Saturday, June 13, 2020

Dating Stories of Rick

I search this blog and didn't see these.
I swore I've told you at least one, perhaps both so lets view this as a flashback Friday.
Here are my repeats...

Rick and I met for dinner and talked about our weeks. I was living in Ohio and when I came to town for either business or family we always got together.
I was sharing my tales of woe in the dating field and he told me he had just met this woman named Leslie.

Rick was working and he went into this business and a mail woman came in. She flirted with Rick. 
She left and Rick said to the man something about her great legs. She was tan and wearing shorts in her mail uniform. Rick said that the man who owned this shop told him her name and said she's single.  Rick left his number and said tell her to call me sometime.

Leslie called him. I knew Leslie and said oh my god she is a husband hunter. I told him the story with her and my friend Michael and how she used to hit on my ex-husband every time we went into the bank where she worked at the time.  Yes, in a small town this is what happens.

Rick and Leslie made a date for the following week. I told him that he better keep me posted because this woman was a grade-A manipulator be careful. Rick poo-pooed me as if I was crazy. 
I knew he'd find out one way or another that I was not the crazy one. 
I should have shared what happened with her and Michael but I didn't. Looking back I don't' think that would have stopped crazy Rick from dating her.

I go back to my home in Ohio. I had several trips for work out of state and across the country. Two weeks later Rick and I catch up. I was coming to town because of a family event and Rick and I made plans to get together.

I met Rick at his apartment. We sat in his sunroom with a cocktail and he told me his tale. I laughed through it all.  His date went down like this.

She called Rick and after they talked for a bit he asked her out.
They decided to do dinner and possibly a movie etc. 
Dinner he said was fine. The conversation was easy. She was very touchy-feely and he was okay with that. They stopped at a wine bar and had some drinks. She couldn't keep her hands off him and he was enjoying it.  He takes her home and she is all over him in the car. He said, "Margaret I never had to worry about making the first move, she was all over me and aggressive."  I said, "And you hated that right?"  
We both laughed.
After some necking (what a weird word) he went home.
They made plans for 2 days later.

Rick picks her up and she is a bit more aloof.  
Hmmm....he noticed but let it go.
They had a fun casual date that included a day at the beach, dinner at a fun rib joint, then they went to a comedy club.
Then when he takes her home he tried to kiss her. 
She pushed him away forcibly and said, "I take my kissing seriously"
He was dumbfounded. 

Now I know Rick and the fact that he said nothing in response to that stupid statement floors me to this day. He kept saying, "I was shocked, she had her tongue down my throat a few days earlier what the hell?
Of course, as he is telling me this I immediately say, " and you didn't say, "So I guess a blow job is totally out of the question then"
He burst out laughing. He said, "God why aren't you on all my dates to help me?"
I just shook my head.  I said, "she was playing you, Richard."
He asked how.

I had to explain that if that line threw you off a bit but you liked what she gave you the first night, you'd hang in there for more. If that thew you off to the point of you didn't want to see her again, she knew you weren't a keeper for her.
So basically the wench is playing games.  No question about it, she was playing you.  What did you do? Fall for the bait?  It's a trap no other way to view it.
He said that he said nothing and said good night and I had no plans to see her again.  And he didn't see her again. She tried, she called him and he told her he wasn't in to game playing and that was that. She never had a rebuttable just said, Okay.  I bet she never did that shit again.

One of my all-time favorites I swore I wrote about but here it is again.
This girl's name was Gretchen. She was a very tall pretty woman as were all the women he dated.
(he lost his eyesight once he met me.:-)

I was with a girlfriend and as we were leaving our favorite haunt I saw Rick sit down at the bar alone. I went over to say hello. We hugged, chatted for a few minutes and I left.  He had just gotten there after a long day of work and just wanted a couple of drinks and to go home.  
Gretchen sits on the stool next to Rick. She begins talking to him and asks if she can buy him a drink. Of course, he says yes. 
Gretchen after a few drinks says to Rick, will you take me home?
Rick says sure. As they are walking to his car he asks where she lives.
She says, "Oh no, take me to your house" as she grabs his arm.
The bubble over Rick's head says, "oooh Ricky gonna git some!"

