Monday, October 26, 2020

Catch Up

 Hi Everyone. I'm back.

Wow. I think I ate, drank, and sat more this weekend than ever before. My blogger friend arrived with her significant other and adorable teenage daughter.
It was a great weekend. I just felt bad about doing things with everything being closed.

We went to the District and they wanted to see the White House. As you may or may not know ole Donnie built a fortress around the white house. It is no longer The Peoples House. I knew this but then to see this made me so fucking angry!
Sorry, it's the only way to express my disgust. This is what a dictator does, not a standing president of the USA. Oh please vote out the turd on November 3rd.

Then on Sunday, we went to Middleburg my favorite charming little town that is a hustle and a bustle this time of year. It was sad as shit. I have not been out there since lockdown in March. My favorite Olive Oil store was closed for good and there were many more vacant storefronts than ever before on main street. It was dead and the sidewalks were dead it was just a big ghost town. 
Not having ventured out I was unaware except what I saw and heard on TV or the Washington Post. Seeing my favorite town like this broke my heart and it's only going to get worse. yippee

So in that sense being out and about was sad. But we couldn't go out to dinner or go to any museums or just do most things we would do. So we ate a lot, drank a lot, laughed a helluva lot and it was very nice to me. I just felt bad that they couldn't come and see all the sights. When this shit is over they must come back!

I cooked and baked for a week and Rick made fun of me as he is prone to do all day long.
But when we returned from Middleburg yesterday everyone was saying how hungry they were. I had already made beef stew. So I took it out of the fridge in the garage, put it on the stove to reheat. Cut a big ass baguette and made a salad. Dinner done. That is why I made food ahead of time.

I made a french toast breakfast casserole out of challah bread and everyone talked about it for days so I guess that was good. Another thing you make the night before. So the day they arrived I made it and the next morning I just put it in the oven. Breakfast made!  So after all the grief he gave me after they left he told me how great an idea it was. We ate like kings. I can't eat most of what I made so it was what it was. I don't need food anyway. 

I saw a neighbor this morning walking Izzy and he said whatever pasta we made on Friday sure smelled good (our windows and doors were open it was still warm) I told him it was stuffed shells, meatballs, and the works. He said the smell was killing him. If I had some leftover I would have brought it over to him. I know when they make bacon on the grill it kills Rick and me so I understood what he was saying. 

Rick's knee is getting better slowly. He is able to get up from a sitting position with far less difficulty. He still walks like an old injured man but he's getting better. He overextended these tendons and boy his leg was swollen from his knee to his ankle. It is beginning to look normal now. So we think in time he will be okay thank goodness. They gave him pain meds so that helps him sleep so all is good right now as far as his leg is concerned. Then again, it's only Monday!

We went from 80 degrees to winter overnight. Yesterday was a high of 48. 
I think today is only going to be in the 50s-60. And the same all week with rain and dreary. I like rain and dreary. It's the 48 I don't much like. We had our air on, on Saturday. Sunday we had to turn on the heat. That was too fast of a change for my liking. In fact, I'm going to find myself a pair of socks right now!

9 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Glad you had a lot of fun with your company, Margaret. I think you both needed that. I have a friend who lives in the D.C. area and they are always hosting a lot of visitors. It's been hard since the virus changed up all our lives.

Glad Rick's knee is improving.

Mike said...

We have been back and forth with the AC and heat. Probably 4 times. The heat is on right now and looks like it might stay on for a while.

Julie H said...

plans visit to Peggy's house so she'll cook for me..

Glad his leg is feeling better. It did look like the zombie apocalyps here in the beginning but now they just have weird outside seating for eating all over here. No thanks! Too freaking hot before to eat outside, now it will be too cold.

Susan Kane said...

Heal quickly, Rick!

Last week here in S. Calif. it was 100 deg. most days. then over the wkend it plummeted to 85. Still going down. Hurray!!

Ami said...

Hope his knee heals up. Knees are my bad spot, so I can sympathize.

I like to cook, I did lasagna this weekend, sent some home with my son who came to help do some deep-down serious shed de-hoarding.

I hope we manage to get rid of not only trump but that fucking ghoul moscow mitch. And fucking lindsey graham, too.
Yes, I understand the use of capital letters, but not for those guys. They haven't earned them. :-D

Arkansas Patti said...

So glad you had such a good time with your blog buddy and family. Weren't you smart to cook ahead. That took all the stress out of preparing meals.
Sorry Washington is such a mess. Didn't realize they had fortified the WH. Nov 3rd is our goal but we will only heal in January. We HAVE to get this one right.

Olga said...

'm glad you had a good time and good food over the weekend. It is sad to see the shops that have closed -- and the yoga studio where I was going has closed on a permanent basis.
i get more anxious the closed it gets to the election. I don't know that the country can survive to much more.

Cruisin Paul said...

I'm so happy that you enjoyed yourself with your friends. Good to hear that Rick is mending properly. As far as crazy Trump, He's acting like Putin. I hope that your country doesn't have a civil war over this nut. It sounded like this morning that he's fight for staying as the president even though if he loses and I hope he does. Now that he has 3 justices in the Supreme Court, I'm worried with my relatives & friends in the US and their rights. I'm worried for you.

Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean I wish I could show you all the WH. But you can't see it anymore to have taken a photo. Sad for our county.

Mike - oh the heat is back on now.

Julie- c'mon over. WE ate like kings.
It's sad to see the ghost town when it was such a thriving city/town.

Susan - and you guys don't normally have AC, which I do not comprehend. So I hope it gets cooler for ya'll soon.

Ami, I agree with the no capital letters. I do the same. I hate to cook but I do it cuz I like to eat. And you can't have people at your house and not feed them. Especially when so few restaurants are open.

Patti- oh we do have to get this right and keep putin out of this one.

Olga - we can't survive much more.

Paul - who'd have thought someone you never met would work out so well? We had tons of fun. I can't even discuss this supreme court fiasco. I so wish I could leave this country.