I had the weirdest Friday ever.
Now when you read the event, please understand that it is NOT WHAT WAS SAID, BUT HOW IT WAS SAID TO ME that upset me. Now it's funny as hell to me but at that moment in time I was not finding the funny just yet.
Aside from them trying to find cancer in me and all the poking and prodding I got a UTI. It began about 2 days after we went to that depressing town of Altoona/Patton PA.
I just did what all gals do, drink all the cranberry juice and lots of water to flush it then I got AZO over the counter.
That makes your urine orange - that's a trip to see in the bowl. They really should put that tidbit on the box so when it happens you don't think you are suddenly bleeding internally.
All I was doing for this UTI wasn't really helping me and I thought on top of everything I twisted in a funny way and that I had a muscle strain on my left flank area. I chaulked it up to when I was planting our tomato plants etc. BUT - It got so bad that I was barely moving and the pain was out of this world, off the charts and I couldn't stand much more.
Thursday night Rick said, "do you think this is your kidneys and all this that you're doing yourself for your UTI spread to your kidneys."
Ah, smart boy. It was like a light bulb went off. Damn, I'm a dummy.
I promised him I'd go to urgent care first thing in the morning.
My doctor is off on Friday's. So if you get sick on a Friday you are screwed.
I drove over to Urgent Care, which is very very close to me. I sat down and they called me. Whew was my first thought - until I saw the damn scale. Really? Why must you weigh me? They then asked me to pee in a cup. I remind them I'm on AZO and so my urine will be reddish orange. "Fine, we're aware of this with AZO", little miss sunshine says back to me.
That was all that was said. They get my weight and send me to a room. I sat in the chair and the woman told me to sit on the table to take my blood pressure. I tell her I've been taking Dayquil and Nyquil so my blood pressure may be elevated.
She takes it and announces it's fine. It wasn't fine, I saw it. But maybe for most people that is fine. 154/70. I normally have low blood pressure. She never actually LOOKED at me, addressed me or smiled.
Little Miss Sunshine leaves the room and I'm sitting on my table and I get a text from Gary. Issues I have to deal with. Great. Then a text from Rick. He is in Fredericksburg and should be done in 40 minutes or less. I am still sitting here thinking I need to get back to the office. Then in walks a woman in a white lab coat. She did not tell me who she was. She just barged in like Kramer on TV's Seinfeld show.
Her arms are flailing as she says to me, "You have to leave. red blood cells, white blood cells. YOU MUST LEAVE"
Readers, I am confused.
Why do I have to leave? Am I to go to another room?
What the shit is she talking about?
I say, "Why do I have to leave and where am I going?"
She appeared to be quite flustered by my stupidity that I didn't understand the YOU MUST LEAVE.
She said, "you are too sick for us to see. Here is a copy of your urine analysis. But you have to leave."
I asked, "you're a health care facility and you are telling me to go home because I am too sick?
She said quote, "Don't be stupid, get yourself to a hospital right now"
And walked out of the room. I muttered, gee thanks under my breath.
Who does that? Again as I said at the beginning. It was not what was said but how it was said that threw me.
For example, if she had said, "Hi I'm Dr.Twat. (and yes she was) I have looked over your urine analysis and you are quite the sick old lady. I can't do enough here at this facility so we are going to ask that you go to the ER at the hospital right away. Bring this copy of your urine sample information for the doctors there. They will probably do their own but this is a good start. I wish you the best of luck. Again I'm sorry we can't help you here."
Gee, I would have understood that. But no niceties or explanation just repeating with her arms flailing about - you must leave, you must leave.
But to just keep telling me to leave and not why made me feel like an idiot and admittedly confused.
I thought at first, are there cameras here? Am I being punk'd, candid camera, something like that?
I drove myself over to the hospital. Again, close by thank goodness.
I get to the ER and they ask if my name is Margaret such and such.
I must have looked shocked. She said that Urgent Care called.
They took me right back, no waiting and that was wonderful. Hey at least they called and told them that typhoid Margaret was coming.
I got an IV of fluids right away but not before I peed in that cup. They took my print out of my pee. The doctor came in, who by the way was cute, smart and NICE. (yipee for me.) He began to hit my left flank as he called it and I screamed. Now I have a strong tolerance for pain I have been told many times. But this brought me to my knees. Apparently, my kidneys are involved in this UTI. I had an awful kidney infection as well as the UTI. Boy, I am just a fun date of late. They gave me antibiotics and all kinds of things in my IV, but not pain meds. The doctor said that he couldn't give me something to help the pain knowing I have to drive myself home. I just want the pain to go away at this point in time.
