feel it. Rick said, "are you sure it's not fat?"  Dr. M laughed and told him no, it's not fat. So they stuck him 3 x and moved that needled around a bit after each stab. The poor guy came home in such pain. Again, no drugs because he may be an addict you know. Nothing to stop the pain. He was told to put heat on it.  This not giving pain meds to me is ridiculous. I get that you don't want to give a patient an unlimited amount of Percocets (oxy) but it's inhuman not to give them something. 

So Rick poured himself a stiff drink, got in the ugly chair, and put the heating pad on his leg. I rubbed some CBD cream but I knew that really wouldn't help much. He was still hurting this morning. He was almost done with the pain until the damn dr. took a needle to his knee.

He worked Friday and he was happy he only had one job. The 2nd moved to November 9th. After they moved I didn't put anyone in their place to give the poor guy a break. Whew, that helped his knee. Saturday, he is working as well. Hopefully, this will subside. So much for going to the doctor for relief eh?  Next up is an MRI for his knee.
But you know what they did tell him? - he has the knees of a teenager.
He has a great deal of cartridge between the knees that is usually deteriorated by his age. Well, it's nice to hear, but honestly, it's not helping any for this poor guy.

16 comments:

RO said...

Luckily I'm an introvert who masquerades as an extrovert, so staying in doesn't bother me as much as it does others. I'm okay with venturing out briefly with colorful masks in the grocery store or walking around the neighborhood. Like you, I can't wait to get back in the house to go bra-less(lol) My son and his fiance are headed to Louisiana next month to see family because of the nightmare of all those storms there. My brother and his girlfriend don't know what to do with their latest windfall, so they're headed to Las Vegas before Thanksgiving so they can get all those deals. I asked him to leave most of his money with me in case he gambled everything away while he was there.(lol) This is a guy who doesn't mind spending $150 a day on scratch-offs and visits the roulette wheel 4 times a week at the casino which happens to be a 6 minute drive from his house. I think his girlfriend should threaten to go bra-less if they ever leave the house again!(lol) Be well and hugs to you and Rick. Hope he feels better soon! RO

Grace said...

I'm surprised they didn't give Rick some lidocaine patches for his knee - they do work a treat. Since we live in social isolation as a regular way of life the lock down hasn't affected us to any degree but I am taking more and more precautions when we do go out (once a week to grocery shop). Since my hospital stay in late September I seem to have a doctor's appointment every week, and they keep assuring me that I am more protected in the hospital (which is where all my appointments are) than I am anywhere else. Don't know that I believe them LOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ro, boy if I had a windfall Vegas is the last place I'd go. :-) I am not a gambler. So many of you tell me you are introverts. The blogger who visited me last weekend has said that for years. I was worried I would frighten her. But it worked. I guess you introverts don't mind an extrovert every now and then. :-) have a wonderful weekend.

Grace, Rick and I don't go out much ever. But after having guests here last weekend I longed to have some of that kind of time with other that I love. Because I am misanthropic, it would not be the world, just some family. And the hospital comment I sit on the fence. I want to think that is the best place for me. But on the other hand it is ripe with this virus. So I fluctuate on that one. But my only travels are grocery store, pharmacy and dr appointments. My life has become pathetic

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Word Press and Bloggers are in competition. I'm not surprised that they don't interface anymore since they both went through major platform changes recently. Those fine tune issues are a low priority.

I think a lot of people are enjoying their pandemic wardrobe and won't go back.

Don't you just hate it when poeople put you in a position of inviting themselves over when you know they haven't been careful about the virus. I didn't go to a graduation party last spring because the girl's grandparents are anti-maskers.

Olga said...

I was reminded of that song from Little Shop of Horrors -- "Son, Be a Dentist."

Arkansas Patti said...

Know how you feel about visitors now. I'd tell your cousin that since you would all have to sit outside on count of Covid that Rick's knee probably can't take the cold. Yep, I'd hang it on him. It is sad that we no longer feel safe around others.
So sorry Rick was tortured by the docs and hope he gets some relief soon for those teenage knees.

Abby said...

One of the reasons I like my job is that it gets me out of the damn house. Even though I have to be dressed in nearly Hazmat attire a good amount of the time, I see my husband working from home all day and think I'd go bonkers.
I'm glad you had a nice visit with friends after taking proper precautions, good luck with the travelers.
"are you sure it's not fat?" - OMG, I laughed!

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Although I would love to have family come for a visit, it doesn't bother me that we don't have visitors....I talk to people in person all day long at work. Sometimes I just want to come home and veg and not talk ~ poor Romeo has been home with the dog all day, now suddenly becomes chatty cathy!

Awwww, I feel so sorry for Rick. Honestly, I'm not sure that docs will go back to their previous happy-go-lucky pain subscribing physicians. The problem is they are scrutinized, and the pharmacies keep track of it. We do sometimes receive a report from a pharmacy of how often a patient was prescribed them (from all doctors/dentists/etc). I would not hesitate to ask ~ all they can do is say no! One of the dentists in our practice doesn't prescribe unless the patient asks, or if he did major oral surgery.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, having never watched Little Shop of Horrors I do not get the reference.

Patti, some teenage knees with this kind of pain. He said as much to the Doctor.

Abby, like Romeo I am home all day every day. While I do have to speak to people it's not the same. My mom who should be retired said to me retirement is too much like covid and I don't enjoy it. That made me chuckle.

Yvonne - neither Rick or I have asked. Oh wait I did once at the ER and they told me to go home and take advil. I assume they thought only a druggie would ask for the pain meds. But if they took the time to see they would see I don't have them stock piled etc. I know they are scrutinized but its still inhumane to me. Oh I took an oath to help patients but I stop at helping them feel better. No sense.

Olga said...

Well, then, you simply must watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHsDKqKE_kc

Mike said...

WordPress blogs still get updated on 'my blog list'. So the two systems still talk to each other for some things.

I pictured Rick in a hospital bed with the ropes and pulleys holding up his arms and legs. You say he's still going out to jobs?!

Mary said...

I’d use Rick’s knee as part of the excuse and just tell your cousin...let’s delay the visit for awhile because of COVID. No need to risk yourselves.
I love being able to not wear make up out because of the mask. The only thing I do is put on eyebrows. At home I’m a slob and love it. I let my hair grow out to it’s natural color, quit painting my nails and I’m cool with that too.
Since I’m at home most of the time, I garden and do some painting, TV, reading. It’s enough for me.
Luckily I’m in Fla., so I can get outside anytime in the winter. That helps tremendously. I need fresh air and sun.

Winter will be rough for many and if trump is re elected...god help us all and the world..

Cruisin Paul said...

At least Rick can see a doctor. I have to go to a visual doctor to see any problem. My doctor hasn't seen a patient for months. That's a pain in the ass. Visual, BS.
Halloween was quiet, no one came to my door thank goodness. Tomorrow we move to our new home, is we get the keys. Have a great Sunday Peg.

Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, okay. I think I see why I never saw this play or movie.

Mike - no he is still working. Hobbling. He had 2 days off that was it.

Mary, I got out of it but not by using his knee. I just told her how we felt. It is blustery here today and walking Izzy is like walking forward two steps and then it pushes you back one step.

Paul - Happy MOving DAy! yes we can see doctors for some things. He is having an MRI this week and that is in a hospital. We'll see.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mary, I too stopped coloring my hair and I actually like it!

Julie H said...

I just wear leggings most of the time. I just hate that most don't have pockets! I put make up on for Halloween in case someone took my picture but no one did.