Monday, June 22, 2020

Gray Gray Don't Go Away

Last night I made the mistake of saying, God, I miss baseball!
My husband got in my car and it was on the MLB station on Sirius.
He heard some of the issues between MLB owners and MLB players.
The players have been asked to receive only 1/3 of their pay.
The owners of course love this idea and the players rejected it.
They are also not agreeing on the number of games to play.

My husband who only cares about baseball because of me began his tirade of reasons the players are horrible. I played devil's advocate and explained the owner's side. When this was done he said, "Damn you I don't wish to see both sides of this" as he laughed and walked away.

I see both sides and I don't see how this can be resolved.
Besides as soon as they begin to play the "injury" list will grow because this guy will get sick and give it to this guy etc. Then the fools who go to see the game will be spreading this and we'll end up like the dumb Southern states who's numbers are going through the roof.  I think we just have to cancel 2020 and be done with it. I don't want to but I think it is the smartest thing to do. So if it is truly the smartest thing to do, they won't be doing it.

As a business owner if I lost all of the revenue streams for my business I would have to cut things somewhere. You can't "layoff " a player so to cut their pay makes sense to me. I also understand that if my former company tried to make my contract null and void and pay me whatever the hell they wanted to would not make me happy. So I see both sides.
There are other terms as well but that is the biggest along with the number of games following at number 2.

Rick had a very nice contract when he was the Vice President of Human Resources. I asked if his former boss had a financial struggle, yet he is still beyond wealthy if you would accept receiving only a 1/3 of your pay to help offset the company to help them out. Rick laughed and said, hell no, but added, if it is between that and losing my job I'd hang in there until I found another one.
Alright, I get that.
I then asked him," what if your contract says you can't go elsewhere for 5 more years?"
He said he'd be pissed. So you see why they may not like their big pay cut?
All I got from him was  'damn it, Margaret.'
Then I got his side, which I agree with 100%. That is the issue for me. I see both sides, management and players, and I don't see this coming around to a resolution. Something has to give. I wish it were Covid-19.
If it were me I don't know that I would play at all for fear of getting sick. But I also think I'd take the pay cut since you know the owners are losing buckets of money right now you can't possibly NOT understand their point of view. TV money, concession money, ticket sales, merchandise, etc. I am sure their money coming in helps with the money going out. You can't buy a player for 17million and not have some monies coming in or there may be fewer teams after this.

2020 has just been the worst year. I always say that even years are my worse. Odd years work out better for me in my lifetime except 1969. (mom died)
So I am wishing for a quick end to this year! I just want it over. A new fresh start and hopefully a vaccine or something to stop this bugger.

But in the meantime, I am working as is Rick.
We are not busy as normal but it's enough to keep the lights on.
It is very tight. It can be scary. But it could be worse we just keep telling ourselves. There are people out there who can't feed their children. So this has to be put into perspective.
Not that I don't wish to whine from time to time but overall this has been stressful but not as stressful as some things that have occurred in our lives.

On an upbeat note, I did get a hair cut. That felt great. No more tucking my hair behind my ears. No more wearing my baseball cap.  I had to defend my right to let my color grow out. She was not happy. I told her, "Look if I hate being all gray then I'll go back to coloring it but right now I want it all gray"

There is this great colorist I follow on Instagram. Jack Martin is his name.
(yes I follow a great many hair stylists because I love that shit) 
If you have gray roots and you wish to go all white he is the man. He does fabulous work. He is in a little shop in Irvine. In a plaza no less. But his Instagrams have made him famous as well as the great work he does.  So now celebrities are going to him. I saw him first!
He just did Sharon Osborne and Jane Fonda's color. I admit I don't care for Sharon's but if she likes it that is all that matters. Jane is over 80 for Pete's sake so let her be gray!! She rocks the messy spikey do. Is there anything that woman can't do? She is just gorgeous.

If I could get these ingredients I'd do it myself. I think the reason my stylist is putting off doing this for me is she has never done it before. Once your hair goes gray you can't just let it be. It can get a flat looking color to it, it can yellow. Lots of reasons why you'd still have upkeep if you are so inclined...and I am. So while she won't be getting $200 every 5 weeks from me I will still need it cut and some other things randomly for upkeep. She is not losing me entirely. She offered to do this for me as her guinea pig.  I said sure. Look, just do it!!  Like I said I'd buy all the things needed if I could. However, I am no longer a licensed professional so I can't. I wanted to show you some of the before and afters side by side but it won't allow me to copy and paste them and I certainly understand why. If you have Instagram here are a few links.



Gorgeous right? We will see if I can pull this off. The sooner it's all white the better. 

Would you do it if you could? Or will you color your hair until the very end? My step mom used to joke about me coloring my hair and said not to be like my Aunt Filomena who had black hair in her coffin. It was hideous, but if she didn't use a box it would have looked fine was always my reply. (she was 85 at her time of passing)
I figure if I hate it, I can always dye it again right?
Then again, everyone may think I am Rick's mother and he is actually older than me.
He has a salt and pepper beard, mostly salt. But his hair is still brown with just a few strands of gray on the top. I say go gray Rick, the top doesn't have a lot of hair so any color it is he and I should be thankful! 

