Rick was reclined in his ugly chair on Thursday evening when I heard a very loud pop, crack. Like a rock hit something.
I turned to him and asked, "What the hell was that?"
"My knee." he winces.
"Oh My God does it hurt?"
"Yes, but not more than before.
"Maybe you should try standing up Rick. Try to walk. That sound that was made sounded like something big just happened."
I walked over to him to see if he needed help. He got up and limped as he was before. Great. No better, but as is our life, what now?
Friday morning he awoke to a knee swollen 2x it's normal size. He went down the steps on his buttocks. I made him go to the ER and not wait as he is prone to do. My lord that man will fight me on such things. He is so stubborn but foolishly so.
We have company arriving in a few hours. The only thing left to do is make the meatballs. That is his job. But he can do that sitting down. Everything else is as done as it's gonna get. Or he can tell me what to do. My Grandmother taught him not me. :-)
12 comments:
Wait. Rick was sitting in his recliner when his knee went? Clearly, it's the ugly chair's fault.
Honestly, though, I hope he's healed up soon. And I just realized I started my comment with "Wait"...
Yep Abby it's the ugly chairs fault. He was on a job site when he over extended his knee and when he came home he said it really hurt. So he put ice on it and was in the recliner. They think it was just overextended and those tendons are inflamed and mad at him. So he got some steriods for the inflammation and a couple of pain pills. Here is what gets me, not that you asked. I go in with severe pain, doubled over, inflammation out the ying yang and they tell me they can't give me drugs anymore so take an advil. Rick goes in on his own and charms them and gets percocets. now here is the clinger - he likes those types of pills. I don't like any kind of pill. Yet he gets them and I who would never abuse them get advil because I am woman and surely I'm just hysterical. He came out of the hospital and said men are surely treated differently than women. Their whole attitude was different from when you and I went for you. Yep, sadly I know this. But it still pisses me off.
Wow, I had no idea of the discrepancy (not having had to visit an ER, thank goodness). Now I'm pissed off too.
OUCH
I wonder if that is just an area thing. I've never noticed a difference in how we get treated. Although I have noticed the young vs old and reg insurance vs medi-cal.
Julie, they did this to me in Seattle too so it's not regional. Also they never tell Rick he needs to lose weight and he has a huge gut. I gained 25lbs and that is why I'm in pain I was told. OMG. They told me to exercise and push myself away from the table. For my hip/back pain. Oh it's not regional. I have seen things on dateline about this. Rick would never have believed it if he didn't see it with his own eyes.
So did he go to the ER? It's 1:24CDT. What's his status?
Ooh no. I am glad you got him to go to the ER but am shocked at the difference in treatment of men and women. I haven't noticed it myself but female friends have mentioned the "it's all in your head" attitude.
Enjoy your company--you are due for some fun times.
Evil damn chair. Out to the back of beyond with it!!!!!
I hope Rick is getting better and so are you Peg. Were the meatball good? Have a great weekend you two.
Cruisin Paul
Wow, Rick's knee pops so loud you wonder what the noise was??? I hope he recuperates soon!
Peg, it's still a man's world out there, see it all the time. Women are the unacknowledged hero's!
Wow, I hope by now his knee is doing better! It's amazing how quickly something like that can happen as we age.
I hope Rick is mending. Bum knees seem to go with physical labor.
Post a Comment