Have any of you watched The Genetic Detective?
I have watched other shows with CeCe Moore. I am aware of her because it was about people finding their birth families which as you know Rick tried to do for some time. So that made us aware of her.
She is an interesting character for sure. Actress, model, and then genealogy expert. Quite an interesting trail.
If you aren't aware of her she is THE genealogy expert. She has moved her focus from people finding lost family members to helping detectives solve cold cases across the country. Maybe you've seen her Ted Talks.
It honestly floors me each time how she comes up with the person who did the crime. I admit while I watch this at times I have had to pause and ask Rick if he understood that? Sometimes neither of us knows what she is talking about. I never have a clue to what 2nd cousin removed is.
I also never knew that boys get their X chromosome from mom never from Dad.
Don't laugh at me now! I guess I slept through that part of my science class.
While I am neither smart enough or patient enough to do all that needs to be done in this detective work I am still fascinated by it.
Hell, I got bored doing my own family tree so I know I couldn't do this kind of work but so happy someone does!
The people she finds in these cold cases is from doing a family tree backward.
Another issue was back in the '80s and 90s they needed a huge sample of DNA to retrieve anything of quality. Technology, as it does, moves forward and now they only need a small sample which is great for older cases.
A company locally (well local to me anyway) in Reston VA called Parabon NanoLabs works with police and CeCe and they get it done. All of these pieces are quite impressive to me. Cece, Detectives, and Parabon Labs can now go back to these cold cases where they were originally told they didn't have enough DNA to find the killer. She found the killer in 1 hr that was a 30-year-old cold case. Needless to say that mom was thrilled that the murderer of her daughter was finally found and rightfully punished.
Not much on regular TV these days of interest to me so this one stood out. Then when I saw it was CeCe I had to watch.
I love Dateline and 48 hours so this fits into my wheelhouse.
Have you seen this yet?
19 comments:
I have not seen this show nor even heard of it before now. Thanks! Gonna check it out. Now, off to google a Ted Talk :)
It sounds like something I would like even tho I know I won't watch it. I've been a fan of Finding Your Roots, Who Do You Think You Are and Long Lost Family. I like cold case shows but again, I have very little patience for sitting at my computer watching tv shows or movies. We have one tv and it is in the living room and my husband watches what he likes there. (I have nowhere to sit in the living room and my husband and I don't like the same shows...)
If a child got their dad's X-chromosome, they'd be a girl. (what does mom have to offer except x's?) No way around it.
Regarding that genealogy detective show - sounds like something to check out. I'll be searching for it tonight.
I'm going to have to take a look.
Happy weekend my friend.
Yep and I wish she could figure out my tree!! Adopted grand's on both sides!
Aby, it's on ABC on Tuesdays at 10p.
Brian - true. I remember learning if it's a girl it's cuz of dad. So looks like my dad did all the work since he had 5 daughters. Mom did all the work the rest of the time. :-)
Linda, thanks!
April - there are people at ancestry.com who will do them for you for a fee of course. Ever try that? It may help.
It's amazing how fast they can solve these cold cases by just going through them and looking at the DNA now. Too bad there isn't more man power to just pull them all out and get them done!
That show is on regular TV?
I've heard about the show before but have never seen it. I do a lot of reading at 23 & Me and have been educated a lot about out DNA and genes in recent years. Very interesting.
I haven't seen or heard of it but I am not a Dateline aficionado -- which leaves me out of a lot of conversations with family and friends.
Olga, I may have misunderstood you but this is not on dateline.so if you watch, your family will be out of the loop.
I'll be looking it up for sure. Hadn't heard about it.
https://abc.com/shows/the-genetic-detective/episode-guide/season-01
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CeCe_Moore (64 cases solved)
I do watch this and have it set to record. I admit that I get lost as she climbs the tree backwards but love how she can track down the creep and then as the police follow him to get an actual DNA from a cigarette butt or coke bottle. Those tragic cold cases are finally solved.
Oh Patti I am thrilled to know I am not the only one who gets lost in the backwards family tree she does. But it's fun to see them get these creeps after all these years. That last one was a sick puppy but also appeared to be mentally challenged. Odd man.
I loved researching my family tree and ended up going back 7 generations or so. But, as so many people do, I hit a brick wall and couldn't find out any more of the line I was interested in. We dropped our subscription to Ancestry.com so I don't do much searching any more. The Latter Day Saints have a free Internet search web site called familysearch.org. You might have some fun with it. As for relationships, being removed means it's a generation or more before yours. For example your dad's 1st cousin is your first cousin, too, but is once removed. The web site I gave has a free cousins chart here: https://www.familysearch.org/blog/en/cousin-chart/
I enjoy Genetic Detective, too and have watched CeCe on other shows. She's really good at what she does. It takes a lot of research to track down people like she does. There's more to it than just the basic family tree.
Yep I have - a teenager that was on CBS news show on a Saturday morning actually looked into it but he didn't have results (gave my money back!). LOL
Oh April that's horrible. What was the reason? Have you gone to her facebook page to see if she still will do this aside from her detective work? CeCe Moore is her name.
Peg, I think I just struggled so with mine. The names were spelled differently and then I'd see a name that shouldn't be there in the census. I came to realize that being from another country when the census was done they did the best they could with the spelling because most of my relatives barely spoke English. My grandmother is Rose, Rosa and sometimes Roselyn. She was never a Roselyn but the rest of the family names matched. I get so frustrated and admittedly bored that I just gave up. Also, my Grandmother was married in Italy and had a life and children. She ran away to America with another man with her children. She used the other man's name but she in fact was not legally that name. So I had to look at all avenues. And thank you for explaining a cousin once removed. I would have called that cousin a 2nd cousin but apparently not.
I don't know a lot about DNA and geneology. There is so much to learn and my brain is 75% full with songs from the 1970s. I do love it when they use DNA to find cold case killers. I wish everyone would volunteer to register but then the neer-do-wells would complain about their rights being violated. Maybe they are right and I am just too lazy to commit a crime.
Post a Comment