They get to Rick's place and she goes into the bathroom. 
He puts on music. Opens a bottle of wine, lights candles. (even typing this makes me laugh at how cheesy it is )  
She comes out of the bathroom and asks if he has any clothes she can wear that is more comfortable. (ok this is where I would say, go home but God love this 31-year-old fool he does not) 

Rick gives her a pair of shorts and a T-shirt he really liked. 
They go into the living room and they have some wine, they chat, then she asks, "Will you help me do my sit-ups?"  
Rick said, "sit-ups?" 
She tells him she lost a lot of weight and she keeps it down by 100 sit-ups every night. Again she asks, "Will you hold my ankles?"

Okay, this is where I couldn't stop laughing. I know him well enough to know what was going through his mind when one asks if you will hold my ankles.  I asked him, "did you really think she wanted to do sit-ups?"  
He responded with a "HELL NO" but I WAS WRONG!!!
I can't tell you how much I laughed while he was telling me this part of his story.

So Rick held her ankles while she did 100 friggin' sit-ups and then she stands up and says, "Let's go to bed" She heads to the bedroom while Rick turns off lights, blows out candles, turns off the music, and runs after her. He gets in bed and she is snoring like a trucker - that fast.
I asked, "You don't think she was faking it?"
No, because I tried to touch her and she didn't flinch.
I asked what he did then? He said, "I gave up and tried to sleep through the trucker noise."
But Margaret why would she do this? Ask to come home with me and then behave this way like I'm her brother?
I told him I bet she couldn't go home for some reason.

But in all seriousness for a moment what woman would risk this? She did not know who she was going home with. No cell phones. Rick could have hurt her and no one would have known where she was. She could have been raped or murdered. A Ted Bundy thing you know? She is damn lucky he is a good guy, just a dumb one when it comes to women.

Anyway, in the morning she got up and said, "Please take me home"
He took her home and never said a word about the evening. 
(Oh I would have!). 
He asked for his shirt back but he never got it. 

I mean is that weird or what? It only happens to Rick.
I told him men must love me I don't make them guess. 
He said, "Yes that would be refreshing and you're not certifiable as some of these chicks are" 
Gee, you always go for vacuous blondes then you wonder why it's not working. I see it as your fault.  He proclaimed he did not go looking for crazy it just happens to him.  Okay, keep thinking that Rick.  What are you putting out there to attract crazy? I asked him. He said, "nothing, they just love me"  
I just shake my head and make fun of him. 
God love this fool.

Oh, there are many with Rick. I just happen to love these two best.
But he was always good on advice for me and my dating fiascos.
I was dating this fireman when living in Cleveland. It was casual and fun.
Then he wanted me to meet some family. Ooh no, no, not ready for that.
Besides, I sure didn't like him "like that"
But what he said bothered me. He said, "Just keep it down when you meet them," I said what does that mean? He said, " well you can get animated and stuff like that. You may want to be quieter, don't talk."  
I know I must have looked like a wide-eyed shocked individual at that point. I said nothing for a minute because I knew my anger was going to let go if I spoke.  
Did I want to let my anger show? Yes, I decided I did. 
I told him if I have to change who I am for your family I think it best I don't go. why would you invite me if I am embarrassing to you?  He went on to tell me that wasn't what he meant. The more he spoke the more he dug this hole.  
I said, "Look if you don't like my personality no big deal. I get that not everyone is someone's cup of tea. 
But I won't change for you or your family. It would have been one thing to tell me your grandmother is there and to be toned down. Or if you said to me, you can be an extrovert and it may be too much for them at first. But You are asking me to be silent (has he met me?) you don't' want me to laugh because it's too big, don't make small talk unless spoken to, and the clincher, don't be too friendly as I tend to be? I am not a Stepford wife.
Before he could answer I asked him to leave.  I told him I had to think about this. 
He left. 

I called Rick and shared my rant. I asked for his opinion. I asked if he thought I was out of line. I told Rick if Jon didn't like me that is A-okay everyone has the right to make a choice. But to say he does like me and he wants me to meet this family yet he wants me to behave or act a certain way. It reminded me of the Off-Broadway Musical, " I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change."
Rick asked if I was sure I wanted his opinion about this. I did indeed. 
Rick asked if this was a religious thing about his family? Was it about their beliefs? Or just don't be you? I told him that I asked and basically just don't be me.  'Heaven forbid don't be funny' was an exact quote.   
You know I can sense the room. I'm an adult and know when to be quiet, or introverted, etc. This was hurtful as well as offensive.

