Rick and I have found ourselves using our phones too much in the evening.
Then the dreaded thing happened.
The other night I was googling something on my phone and Rick was watching/learning new techniques with acrylics.
Poor Izzy was sitting upright in front of us both staring at us.
I looked up and saw her staring at us.
That was all it took.
I said to him, please put down the phone. He saw what I saw.
We 3 got up and went for a walk to the pond.
We have been doing the phone thing more and more. We don't like it.
After our walk and discussion, we decided to go cell phone free for 1 full day.
During the business week, we both need our phones to communicate.
He will text me as he did this morning to add something to the bid and resend to the company. I text him about a customer he is seeing this afternoon who wanted to change the time by 30 minutes. So we knew things like that go on all day and we wouldn't be able to not use our phones.
We thought we'd try this on Saturday.
Phones were checked and then turned off.
Before I did that I called my mom and was sure she was okay and got caught up.
Then off went the phones. (If an emergency call was needed to get through my family knew to call our office landline)
But then just as Rick was about to turn his off the vet called us.
Izzy's surgery is coming up and he wanted to go over some things with us.
Shortly after the vets call we got a call from the pharmacy about Rick's Rx. We decided that Saturday would not be a good day to turn off our phones.
I deactivated my Facebook about a month ago. Same with Instagram.
(I deleted twitter when we got this imbecile in office)
Sunday morning text my mom that I was doing it another day. (didn't want to have her call and get worried)
No comments from the blog would hit my phone, no emails, no Instagram.
Nothing but my immediate family and life without a cell phone.
We did find there were a few times we would have reached for them.
We were watching a movie and discussing how old this person was.
Rick said, "just google it." I said, "okay" reaching for my phone and then said, "no can do until tomorrow"
Oh yeah.
Frankly, there were a couple of times I wanted to pick it up but when I thought about the reason it was not something that was important or couldn't wait until I was back on the computer and cell on Monday.
Every Sunday we are going to do this to start. We may find we wish to do it more or another day. We are just playing it by ear right now and see what moves us. But we didn't like our behavior and wanted to nip it in the bud as Barney Fife would say to Andy Griffith. (Nip It Nip It, Nip it in the bud Andy)
It was eye-opening how often we are on them. I don't want to be that person who is always on her phone and not looking up.
Nothing is that important honestly.
I see family members and friends always on them and not interacting with people and losing social skills. It's not pretty. I don't want to be those people.
I survived no computer and no cell for a full 24 hr period.
We are going for the trifecta to remove the TV on the same day as well.
Then Rick reminded me that baseball is on Sundays.
Damn it. Okay, I may have to rethink this now that it is baseball season.
My team stinks so maybe it will be helpful. I can still record it and watch it later. Since not on TV or my cell I won't know who won.
Could you do it for a day?
I'm giving it the ole college try!
It may be an epic fail but it is too important to us not to try.
17 comments:
Margaret (Peggy or Peg too)...wishing you good luck in your endeavor. I was in a parking lot the other day waiting for my husband to return when I observed what looked like a mother and teenage daughter get out of their car, IPods/Pads whatever in hands. They walked together to the entry of a store and never said a word to one another or looked at one another. The daughter entered the store while the mother was still outside yakking. It was one of the strangest things I've seen and so outside my realm of experience. Now I know I'm really old. Kinda sad, isn't it? I remember lots of times spent w/ my mother and we had a lot of time to talk about everything. Great memories. Most of my mother's time was spent working five days a week and catching up on chores over the weekend while I was in school, and helping her out over the weekend, etc. so it was one of the times we were together and listening, as well as talking. I'm really interested in how your experiment works out.
Regina, to your point I just saw a woman who has an 11 yr old son. One day a week is no technology. No phones, no video games etc. They began walking and running daily together. The mom brought a phone in case they needed it but it was off. The boy and his mom talked so much. he said that he learned his mom was pretty funny and she had some fun stories. she found out a boat load about his life that he never talks about at home. It has been so much fun for them they are continuing the no phone in the car too so they must converse. Or as the boys said, listen to my mom sing very badly to old rock music is pretty funny. Those 2 women will regret this.I dont wish to miss my life.
Some of the places we go camping in the summer have zero cell signal. We can get a long weekend or even a week of no phones, computers or TVs. We also have a rule of no cell phone use in restaurants.
The state park (Glimmerglass) north of Cooperstown, NY? Absolutely no cell signal. There's a sign on the desk in the camp office suggesting that you enjoy the lack of signal rather than bitch about it. Rather enjoyed that weekend.
