Monday, February 3, 2020

Golden Girls?

I never think of myself as old as the Golden Girls. But I suppose when that show started they were all supposed to be 50 somethings living together. They always seemed so much older to me than 50. The clothing and hair were older, matronly, not like a 50 yr old today. None of my friends look as old as The Golden Girls. Must be the clothes, who knows. So when this meme was everywhere today it made me chuckle.

I am not a Golden Girl in my mind, but I am certainly no JLO either!
Whatever is in between the two is where I sit. Ah who am I kidding, I'm just being delusional. 😛


14 comments:

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

I don't think Golden Girls were in their 50s.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

JC spends a lot of time and money on her body, hair and face to keep looking so young and physically fit. She's not your typical 50 old today.

Julie H said...

I'm going to be 46 on Saturday. I don't feel close to Blanche or J Lo lol.

Kay said...

I just dropped by from Olga’s blog.
I didn’t know the Golden Girls were in their 50s. I always thought they were in their 60s. Times have sure changed.

Susan Kane said...

Boy, did the Golden Girls look so old! The styles--were they that bad?

JLo looks amazing, from head to crotch to toe. Amazing.

Linda dev said...

I thought they both did a great job. It may not be my cup o tea but you cannot deny they put on a super show.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

A Whole Lot - here is from the web - 53 years old
Though it is widely believed that Blanche's age is never actually revealed, in The Golden Girls: Mother's Day (1988), it is admitted in a flashback that Blanche was 17 in 1949. That would make her 53 years old when the series began in 1985 and 60 when it ended in 1992.
www.imdb.com

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, I think she is closer to todays 50 yr olds than Golden Girls. While my girlfriends at age 50 are adorable, none have her money to continue to reverse aging.

Kay - Hi Kay I know I always thought they were late 60's.

Susan it had to be the matronly clothes they were all I can think of and yes, she does look amazing head to toe.

Linda - agreed. I don't consider what they did much more than aerobics but it was entertaining. Singing? Eh! But entertaining.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, me neither and I'm older than Blanche was back then. God, I hope I don't look that awful. Probably worse. HA HA
I've never looked like JLO so there is that. :-)

Abby said...

HA! I didn't see the meme, but so true :)
The Golden Girls were in their 50's? Oh gawd, no. I don't wanna be golden.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, you are not my dear! Betty was only 56 when she was playing the part. I am 63. I hope I don't look as old as she does but then again as I said I could be very delusional.
I think it was the clothes. Besides, yesterday I walked 3 miles, I washed my car, worked 12 hrs and baked cookies and pastries for a friend. I don't have time to be an old lady. I think back in the day when you were older you didn't do much. You ride bikes. You move. You work. Moving keeps you younger in my not so important opinion. :-) I

Olga said...

Last summer my 12 year old grandson went to one of my craft circle meetings. One on is is in 50's, one in late 90"s and six in our 70's. As we were leaving, pulling out of the driveway he said, "I feel like I just spent a morning with the Golden Girls." I tried not to be amused but I had to laugh because I could see what he meant for sure.

Arkansas Patti said...

I was in my 50's when the Golden Girls surfaced and I thought they looked older then. JLO makes today's 40 year old look raggedy.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, I understand that as well. Too funny.

Patti - yes I have never looked as good as JLO - EVER. Sophia was supposed to be only 80. She seemed older too.
But if I look at photos of my grandmother she looked double her age of 45. so maybe as each generation goes through life we look a bit better. do you know that all of them had plastic surgery? Poor Bea not sure it helped her. But the other 2 talked about it. So we are just fine as we are. Besides we don't want to give JLO competition. LOL