Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Baseball and Insomnia

You all know that since I was a kid I live and die for baseball.
I watched MLB last evening and honestly these rules are so crazy for the 60 game season. I wish they would have just canceled it. I think we will see a huge spike in cases throughout baseball.

I read where a player on the Red Sox isn't too thrilled to be playing but he has no "reason" per the Red Sox to not play. Their manager isn't thrilled either citing his age etc but he has to play.
Ryan Zimmerman from the Washington Nationals has chosen to sit out the rest of the year. Due to his new baby, family health issues, he fears it is too risky to play for him. I applaud him. But does he take a cut in his pay for this? I would bet he does. He and a co-worker, Joe Ross I believe, both chose to sit out the season and he thanked the Nationals for allowing him too.
I am guessing they are allowed to opt-out if they have good reasons. I think the friggin' pandemic is reason enough but apparently not. Those playing that don't want to feel they have to and that's a bit scary to me.

I believe there were 4 so far in total. 2 of the nationals and 1 from the Rockies and 1 from the Diamondbacks. These are 4 smart guys if you ask me.

Some of the rules for this 60 game sprint makes me giggle.
No spitting.
Now look, I understand that ruling completely. But it's like asking a hockey player to play nice and not fight. Spitting in baseball is a staple like fighting in hockey. Players can't spit, can't lick their fingers, no grabbing your fellow teammate when he hits a grand slam or homerun as they do around the home plate. Oh, there are a plethora of rules, all crazy sounding but I get the need.
Personally, I just don't think they should play ball.
I also think out of habit a lot of these will be broken. It will be difficult I am certain.

There is no chance in hell my team can win this 60 game sprint. My team just gets warmed up at 60 games so we're screwed. The Marlins have a team of big linebacker looking, fit new men. The new pitchers they just got aren't so small. I was watching some MLB TV and they showcased them. As well as their farm team that sounds and is beginning to look like it's being built right from the George Steinbrenner playbook. I think Jeter is copying his old boss and that ain't a bad thing for him. Anyway, my TV time showing these guys - Oh my are these big strappin' boys. Enough to make you want to watch baseball ladies.
I know, I know I like 'em big like that so I am enjoying it.
Remember when baseball players ate and drank and then played ball like Babe Ruth? You could be fat and still play.  Those days are long gone.
My ex played minor league ball and he worked on his forearm strength and things like that but he was tall and lean. Never in all those years did I see him do a lot of working out the way they do today with arms bigger than my thighs.
He was long and lean and had that great stretch for first base kind of long and lean look. Today he'd be called skinny and short being only 6'0"

Will I be watching? Oh yes, I will.
I watched an old game the other night with my insomnia from 2004.
Not as much fun when you know who is going to win.

And speaking of watching weird-ass things at 2am.
I am hooked on Lennox Hill.  It is on Netflix.
It's about the hospital and you watch people come into the ER, you get to know that resident or doctor. A resident you get to know that is pregnant and is an OB/GYN and delivers babies. A team on the Neurosurgery is the main focus. Brain tumors and spine issues etc. Some are hard to watch but for some reason, I am digging it.  Those dying and their requests are gut-wrenching so the last one I watched I cried like a baby. Most are uplifting though.  Have any of you seen this?

12 comments:

Susan said...

Yes! Watched Lennox Hill daily....until it ended.
Susan

Silver in AZ said...

Golf has been back for three weeks now, and every week, several more golfers or their caddies come down with it. No one should be playing any professional sports now.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Susan, if I get a brain tumor Dr. Langer is who I'm gonna call. :-) I watched a show like this on ABC years ago called Hopkins 24/7. I found a doctor there who finally saved me and did my surgery. While watching this I said to my husband, I think this guy could do it. Sure enough :-)
Thankfully not a brain tumor.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Silver, no they shouldn't be but you live in a state that believes Mango Mussolini and won't wear masks or don't believe it's real. Hence why it's still going on.

Olga said...

I know Don watches old baseball games late at night too. I sleep.
I have started watching The Haunting of Hill Mansion on Netflix so it is kind of a wonder I can sleep through the night. I go to bed with my heart pounding.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, that sounds like a scary movie. I don't do scary movies especially before bed. You're brave.

Mike said...

They are talking about making masks mandatory in St. Louis City and County but won't pull the trigger. Sheesh! I wonder how many players it will take getting sick to shut things down?

Mr. Shife said...

Netflix keeps telling me to watch Lennox Hill but I need to finish season 3 of Dark first. I hope they can have some sort of a baseball season as I think a lot of us would welcome the distraction.

Irene Blanck said...

I LOVED Lennox Hill. I was so glad that they did another episode on COVID. And yes, the brain docs seem really dedicated to their patients - down to earth and caring.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, there will be a lot of sick baseball players!!

Mr. Shife - you don't need to listen to Netflix. :-)

Irene - I have not seen the covid episode. I'm on 7 now. LIfe keeps interrupting me.

Arkansas Patti said...

Don't have Netflix so haven't seen Lennox Hill but it sounds like my kind of show.
Thanks for the update on the Marlins. When I cancelled MLB Extra Innings, I lost MLB Network so I am behind. I will sign up again when we start playing. I'm delighted the Marlins are showing promise. Some of the new rules sound uncomfortable for the players. Not spit?? Wonder if they can still grab their crotch?
Thanks for Centerfield. My favorite baseball song and enjoyed seeing the video again. Lots of old favorites in there.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You're welcome Patti. Yep your Marlins are looking good. AND Big. I can't imagine that these habits will be easy to break. To watch without a crowd is going to be weird. If only they would ban Joe Buck from announcing I could really enjoy 60 games. :-) I too canceled extra innings but may get it again. I used to get my games on a NYC station but my carrier no longer carries that network so I have to do Xtra Innings now.