And if you are on Instagram and not following Celeste Barber then you are missing some funny schtick. She makes me smile daily. I need her in my life.

19 comments:

Julie H said...

One of my friends did that with the gray dye. I think it would have looked better on her if she would have just cut it short first. That guy probably has bit more talent than her hair dresser lol.

Linda said...

I’m totally ok with it natural. It’s still brown streaked with gray and honestly I just don’t care.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie,oh I can't do gray dye. But I'd love the rest of my brown removed professionally like he does.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Linda, those are the exact words I used to my hairdresser. I just don't care each time she told me I'd look old. I am old.😁

Mike said...

This year is not much different than the year the players went on strike. Just cancel it.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I would so totally do that ~ and I've been thinking about it too. Not sure my hairdresser is that good with color, but hey! I'm gonna take one of those photos and ask....Thanks Peg! I think you should go for it. Life is short, right? Plus, with this stupid Covid thing, it's time to make a change.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Y, thanks for the encouragement. Except for Rick, everyone is telling me not to do this.But I have never listened to everyone. I always want to but I hear the beat of my own drum. Gotten me in trouble when I was a kid, so I haven't learned😉

Ami said...

I'm not planning to dye mine ever, but I haven't reached the point of needing to do so. Still mostly brown, but it's a light brown and hides the gray really well.

But letting it grow for over 100 days? I would prefer to NEVER have to do that again. :-D

I think your hair will probably look great and that the people who love you better not damn mention your hair anyway!!!!
:-D

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami i understand you 100 day long hair. My last haircut was late February until last Thursday. It was wonderful.

Abby said...

Ooh, I look forward to YOUR before and afters. I had no idea of the cost and time it takes to transition to grey. One instagram post said he worked for 7 hours on one woman's hair!
I plan to just let mine ride. Have never colored it, mostly because, for whatever reason, my hair is still mostly dark. I remember my grandma having to keep her home dye jobs up to date, and I decided then that I was too lazy.

Cruisin Paul said...


2020 has just been the worst year so far but things seem to be getting better. It has to! I'm praying that life will change. Have a great Tuesday Peg.

Cruiin Paul

Arkansas Patti said...

I'm someone who sees both sides also. This year is probably lost for baseball and it breaks my heart. I did hear that Jeter isn't taking any salary this year. Thought that was right nice of him.
As for going grey or white, I did it a long time ago and am happy with it. I am two toned however. White in the front and grey in the back. I look better coming than going. Think you will love it.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, yes 7-10 hours. You have to use a color remover, then bleach the rest and it goes on and on. It is very expensive to do as you can imagine. But I still want it so when she said she had never done it, if I would be her guinea pig for photos etc and she wouldn't charge me I was like - YEAH.
I just don't want this high maintenance anymore!

Paul - from your mouth to God's ears!

Patti - I can't say that. No matter the color of my hair I look better walking away :-)
I keep hearing this 60 game shit. My team takes that long to get warmed up. It should just be canceled and that is that for 2020. We missed a year of busting the Astro's chops. That saddens me a bit. (bad Margaret)

Olga said...

I am the natural all the way type. I quite like my hair color. The guy that cuts my hair is actually best known for coloring but he gave up on suggesting "lowlights" years ago but there have been a couple of times when I am walking out that another customer will compliment my hair and he totally takes credit and says "thank you." I play along and add that Joseph always does such an amazing job. (Then I whisper to him that was his tip! Seems only fair.)

Silver in AZ said...

Letting my natural silver/white/gray grow out was one of the very best things I've ever done! DO IT!

I went about 10 weeks, then I got antsy and got a pixie cut and that made the whole process faster. It was completely grown out by 10 months. It takes a lot longer if you keep your hair long.

Sun (and/or chlorine) yellow it. Keep it covered in the sun. Use a purple shampoo every week or two. That helps keep it whiter/less brassy.

You will be SO happy once it's all done!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga that is funny!! :-)

Silver - My hair is a short cut. Long on top short everywhere else. I posted a roll out of bed hair photo on April 17th when I had shingles on my eye. The brown is 1/2 way gone. Another 2 months and the tips will be cut and it will be gone. I do use purple shampoo on the white that frames my face. I also use a brassy remover quarterly. It does indeed help. I don't always keep my hair covered if on the boat and playing in the water so there is a product on the market called OOPS. it will remove all that yellow in 20 minutes.
It is awesome. Thank you and I'm glad you never looked back!! I hope to say the same.

Ami said...

You need a tshirt that says OPENLY GRAY.
Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Barbara said...

He does do beautiful work. I'd even let my hair grow long if it would look that good. I'm following him too now. I like my hair enough not to spend money but if that colorist was near I'd have a hard time resisting.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami, great one!!🤣


Barbara, I beg,borrow, and steal to have him do this for me.