I did my DNA through Ancestry.com quite a while back.
I have seen the trees from both sides of my family.
One goes back to 10x my grandparents.
The other goes back 8x my grandparents.
All names end in a vowel. You know names like Ferraro, Donatucci, Malizia, DeSanti, Pasquale, Marchetti, Carotti etc.
I was told originally that I was Italian.
The exact total the 1st time was 70%.
The rest was Sardina (which is Italy anyway and 1% African)
Ancestry.com sends me an email telling me they have updated the information.
My update is 80% Italian, no African, 2% Sardina and 18% Greek/Balkans.
So I look at the family tree a cousin did on my Dad's side of the family.
It goes back as I stated above 10x my grandparents.
All of them are Italian.
Both the husband and wife. He has birth certificates and photos etc.
Man, he did a lot of work here and I can't imagine how long this took him. But he is retired so he has the time. I am not sure I'd have the will.
I then went to another cousin who did a tree on my Mom's side.
As stated above she went back to 8x grandparents. Nothing other than Italian names, birth certificates, etc.
So I ask, where did all this Greek come from suddenly?
I think someone went to Greece for the weekend and came home knocked up and no one ever knew is my thoughts.
What do you think?
21 comments:
Several sources say that those tests are mostly bullshit, merely a moneymaker for the various companies.Stories of identical twins and triplets receiving completely different profiles.
Although history is full of people who accidentally got PG... so who knows?
Ami, I don't agree with you on this one. two siblings can have different DNA. My sister could have gotten more of my dad and I could have gotten more of my mom. So her precentage of Italian could be higher. That doesn't mean we aren't sisters. Just the % is different. If this were bogus then when you need DNA to solve a crime in your family you may think differently. If my sister had a completely different profile, meaning she had Irish in her. Then she would not be my sister (of she is my half-sister etc). So telling me that twins have different profiles is normal. 100% different nationalities is a different family and someone isn't telling someone something! DNA doesn't lie. If you are scared or fearful that ancestry is just a money maker you can do this on your own elsewhere. I know someone who didn't trust ancestry and the funny thing was he spent thousands - got the same results. Conspiracy theory thwarted by over 2grand of stupidity. He went to a lab that was independent.
i'm pretty sure most of what these consumer testing companies do is seall snake oil, which is the front end of their business.
for the back end of their business, you've opted your entire family into warrantless DNA searches forever andever amen. cops pay them for your genetic info.
SOME of what they do is accutarte, but most of what they do, like telling you where you're from, is mostly junks science and bullshit.
right now they're busy trying to sell "new information" because the industry is tanking because most people aren't buying. for every person that finds a brith family, there are lots more who get useless junk. and the companies are not making money because most of the people who are interested have bought already, so now they want people who bought to buy again.
I have never done one. May hove to check them out someday. I only know what I know from my Great Grandmothers and that is that I am part Swiss and part German. Good enough for me! HA HA!
Ann, Rick was told he was Irish. Not at all.
My brother in law was told he was german his whole life. Not a drop of German. So funny that Family lore.
flask - I love all your conspiracy theories. Crack me up Sounds like trump....Climate change is a hoax, I have the facts to prove it. LOL
it's okay you don't have to do it and you don't have to like that I did it and believe most of it. There is a man on PBS you should watch and tell this scientist you think his job is bullshit. It would be interesting.
I've done the DNA from 23 & Me and Ancestry and they both came out with similar numbers and every time they update their results (as more and more people take the tests) they get more precise and my Italian percentage goes down as they sort out the European blood lines with more precision.
It's not junk science as some believe but you do have to do a deep dive to understand what and how they are doing what they do with those DNA tests 23 & me has tons of information on that, including results of gene studies being done all over the world that are way over my head. It's an exciting new field that is going to lead to a whole new way of treating medical issues.
A lot of those family trees that people post are not done properly meaning they are just 'borrowing' names and dates from other relative's family trees which may or may not have been done following the actual paper trails of documents.
It is wonderful to be Italian Peg. Have agreat day my friend. È
meraviglioso essere Italian Peg. Avere un grande giorno il mio amico.
