Friday, February 21, 2020

Accents

I absolutely adore Celeste Barber. 
I just listened to her on Katie Couric's podcast.
After the whole interview, I decided that I'd like an Australian accent.
I think I need to move to Australia to secure this accent.

If you don't know Celeste Barber you obviously don't have Instagram.
She has a special on Netflix that was okay, not great by any means.
But it's her Instagram that slays me. She is so damn funny.

I discovered who she was from her very funny Instagram posts. 
I did not know her as an actress or comedian. I don't know that she did anything in America before her Instagram posts made her worldwide famous.

I listened to the podcast and there were a few words that I did not understand.
But there are no closed captions on a podcast and at my desk, I couldn't rewind to try to understand the accent better. 
Either way, the accent sounds great and I think I need a new one.

When I went to school I was living in Pittsburgh.
Now they have an accent that to me is like chalk on a board.
A cupboard is a closet. WHAT? The word 'you' was yins.
The word on is very different too.
I did not care for this accent it was grating to me. Lovely lovely people but the accent got to ME only. I did not pick this one up after a few years.

When I lived in Ohio in 1987 they had a distinct accent that was easy to slide into. After I was there a couple of years I caught myself saying some words like they did. Car became CAWR. Bob became BAWB.
(you who watch football know it's their DAWG pound)
I worked with a woman who's husband was named Bob. So I heard that Bawb name a lot.

Then I moved to the PNW. They didn't talk differently they were just cold and anti-social. Quick let's move!

Then I was living in Maryland - the same accent as Pittsburgh. 
Had to leave.

Moved 40 miles south to Northern VA.  - every accent you will ever hear is located here.
Everyone is from somewhere else so we get 'em all. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Boston, Southern, Ireland, Australia, Ghana, Minnesota etc. But ya'll is a favorite.
Too damn easy to pick up. I say it all the time but the pretty southern lilt is not in there so I didn't get that part...darn it.

I like a soft Georgia accent. I find a Georgia accent pretty.
Not to be confused with Mississippi or Louisiana. Southern but different.

When I was in the travel industry I traveled so much that when I met someone I could tell where they were from. I recall meeting someone from Canada at a big conference in Vegas that the company had. I knew the accent wasn't just Canada but eastern Canada as in Ontario. Just like here, their regional accents are their own beautiful flavor in each province and city. This man and I talked about work for 30 or 40 minutes and he asked where I was from. I told him. I asked, "Are you from Toronto, Mississauga, that area?"  He asked how the hell did I know this? He indeed was from Mississauga. I told him I watched a lot of Canadian TV growing up.  I had a customer in Saskacktwan....very different but distinctly Canadian.

Since I've been here I only got the "ya'll" down.
So in a couple of years as we hope to move to North Carolina I may get an accent. I'd sure prefer Australian but can't move there or God knows I would.

I grew up with parents who spoke English but you won't find their words in a dictionary. 
My father had 5 goils, his mudda and fodda barely spoke English, his wife made him his sangwich for work and he was a plumma as his trade.
He worked on turlits.

If you can decipher that you could have understood my father. But for some reason that accent I never acquired. Maybe because I went to speech class for the first 7 years of school. I don't know but do find it interesting since I pick up accents too easily.

I could just be like Madonna who lived in the UK part-time for a couple of years. Just a gal from Detroit speaking like the Queen even though she no longer lives there.

I need to get to Australia. I think for the next 20 yrs I could live there and pick up the accent. At the very least I would love trying.




7 comments:

Grace said...

I had to look up Celeste Barber, never heard of her, and she has one of the most understandable Australian accents - it's a big country and like the USA the accents vary from location to location (as well as the slang). We watch a lot of Australian tv shows and there have been times when my husband and I look at each other and say "What did they just say?"

Anyway, I take it then that you are Italian-American from NYC and live in NoVA? Ha- Me too!
https://broadwaymatron.com/2020/01/02/it-always-circles-back-to-da-bronx/

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hi Grace, welcome. I know it varies like here and any country actually. As you and your husband watch Australian TV shows you should turn on closed captions. I have to do that with The Crown. pitiful isn't it?
NO, I am not from NYC. (but italian yes) I worked there for years but lived in NoVA. I am from Erie PA. My father was the only child born in America in his family and he was born in Jersey then moved to the Bronx as a 1 yr old or da Bronx as he would say. But NYC has my heart. My first day of working there I called my husband here in NoVA and said, "oh my God I've met my people. It felt like home to me.

Mike said...

I picked the gal in the middle right off because of the way she rolled her r's when she said her name. She sounded Latin American.

Cruisin Paul said...

What happened with your blog? I tried to write a comment last week and poof, I couldn't? Oh well.
As far as accents, I'm Canadian, eh.LOL See ya Peg.


Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul, "eh" gives it away my friend. But the way you say house and about, the whole ou sound is delightful and a dead give away. :-)

Arkansas Patti said...

Pretty sure I left a comment but guess not. I understood your father perfectly. I was raised like an Army brat so I pretty much talk like the natives quickly. I kind of like the Irish lilt and wouldn't mind copying that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti my boss in my corporate life was from Ireland. HE came to work for us in NYC. It took me 2 yrs to be able to understand him 100% of the time. Here is what happened after a meeting with him. (Fong is the name of a senior account mgr in our team)
Bruce: (I understood nothing he just said except Fong and died)
Me: Fong died? OMG Bruce.
Bruce: (gasps) When did Fong die?
ME: Didn't you just say Fong died?
Bruce: NO.
Me: I think I need captions under your chin Bruce.
Bruce: wanna go downstairs for a drink?
ME: That must be the international language because I understood that. :-)
We've been besties since then. I love listening to him.
Even when he says Peg, it sounds so pretty. He also taught me dirty words and that in America a fanny pack is not a good thing to say in Ireland. Fanny is the female body part and not her arse. :-) You'd have loved him for so many reasons!