One of them was The Old Man and The Gun.
I don't like a lot of Robert Redford's movies. I find his choices to be dull and slow. Oh, not the 70's movies like Sundance or The Way We Were, but the recent ones. Ever since Ordinary People, which I found so slow, he has only been in dull movies to me. The one with Jane Fonda that I was so looking forward to was awful to me. Slower than molasses.
Rick wanted to see this and I really like Sissy Spacek so I thought why not.
It's 2 degrees and 45 mph winds outside so I made some hot cocoa and we watched the movie.
As is the case it was slow. I know it was a true story so that held my interest
Sissy Spacek looks great for 69 and as always she was very good in her part.
I loved her on the Netflix show Bloodline. She is just always good to me.
She did not disappoint, only there wasn't a lot of her or a lot for her to do.
The movie was Redford and even he didn't have a lot of dialogue to memorize.
He has said that was the last movie he will ever make in front of the camera. Did you see it? Did you like it? It was just okay.
Next in my queue is The Wife. The movie that Glenn Close keeps beating Lady Gaga for best actress. So I need to check out this movie and see if I agree. :-)
As for my firestick and HBO issue. I am going through my prime. I saw how I could get the firestick cheaper that way as well. Until business picks up and this !@#$!@! shut down is over I really can't do anything so I must wait.
Yesterday Rick got in the cooking mode.
I love, love, love when that happens.
He was going through the freezer. We did not have veal shanks as you normally use for Osso Buco but he sees the beef shanks.
So he did a version of Osso Buco. The only difference is the meat.
I was on the 3rd floor while he was slaving away in the kitchen.
I was getting the 3rd floor ready for company yet again.
As I got to the 2nd floor I could really smell the food.
By the time I got to the 1st-floor landing, I saw Rick putting cream cheese in a bowl.
I asked what he was doing. He stated he was making a meal.
I laughed and said, Knock yourself out babe!
I saw that he was having a drink and I asked if it needed to be freshened up. I mean, if you are going to cook for me the least I can do is freshen up your cocktail. After I did that I went back upstairs.
I came downstairs to delicious smells and a big fat mess in the kitchen.
Don't bitch Peg, he made you a meal.
I set the table and we had an awesome meal.
I was stuffed!
We hadn't eaten since 9am/breakfast and here is was 7pm.
I was hungry and he outdid himself with this great meal, so I was a pig.
When Rick does cook I always say after I'm finished, gee did you make dessert?
He always laughs and says no. I always shake my head and tell him a good husband would do both. We laugh and clean up. End of story.
Last night I did not ask if there was dessert. I got up to bring my plate to the sink and he says, "Hey, you didn't ask your question?"
"What question?"
"What do you always ask me after I make dinner?"
"Oh yeah, but I'm full."
"Oh c'mon Margaret play nice"
I was laughing now. Okay, "Hey Rick, did you make any dessert"
"Why yes I did Margaret, individual cheesecakes with a strawberry coulis"
"No shit?!"
In the fridge, he tells me.
Now I just said I was stuffed but I sure had cheesecake.
I had so many questions. How did you learn to make this?
Did you make the coulis with our berries yourself?
How, why? so many questions.
But instead, I took a bite and about died.
OH MY GOD. It was rich, creamy smooth and oh so flavorful.
He put the cheesecake filling in a ramikin without the gluten graham crackers, just the filling for me. He ground almonds for a crust on the bottom as he has seen me do before. He topped each off with his homemade coulis. It was so friggin' good no one would believe he just did this for the first time.
He made 4 of them. I still have 1 more for today. I can't wait.
In the meantime, I grilled him? How long was I upstairs? my goodness?
Where did you get this recipe? He googled it. He even put these in a water bath.
Who is this man? And why doesn't he visit more often?
Needless to say, I had a lazy fat day.
I ate too much food and dessert.
I laid around and watched a movie and a couple more Grace and Frankie's.
It was a nice day, but my body can't take many of those.
This man has to learn how to cook some low cal things I am afraid.

19 comments:
Oh my gosh that is so nice minus the dishes. I actually hung a sign above the sink that says "wash your own stupid dishes!" it worked for a day lol.