Cruisin Paul
Jean, that is what I'm thinking. The one tree has birth certificates or crossing lists and army and census list for each person on his tree. I can't fathom how much time that took. If I did that just for myself and Rick it would take so much time - who has that much time? The one on my father was fascinating. He was born in NJ, the only member of his family born in the US and he was so proud of that. But it had his mother's birth cert. his fathers his, their citizenship info, many census trails as well as his armed services paperwork. It went on and I just am thankful he did it but blown away that he did it.
The other tree isn't as in-depth and I am thinking it's that side of the family.
Paul, oh you're good. I can see you wrote the same thing in English and Italian. I could never ever do that. I understand it, but can't write it or speak it. Only bad words.
LOL too funny! My daughter did 23 and me, I'd be interested in what it pulls up on Ancestry since most of our family trees are done by people. Wonder if it would follow along. My aunt even hired someone in the Czech republic to translate some stuff.
Julie,its fun no matter what. to me anyways
Margaret, my mom before I did started our family trees back before the internet and she would go to county records and get records and write to those out of state. It took years and I started where she left off. People into serious genealogy do spend large blocks of time but not all at one time. It's a hobby like any other. I had to have some Italian papers translated and got all kinds of interesting family history leads from doing so.
Jean, I so enjoy reading all of the history and the backstories. My cousin Steve has done so much work and he sent me a bunch of things the other day to go through. I can't wait to do that this weekend. I wish when I was younger I would have asked my elders more you know? My dad had a very difficult childhood so more often than not he'd tell me to leave sleeping dogs lie. It angered me but on the same hand, I understood his pain so I never pried more. But I sure could have with my birth mom's family and I didn't. The courthouse and county records type things are all online now so you don't need to actually go there but I bet there may be some things you wouldn't find online as well. I went to the courthouse info just for fun and saw my name change (after divorce went back to my maiden name) even saw how much I paid for it. No one an hide anymore
Very interesting. You are mostly a pure bred except for that sneaky Greek. I have thought about doing it but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I know my ancestors for about 8 generations back but it would be kind of fun to see if something besides Irish/English was hiding in my DNA.
My step sisters found they had a surprise half brother.
Patti, it says 20% but has a note that it can be 1% to 20%.
Basically, I am Italian American with someone who fooled around with a Greek and no ones talkin'. :-) The tramp.
Or in Italian, the puttana or puttan...tee hee (actually that means whore but you get the drift.)
😀
I don't plan to have my DNA tested, but I have a pretty good idea about what kind of soup I have in my background. Two paternal grandparents came here from Italy, two maternal great grandparents did the same, and I have one maternal grandmother who was of French/Belgian descent. (Just to mix up the Italian soup.)
What got in there before Italy, I don't need to know.
I am finally getting around to thinking I might try the DNA thing. A DNA test is what my grandson asked his mother to get him for Christmas! I don't know the results of that yet but it did kind of pique my interest.
So Greece and Italy are not all that far apart, there could have been some kind of cross pollination, I suppose.
i know that both maternal grandparents came from Ukraine, and my paternal ancestry is heavy on the British Isles but I really don't have much information at all. I do know my paternal grandfather was one of 13 children so I must surely have relatives that I know nothing of at all.
Greece and Italy are very close geographically and there is likely a lot of mixing going back a long time. I am 5 to 11 percent Irish, but my eastern European mother's roots go back a long way and I can go back nearly 20 generations on my Norwegian/Icelandic father's side. I blame the vikings for their wayward travels and escapades and passing it on down to me.
I read where both ancestry companies are laying off people for lack of new customers. I would hate to see these companies go under because I like the law being able to track down rapists through related blood lines. I know of two young people whose father might not be the one on the birth certificate. Neither mother intends to say anything to their child. I keep thinking how those kids will feel if one day they find out a different truth. I think there is a TV series along these lines.
Barbara, Rick's birth mother lied about everything.EVERYTHING.small insignificant things. But for some reason she did not lie when she named his father on his birth certificate. He was appreciative of the one time she told the truth.
Post a Comment