It's a federal holiday.
That means everyone is off today but me and others in the construction industry.
But it also means we are dead in the office.
I find it amusing that when the world is off work they don't call us as much as when they are sitting in their office not working and they call us.
That just makes me giggle on the productivity of the American worker.
Also this was a long weekend for everyone. A great many people are traveling.
I had several cancellations for Saturday. A young woman called and said she and her husband had just realized they had Monday off so they wanted to go out of town for the weekend. No problem, we scheduled it on a day she will have to be in the office and take time off work. Which is what she didn't want to do to begin with and whined and begged for a Saturday. Rick had 3 estimates on Saturday. We do not normally work weekends but sometimes it is required. Since it was just estimates it was just drive time so I scheduled 3 of them for the morning. All 3 canceled because they realized it was a long weekend. So they will be seen over this and next week during work hours. So Rick ended up just having to work around the house. I am not sure he found that much better.
Remember that walk in closet I wanted to purge?
Well we did and it still looks full - how sad is that?
A lot of it is Xmas stuff. I am thinking of giving it all away.
We just don't bother to do all that decorating because no one comes to our home for the holidays. I have put it all up and then the holiday is over and have to take it all down.
We spend holidays with family up north or we are here alone and I just don't care anymore for all the fuss. I know, I know, you all are cringing to think that my banister isn't decked in garland or a tree is not up or the wreath isn't on the door. The table scape is neutral and not in green and red festive toppers and table clothes. Nope, all done with it, but yet I am finding it so difficult to toss it all. Why is that? Especially the old antique bulbs from our mothers etc.
We found some fun things that we had forgotten about. Oh my gosh we found a plaque thanking us for being outstanding volunteers at the Issaquah Salmon Days Festival.
That began our reminiscing about that weekend. Then we found a box of VCR tapes.
We have not had a VCR in about 15 years. So now my work begins to have them made into DVDs. One had written on it, Seattle 1995. Have no idea what is on that but can't wait to see it. We were living there at the time so maybe it's about our first few months there.
Also there was one marked Niagara camping 1987/1988.
There were a good many of these that I so want to see again. That was a fun find.
I see a trip to Costco to see how many I can afford to do at one time.
Then all these cassette tapes. What would I do with all these cassette tapes?
I have an old car that does have a tape player but I don't think I'd ever play them.
The majority of them are when I got divorced.
Splitting up our music and 400 albums was the hardest part of the divorce in regards to "stuff" We sat on the floor and said, "Mine, Yours," and when we both wanted something it went in a different pile. So many of the albums I wanted and lost the battle he made tapes of for me. HA. This was 1983. So I guess we thought that would last.
Anyone need a cassette tape of The Guess Who, George Thorogood? Allman Brothers? Yes if you rattle off the 70's and early 80's I have it in album or cassette form and listen to none of it now unless on my Pandora. Yet, It's hard for me to throw them in the garbage.
Then there are my albums. I have a turntable but....
Where is Marie Kondo and her cold heart to throw it all away for me.
Because this is all on the 3rd floor bringing it all down to the first floor to throw out was a fun time. We went up and down those steps so many times. With boxes, with big bulking things, with garbage bags we filled, with old luggage etc. The garbage is on the 1st floor so all had to go down with us.
When we were done with this chore we were now both on the 1st floor.
I was making myself a cup of coffee and I asked Rick if he needed/wanted anything.
He responded with a very adamant, "yes, I want to not go up the stairs for at least an hour. Can we work down here or how about we watch a movie? I can still sit and would enjoy doing so"
Yes, I know he can still sit since that seems to be his favorite activity these days.
But I too could agree that not climbing the steps for the 200th time would be a nice activity.
So we watched a comedy special on Netflix. It was okay (tom papa) but we were not climbing stairs with boxes so it did what it needed to do.
I know when all this purging is complete I will feel better. But in the meantime, these stairs have become my nemesis. I deal with them pretty well, but I really don't like to have to deal with them.
12 comments:
Old ornaments are sometimes worth money. We don't decorate anymore either, no point in it.
Climbing stairs is not a good thing for a person with two ruined knees, so I'm glad my house is all one level.
Ami, after a torn meniscus in my left knee and a torn tendon in my right ankle/heel I am not much better but it is what it is. I also think all this walking up and down stairs gives me the ability to walk up and down the stairs. If you get my drift.
We have boxes and boxes of VCR tapes. My first camcorder used the big tapes. They need to be converted. Then we got an 8mm camera. All those tapes need to be converted. And as soon as we convert them to ... blueray? ... we'll need to convert them again to the latest and greatest.
I'd keep the old ornaments from your moms and donate all the other Christmas stuff. Then find a large bowl to display them in and at the holidays bring it out, plunk it on the table. Easy-pleasy. (Or find the bowl first and only keep as many ornaments that it will hold, if you have lot of them. Connections to Christmas' past are important.
Jean, I would love to hear why keeping these is important for me to remember my holidays past? This conversation went around the table over the weekend on Sunday night. Danielle and Tom (next door) stopped over. Everyone had such interesting reasons for throwing them out, selling them or keeping them. BTW, that is how I decorated before, I have some beautiful bowls and one large fancy clear one that I would put these antique and some not so old in a bowl for decorations on the table or the foyer table etc. It is so easy peasy as you just said. :-) I still have them maybe when we'll move I will make that big leap.
Christmas ornaments I always keep. I have some that students gave me. I have one that says 1985. I'll never let that go. MaryLou is beginning to throw junk. It's amazing what she's found. I told to do this years ago and now she realizes this. Whoopee. LOL See ya Peg.
Cruisin Paul
Cassette tapes? DVDs? A teenager would come here and wonder what language you're speaking :)
I have a friend who has an entire floor of her home filled with various holiday/seasonal decorations. She's tired of the stairs too.
Abby that is a hoot! and sadly true. (the kids and what language)
I no longer decorate for Christmas thanks to a maniacal cat and have found a real plus. There of course is not the putting up and taking down but you no longer have that empty feeling when you take them down and the house now looks blah.
I do have a vehicle that plays tapes and have tons but like you, I never take them along. Thinking seriously of putting in a radio that plays flash drives.
Patti, My car is too old to add anything but I do have Sirius and I enjoy that but somehow not quite the same. (sirius has all baseball games too! ALL of 'em)
I took a CCR tape to my car last night just to see how it sounded. Awful but I do love that music. :-)
Oh, I pity you going up and down those stairs. I think things like the cassettes and Christmas decorations are some of the hardest to get rid of. It is like getting rid of our past but if we never pull them out .... I don't know how to live in this small space yet and I keep cleaning out and it keeps filling up just as fast.
Barbara I don't know how to live in a small space anymore either. But God knows I'm trying. We are looking at homes further south so that means no basement. Where do people store things if no basemment? So I must purge, purge, purge. The decorations may not have made it this purge but after my sisters visit they are being purged.
Post a Comment