What do you think of the new season of Grace and Frankie? Lots of F bombs lol.
Julie - I saw where some old gals on the FB site were bitching about that. I don't see where it's more than any other time. But okay. I have not watched the whole thing. After just 2 or 3 I wasn't thrilled but it's gotten better.
I saw 'The Old Man and The Gun' and wrote an entire blog about in early November. I thought it dragged, too. I have not been fond of his starring roles in movies in the last half of his career but those he's directed and produced during that time frame have been top-notch. The causes he supports, his starting the Sundance Film Festival and all that entails will always keep my admiration for Robert Redford high, though.
Maybe Rick could become a Rent-a-Chef. I love how men are taking an interest in cooking these days.
Bloodline was OK. But not enough to watch the second season. I think Claudia has watched some of season 2.
Did you not have a firestick? How could you have Prime and not have a firestick? I have a firestick but don't have Prime. I don't watch the firestick that much but at least it was a one time charge. It's getting to where I don't watch Netflix that much anymore. Their latest price hike has me debating whether or not to keep it.
Jean, I recalled your post as well. I love Redford and all he does. Classy man. Did you see him on CBS Sunday Morning a few weeks back?
As for Rick he loves to eat so he has always been a cook.
When he moved out he asked his mom for pots and pans for Xmas and she cried and asked if he was a homosexual. That just cracks me up. He bought his own pots and pans. He was 19 yrs old and then just asked her for recipes.
Mike, I did not get a firestick with prime.
I pay $10 for netflix so it's not a big deal, but it may become one soon.
Wow!! What a great treat - and dessert too!!! What a man you have...does he have a brother?!?! Glad you were able to prepare your home - enjoy your company!!!!
I think about you two as each day of the shutdown continues. I keep reading about so many companies affected that I had never thought about. All I keep thinking is that if he gets his way, he will do this over and over. I want an end to his mean, thoughtless ways. I would add and food on your table but your table is sounding pretty good right now. Excellent job Rick Keep on truckin'.
No I didn't see Redford on CBS Sunday Morning. I will look it up. Thanks.
Turned both movies off!!! Bored to tears. I did try though.
And yes, your man is awesome but then so are you....you guys are even.
Linda, well then I won't rent The wife if you feel asleep. I did on the Redford movie, woke up and finished out of curiosity. And no, he is not awesome, just enjoys cooking far more than me.
Barbara, it is amazing how many will be hurt by this eventually causing a recession. we will be screwed when our freezer is bare.☹
Ann, I wish he did cuz I could make some $$$$. I've been asked this for 31 yrs.
If you like westerns, I wonder if you saw the movie Westworld, with Yul Brenner. About 1970? If so, you might like the newer Westworld series on Netflix.
At our house we have an unspoken rule: The wife cooks inside, and I cook outside, (on the grill)
Oh, my that last meme got me giggling. Now I wish I knew a Biblical scholar.
MarkD60, I do not care for westerns, but Rick loves 'em. I will share this with him. Thanks. He is always looking for something new to watch.
We thankfully don't have that rule. He cooks inside and out when the mood strikes him. He hasn't been working a lot so he's got the time to play in the kitchen and he loves it and I am thankful for it. :-)
I just watched the trailers for both these movies. The old man one looks interesting only because it's based on a true story, and Glenn Close looks good in the Wife, but I think that one would piss me off.
And whoa! Rick went above and beyond! Is he vying for husband of the year?
To me there is nothing sexier than a man in an apron. They do make marvelous cooks since they don't come into the world thinking they have to cook till they die. Enjoy and encourage repeats.
Abby, he can no more make hubby of the year than I can make wifey of the year. See no one gets excited when I make a great dinner. He puts a dinner on the table and everyone loves him, I do it all the time and no accolades, why is that? :-)
Because Linda above said she fell asleep during The Wife, I think I'll pass. I too will be pissed I know for certain knowing the topic. I stuck it out with Redford because it was a true story. I just don't think it was told the best way it could have. I loved the old flash backs when they used Redford from younger movies. He is a good lookin' man even in his 80's
Post a Comment