We had been looking at new homes as well and none were just right or the price was ridiculous or it wasn't where we wanted to live.
We do wish to have a 1 story/ranch style open floor plan now. (mid-century modern would be awesome but hard to come by in this neck of the woods)
We have a 3 story home now and the stairs have gotten to all three of us, that's Izzy too. The poor dog won't go up the stairs now unless she really has to. Not even to go to bed anymore. She sleeps on the 1st floor. Her arthritis hates the stairs and so do we.
We came upon this tiny house and it made us laugh. Rick said he would be claustrophobic in that house and heaven knows with no real kitchen I couldn't live there let alone 1 bathroom. We were a bit shocked at the price but realized it was just for the land and we can tear down the house. But we found it funny because it was listed as a home for sale, not as land for sale which we found odd and as I said very funny.
We also found that we may need to wait to move until retirement and move somewhere that is far cheaper than around here. To be close to where everything is as we prefer, we will spend a minimum of $650 and still have to do work on it. And keep in mind that $650 is for a small home, not a family size home with kids. Thank heaven's I don't need that.
We don't want to be in another situation as we are here, a private cookie cutter community. I don't want a damn HOA again telling me what color my front door must be and that my garage door must match my neighbors etc. The closer to the city we go the higher the price. My townhome closer to the city would be so much more than what we paid...like $300k-350k more if in Alexandria/Arlington.
I don't need bigger, just 1 story. I could even go smaller in square feet too if there is a basement.
We thought about moving to older areas south of here but all the homes need serious updates and lots of work and that all costs too. So a hunting we will go.
I will also show you this one below. This was a real house, not a tiny house, making this 1.73 acre so very out of our price range. The tiny house is nowhere near this price. This house must be so fuggly inside because they only show photos of the outside. I learned that trick when flipping homes from realtors. Big Red Flag. I don't want to buy a 1.4m house and then have to spend a bucket more money to fix. But all that is a mute point isn't it? $1.495,000 is out of my price range. This makes the tiny house's land very very affordable in comparison. I would imagine if we built a house on that tiny house 2 acres it would cost about as much as fixing this old one below or damn close to it. No pictures scare me.
$1,495,000
1.73-acre lot
So April, see why that house on 3 acres last year with pool, work building for Rick in the low 400's we were ready to jump on? Unheard of price here even for a townhouse.
The tiny house on 2 acres with one room was $365,00
So Mike was the closest at $364,999.
So Mike email me your address and your goodies will be sent to you right away!!

8 comments:
That was fun but I still can't figure out why someone built that tiny house without a kitchen or bedroom unless they owned a large motor home and only used the property/house occasionally while in the area.
I agree with Jean, why build the house so tiny? I also was wondering if you could build some kind of elevator in your house instead of buying somewhere else?
Jean - who knows. I didn't get it either. It looks staged to me inside, not like anyone lives there.
Alessandra - can't be done. :-(
We are going to keep looking. Found one we liked but it will need another 80K to get it up to date. But we could live there while we fix it. But it sold in 1 day on the market because it was only $525,000. When that cheap they go quickly.
The market here is hot too so that doesn't help us much. Oh well, I'll keep showing them to you for fun.
It was entertaining actually ;)
Why not change the area completely? I mean you can do your kind of job anywhere.
$525,000 would get you a great house in St. Louis. 1.5 mil would get you a mansion.
Alessandra, I can't leave Northern VA. Our business is here. We can't pick up and go somewhere and start it again. It took years to get to this point. I am not young and can't do a start up again. So we are stuck in the general area until we retire and who even knows if we can do that due to losing our pensions etc.
Mike - I may need to move to St Louis :-) Won't you be my neighbor as Mr Rogers says.
move to Texas where those Magnolia people live, they sure have some cheap houses there.
Julie, we say that every time we watch that show. But then I remember I'd have to live in Texas so I pass. :-)
Post a Comment