It's sad to see a table of people sitting together and every damn one of them is head-down, plugged into their phone. Hard for the waitstaff to even get an order out of them. They're missing life and don't even know it.
somehow, Margaret (Peggy or Peg too)….I don't think you ever will wish to miss your life. Isn't it great that the boy you spoke about will have memories of his special times with his mother, and happy he has them indelibly etched in his mind when she's no longer around? Love it!
We gave up our landline 2 years ago when we got rid of the car and needed smartphones for Uber and Lyft. That said, since we rarely leave our home, we rarely use our phones for anything except making and receiving calls, of which there are few (coming or going). Prior to the getting of smartphones we had "dumb" cell phones - calls only - I had the data aspect of our plan turned off (which our phone provider found odd.) But take away my iPad and my computer and I'm toast - I live by email and my whole life is pretty much lived via the internet. Last week I was waiting at the doctors office while my husband was being doctored and all around me were a bunch of old farts thoroughly engrossed in their phones, while I was thoroughly engrossed in watching them!
Grace, it is funny to watch. No computers for us on the day of no cell phones either. Nothing! We will see how we do.
I commend both you and Rick. It must be difficult for people today to turn everything off. My wife & I don't have cell phones. Well we have one but don't know how to use it. Do we feel ot having one? Not really. The computer is about the only thing that we have and even then it's not on a great deal. My blog is good for me but I only create twice a week. I do enjoy meeting with my blogger friends. I've seen people bump into others, into windows, doors walls, cars, pools and once get hit by a car. Luckily he wasn't hurt that bad. They are good but people have to realize talking with each other is important. Even better is writing a note would be nice. I guess I might be getting to old but even this comment would be interesting if I could talk with you at times Peg. See ya.
Cruisin Paul
Nope, can't let go of my internet connection - be it the desktop, the laptop or the iPad - what would I read, how would I know if my packages were delivered, how would I order dinner or groceries - all every day occurrences. I'm sitting here typing this on my laptop, with my iPad a mere 6 inches away, and I was just in my 'office' having a quick email conversation with a friend whilst she was taking a break from her work...I have no idea where my phone is...
Paul I understand - you'll have to do a Potomoc Cruise and come visit. I'll put the coffee on!
Grace - LOL
It's really sad to see families sitting in restaurants, none of them talking to each other and playing with their phones. People stand in lines with their noses buried in their phones when in the past they more than likely would have exchanged some pleasant words with others in line. Poor Izzy represents a lot of ignored kids, doesn't she.
Jean sadly you are correct. As the comedian said, he could be naked in an elevator because no one is looking at him, only their phones.
I still don't have a smartphone although I may need to get one. My slide phone works just fine when I need it about once a week.
I do all my interneting on my PC. So when I'm away from the PC, I'm away from the internet.
Cell phone, laptop, tv - I could give one up for a day. Giving two up would have to be on a well-planned day (I just got the Rockets schedule added to my calendar with email and text reminders). All three, nope, don't think I even want to try. My brain is putty and I need at least one of them to know the world is still turning.
Kind of cool that it was Izzy who set off the alarm. I am so glad there is no cell service here and only spotty in the surrounding area. I still have my computer but that involves getting up and at least walking to the bedroom where it lives.
As for age of an actor, just click on "more info" in the TV, then go to cast and crew. Usually gives date of birth of the actor or click on them and it will tell you what else they have been in. That helps me when some one looks really familiar but I can't place them.
Admire your efforts. Not sure I could go a whole day with out my computer.
Good idea to take a technology break! My phone was acting weird, so I did a factory reset to hopefully return its youthful functionality. Did I really want to reload all the time-wasting apps? Nope. Feels good, like a Marie Kondo purge!
I do wonder about young people who have grown up always tethered to social media, and whose parents set a poor example. Wishing you both and Izzy much happy time!
Barbara yea we aren't sure we can do all 3 either. Trying this weekend. We will see how it goes. I will report on Monday.
Patti - good tip!
Brian - it should be a rule - camping = no cell phones. You're in nature - just enjoy it!
Mike - Do you still have a land line or something that you only need your phone once a week? I do miss my land line so when I don't wish to answer I could just say I wasn't home. Bad margaret.
Abby - my phone has been acting weird too but I am blaming mercury in retrograde. That is when all forms of communication work incorrectly, computers, phones, verbal. Never sign a contract during this time. I know you laugh but it's real and I have had a computer crash and both times it is during this time. Same with my phone right now but I am ignoring it until mercury leaves retrograde. I am that nut.
Post a Comment