As if on cue, my phone rang. I asked if I could answer it. They said yes. Thankfully Rick was already on his way home. I asked how much longer I would be there. The doctor said a while more, we need blood and test that etc. I got off the phone and told them my husband was on his way and coming straight to the ER. I gave them his ETA and they said, "give her some morphine." Whoa!
I asked, "morphine really?" He just said, "Oh yes."
By the time Rick got there I was flying. I don't recall leaving the hospital completely. I came home and went to the office and dealt with what I could. Rick worked for me the rest of the day. Whew.
The couple of antibiotics I am taking make me extremely drowsy. I take them every 12 hrs. It's great at night because they knock me out. But during the day I am doing all I can to keep my head upright.
I am feeling better but it's not great yet. I have to take these for awhile.
I am just having so much fun lately I think it just shouldn't be allowed.
In the meantime, my chest x-ray is perfect. I assume my mammogram will be too. I'll know by the end of this week I think. In the meantime having some more things done to me. I may have sell a kidney to pay for it all though. Just not this one. The other will be fine. :-)
16 comments:
Holy crap! What a weird Dr that was. They really need to make Dr's pass a bedside manners course. I hope you are feeling better now. My mom gets frequent UTI's and I was asking her about taking the orange pills and she didn't even know what I was talking about. Isn't that strange?
Julie, I didn't know about AZO either my sister told me. (she's 44) So it may be generational. She warned me that my pee would look like I was peeing blood. She said the first time she was hysterical and nowhere on the box does it tell you that. So she wanted me to know. She went to the doctor hysterical and they all laughed. I laughed because if she hadn't told me I would have been worried. Oh well, lesson learned. Just go get the antibiotics first and don't let it move to your kidneys.
What a strange bedside manner that first doctor had! Any chance what was going on in your kidneys was give them a false positive about the supposed cancer in your body?
Oh gosh you are having it all, and that doctor then! I'm so hoping that you'll be well soon. I couldn't not smile at Dr, Twat anyway ;)
So that's what urgent care is all about. GET OUT GET OUT, NOW!
OMG, why would the urgent care person (don't really know it's a Dr, ya know, could have been a lab tech, or a nurse, or a med assistant) act that way? I would have said "I'm sitting right here until you A) tell me who you are B) explain yourself. That's just horribly rude.
At least you had great care at the ER. Fly safely, you hear?
What gets me is that when you take AZO, your pee changes color in like, 40 seconds! It's the damnedest thing.
I'm glad you got the help you needed, but you need to communicate with the urgent care place and let them know what a twat that woman is. And I don't know about your laws, but our urgent care facilities are not staffed by doctors. They're physician's assistants. And sometimes you get a good one. Usually, though, it's a complete doofus.
Hope you're feeling better.
I am glad you got the proper treatment, but there is very little excuse for such treatment at the urgent care.
UPDATE: That Urgent Care facility actually had the balls to call me and ask how my experience was. I must share with you all that was an actual physician, Dr Twat. So not a PA. Oh, they got an earful. They asked if I would mind telling HR and all this corporate bullshit. I said fine when I can. You can call me I am not going out of my way to do this for you. So that should prove interesting. Again, not what was said, but how it was said.
Jean, I wanted to believe that theory too but since my eye has been an issue for about 9 months or longer I don't think we can tie it in. But I keep mentioning it. :-)
Mike - your comment made Rick laugh!
Thanks everyone - getting better but the meds are knocking me on my arse. I am so damn tired within the hour of taking them that I can barely keep my head up. I put my head on my desk a few times yesterday and the phone wakes me up. Behind in paperwork but it will be there when I'm awake later. :-) Sadly it doesn't go away.
Jeebus Margaret, just one damn thing after another! Glad you are getting it under control.
Just curious, was that urgent care doctor non-american? I'm wondering if it was a language barrier type thing, or was she really 100% twat? Either way, it was handled poorly at the time, but it was super nice of them to call ahead and warn the ER that Typhoid Margaret was on the way.
And urgent care sounded pleased that you had a terrible experience with Dr. Twat. Maybe they are looking for a justifiable reason to cut her loose?
Brian, she was American. She looked it and sounded just like me. She could have been from somewhere else though. She was just a twat. :-)
Oh my goodness. So much happening to you. I know you are like me and would rather take a beating than deal with the doctors, hospitals, etc. I'm late reading this so hope you are much better by now.
holy cow.
is it wrong if i laughed?
flask - never wrong if you laugh!!
Post a Comment