Rick told me my humor is who I was. He went on, "I can see him asking you not to swear like a sailor as you do around his family but you are smart enough to know that without being told. But to be quiet, no laughing and heaven forbid don't be outgoing and animated when that is your core is a red flag Margaret...run!"  
Then Rick added, "I told you I didn't like him when I met him. I finally get to say, I told you so", instead of the other way around for a nice change.

Rick was most proud of himself with that last line. 
I thanked him because that made me sure I was not seeing Jon anymore. Jon had the right to be with someone who won't embarrass him so while I was a bit hurt it wasn't because of having to behave a certain way with his family but to me, it said he was embarrassed by me and just didn't like me. 
Rick and I chatted a bit, got caught up and I told him I had to call Jon. 

I called him and said I thought it best we do not see one another anymore like girlfriend boyfriend. I explained. He tried to tell me I was being hysterical over something so minor. You just have to show up on my arm and be quiet that's it.  I said okay I'm hysterical. 
Then you should find a good fit for you who isn't hysterical, a giggler, who isn't talkative or outgoing. The more he spoke the more it became very apparent that HE wanted me to be those things. That too is fine and I don't mind compromise but this guy was not my forever guy he was a casual dating guy so I wasn't compromising here.  I wished him happiness and good life and I hung up.  I don't regret it for a minute. 
He has the right to like who he likes and I have the same right.  
I was like Popeye with a casual guy, I yam what I yam.

Rick called me later that day and asked how it went. I shared. He kept saying, "Good for you.  Don't ever change for a man. Be you, someone will appreciate you for you. Just hang in there Margaret." I was 31 and thought it would never happen. Oh, silly ole Margaret.

Who'd have thought it'd be him that would appreciate me?
If you had told me that week I'd end up with Rick I would have laughed so hard I'd pee myself. Him too. Look where the wind took us? 😜

11 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

So you and Rick ended up together by default? Just a joke. I think it's great that two friends ended up as lovers and life-partners.

I love that Gretchen story. I can't imagine doing what she did...so dangerous!

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I so enjoyed reading the dating stories you two have! I've had the bad and the OK, but never had the great.....most times that was my fault :-D

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

EXACTLY Jean!! We gave up 😃
Also agree with how scary that scenario with Gretchen was.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

ITS, I think I've had 1 great 1st date. He became my friend after we dated awhile. We both knew we were not pur forever people but we really liked each other so we became friends. He, Eddie, was a dear dear friend until he died. I loved his wife as well.He always told me I'd end up with Rick because he saw the way he looked at me. I would just laugh because there was no way in hell I was marrying Rick and I knew Rick felt the same.

Arkansas Patti said...

Amazing relationship you and Rick had. True friends and a go to date rater. Some day you will have to tell us how that all changed and you saw him as your life partner. If you have all ready, give us the link.

bluzdude said...

I have a similar story to Rick's in that I always found myself with needy women whose numerous problems I felt obligated to solve. Not that I was looking for that type, they just kept finding me. And I'd feel like I had to be the White Knight.

That's one of the reasons I married Sweetpea. She didn't "need" me or any man to fix her or her life. We just happened to be what the other one wanted.

Ami said...

I had more than one person tell me that I'd be 'missing out' by getting married so young.

Yep, I missed out on a lot. :-D

I can't even imagine what Gretchen was thinking. Seriously.

Cruisin Paul said...

Rick is my type of guy. Peg, I bet you love the guy and he loves you. Enough said. See ya my friend.

Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bluzdude, I'm glad Sweetpea and you found one another! It's fun with no drama isn't it?

Patti, I will look for that link. Bascially if you watched When Harry Met Sally it is exactly how our life went down.
It's "our" movie.

Ami, oh I would have missed too much if I was married young. I was and thankfully divorced. I had a wonderful time. I flew for free, I traveled and got to experience so much before I was settled. Don't forget I did not wish to have children so there was no hurry for me. Gretchen was lucky she wasn't raped is what I think! Or worse.

Paul, Thank you!!

Mary said...

Yes I’d love to know when and after how long you two decided if was more than friendship. Who brought it up first.
Wow what a story that must be!

Julie H said...

I love that you two were such great friends before you got married :)