Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Another Test Bites the Dust.

The last couple of days has been interesting and a bit funny.
Only 2 more tests to go but luckily not until June 8th for those two.
I am dreading those 2 the most. 

Yesterday was my CT Scan with contrast. It involved math - I hate math.
There were pills to take at different times. However, the medication was not covered by insurance and it was over $300.00. There was a generic for only $10 but the issue according to the pharmacist was that I would have to take 8 at a time instead of 1 to get the same amount. Okay, that was fine, I will swallow 16 pills instead of 2 to save $290. 

I had to take medicine/pills 12-14 hrs. before my appointment
I had to drink this horrific chalk like drink that they sweetened with a berry flavor which made it far worse!!  Just chalk would have been fine. 
It was a big bottle too. 

No food or pills for 4 hours prior to the test.

Then I had to take more of that chalk drink 2 hrs before the test.
I had to take 8 more pills 2 hrs before the test.

Lastly –
I had to take 2 Benadryl 1 hr before the test.

Now I can’t take 50mg of Benadryl and be upright.
So I felt like this was Weekend at Bernie’s – Rick is holding me up and I am in such a fog when we left. I felt drunk. I don't like that feeling at all.

Then when I get into what they called the IV room before the CT room I am given an IV, they draw a bit of blood, and give me more of this chalk shit to drink.
I get in the room with the CT scan and I am given another damn drink. 
This one is like the other BUT they put in something that the nurse said would be like pop rocks or Alka-seltzer. Oh goodie, chalk with fizz. Yum.

Finally, I along with my IV climb up on the table and it does its thing. Hold my breath and then exhale. I would be dozing off and then they would scream instructions. Hey - I'm sleepy you made me take benadryl and then you want me to do things on command. Think about what you're asking of me. I am seriously trying to stay awake and it is not easy. 

Finally, I am done. I get down and I am woozy and having a difficult time. 
This feeling is just not fun to me. I am trying to hold my gown closed and not show the room my privates and walk straight. I couldn't seem to do it well. I am barely awake and I am having trouble not walking like I’m a drunken whore on a bender.  

I just can’t function on Benadryl especially when they had me take 2 of them.
I had to focus to keep my head up and when I laid on the table it was like heaven for me. These nurses thought it was funny.
As I was leaving the 1st room with the IV to move to the CT room the cute nurse looked at me and said, Oh I see it happening to you, are you okay? Can you walk, want to hold my arm?  I did take her arm. At one point she said to the other person in the room, We’ve got a sleeper here today. I laughed and said, doesn’t everyone have this effect with the drug? She said, “no, about 75% do though. You’re little so that could be why” I told her I loved her for calling me little. I am not little anywhere but I am short. She was like 6’ blonde amazon gorgeous woman. The other woman was probably 5’8”. Apparently, I was quite funny they told Rick so who knows what the hell I said but I do recall being told to come back anytime I was a fun patient.  I wonder if I should be embarrassed?  Probably. And no thank you, I do not wish to return unless you add some vodka or tequila to that chalk substance! 

I was very hungry when I got home but could barely stay awake.
Rick made me scrambled eggs and brought them upstairs to me while I was changing my clothes.
I wolfed ‘em down and crawled into bed.
I slept for 3 hours.

I was still very groggy and went to back to bed around 7:30p but I must admit that my abdomen was not in pain for the first time in a year.
So this chalk either coated my belly well or all the drugs did something to me.
Even this morning I feel better, not as good as yesterday but better. Hmmm.....

They did say I’d hear about the test in 24 – 48 hrs. No news was good news she said.

That was a fun Tuesday. I hope ya'll had more fun than me.

10 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Sounds awful! Hope you get the results you want.

LL Cool Joe said...

How terrible. I really hope and pray the results are good ones!

Olga said...

I have no doubt that you you gave quite a funny commentary going through this whole ordeal. Hoping that the news is good and leads to successful treatment.

April said...

I wish Benadryl did that to me - then I could take it when that awful yearly thing is done!!

Keeping positive thoughts!!!

Mike said...

Some people really know how to have a good time.

Julie H said...

Sheesh. Scott had to do Prednisone and Benadryl before his CT scan. I thought for sure he was going to be hard to get into the hospital but he did ok. I can't carry a 6'6" guy very well.

Silver in AZ said...

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. I hope you get positive answers soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it made your stomach feel better, but I'm sorry you're having to go through all this. I know you'll be glad when it's over and all tests are negative.

flask said...

today is june 8th. i hope you're ok.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

flask, thank you I am indeed cancer free. It is uveitis and I am taking the medication to hopefully reverse this. It is from Celiac disease. I will live to torment my husband and others for a long time. :-) (hugs)