Thursday, July 7, 2016

Randomness

Shh....don't tell anyone but I have grown to love Windows 10.

Sure I wanted to kill people while I was knee deep in work and couldn't get anything to work for me. But now that all that is over, it's great.

Seriously great.
So all those dreading the move - go for it when you know you have the time to play or take a class or two that are free at your Microsoft store.

I went from XP to 10. That is a huge leap. So if you are using 7 or 8 then 10 won't be as traumatic I hear.  But seriously it is fabulous and I love it.

Took awhile to get here but wouldn't want to go back now.

_____

An acquaintance was telling me how her son can't do anything. She was angry that he couldn't do the "simplest of tasks" as she said. His apartment was a mess and he came home to have her do laundry and cook for him.

I asked if he was ever taught how to do laundry or cook or clean. She laughed and said no. I said then how do you expect him now at 21 to know how to do this?  Do you show him or just do it? She tilted her head like the RCA dog and stared at me for a moment.  I asked if she taught her daughters this.

She said, "Sure"

Okay, I have to tell you that really bugs the shit out of me. Why do you teach your daughter these life skills but short change your son on these life skills?

Is it 1950 and is he supposed to have his mommy do this for his life until he gets himself a wife? What a disservice she is doing to her son, all roommates of his and his future mate.

I asked if she did his laundry or showed him how to do it himself?  She said I just do it it's easier. Really? Easier to not teach the kid you wanted how to have one simple life skill? Easier doing your laundry and all your work and then his when he is a full grown adult living on his own? Easier really? On who is it easier?


Show him how to do the laundry so when he comes home he can do it himself. I'd also give him a couple of recipes of his favorite foods and he can start with that. She said he couldn't make a grilled cheese he was so clueless.  I suggested when he brings his laundry after teaching how to do that go to the kitchen and say you'd like to teach him how to make a grilled cheese then.

Tell him how it will impress dates if he can cook one meal at least.
She said she couldn't do that.  See me scratching my head?

I believe this is why God didn't give me kids. I guess I would have been strict. Actually, I pretty much know I would have been from what I see of my generation's kids.  Not strict like my father. Heavens no.

But there would be rules, consequences and they would learn to be strong independent adults. Isn't that the point?
I would certainly have done that, starting when he was small with little things, like making his bed. Then cleaning his room, then helping me with something as I deemed necessary like a simple vacuum through the family room or something like that.  By the time he's a teen he could learn laundry and help. Not every week but he could do it if necessary. By the time he left for college he would be self-sufficient and not another lazy slug in society.

Rick's mother gave him his favorite meals on recipe cards so he wouldn't starve as she told him. He lived several hours away at age 21 so he couldn't just come home for a good hot meal He didn't have a clue how to cook but he was so sick of fast food. So he started with his mother's pot roast recipe she gave him. It was so good he was shocked he did it. Then he asked for more recipes. Then she worried he was gay when he asked for new pots and pans for Xmas. That made us giggle every time she would tell that story. Ah, that generation.

______________________

Our patio garden is going crazy. I can't wait to pick all the tomatoes and peppers. Almost there.

I love being able to grow our own little garden but sure do wish I had an acre or two. Oh well, after I win that mega-millions and buy that dream house I've had my eye on. It's only 1.2mil. It's a small ranch style home on 2 acres. It's brand new and open and modern and exactly what I'd like except the price tag. If you picked this house up and moved it to anywhere else it'd only be around $500. In my parent's town, it'd only be around $300K. But 500K only gets you a townhouse around these parts so I must win this lottery.
Retire, garden my little heart out, play with Izzy in a yard and put in a pool.
I've got it all planned, now I just need the money. Hear that lottery?
__________________________

Each year on the 4th of July at the lake where our lake home was, is a death on the lake. Usually drinking related. This year was no exception. A boater hit a jet skier in the neck and killed her instantly. She was only 18. 

I am not a fan of jet skis. I find them annoying and those that drive them are careless and don't follow boating rules. I see too many kids driving them. If you are not old enough to drive a car you sure as hell shouldn't be on a jet ski. 12-year-olds should not be driving a jet ski.
A jet ski can maneuver more easily than a boat so it will be interesting to see what they find. All reports including toxicology are still out and being investigated.  Rick and I have been out on the boat and we have had near misses with careless teens on jet skis. Many times not even old enough to be called a teen yet. They are laughing and playing around and not looking where they should. I get it, they are fun. This last vacation we came to a complete stop when we saw these 3 boys fooling around at high speeds coming towards us. They never even saw us. If we had been moving we could have killed 2 of them. They were looking at one another and laughing and just not paying attention. One year a young girl got decapitated because she was looking at her friend and drove right into a sail boat. She hit the thing that holds the sail and it took off her head. She was 16. I'd outlaw them if I could. Or at least make them be old enough to drive them and take a class to learn boating rules, passing rules on the water etc.
_____________

On a happier note....Rick's feet are less swollen and you can see toes now. Before it just looked like a hoof. Yea, you can laugh. 

He's less cranky with less pain. That helps everybody. And the steroids have helped his shoulder so much he doesn't have any pain there. All in all a good thing. Except taking of steroids. 
______________

I got a check from a company we did work for. They had already paid us. I called them and they insisted we didn't get paid. As much as I would have liked to keep this $1200 check it wasn't right. So I sent her proof that it was paid. She was very appreciative and said we would never have known. Damn! I could have gone shopping. But then I'd have a guilty conscious and who needs that. Besides Karma would be worse. So I did the right thing and shredded their check. But damn I need new shoes. 


______________________


I LOVE my refrigerator. I think we got it 2 years ago, I am old and don't remember. It was our Xmas gift to one another or us. We both knew we needed it and this one worked for us both. Rick being tall and not having to bend over and me being short but having all the space I wanted. What is funny is he can see the top shelf. I can't. I can see through the glass shelf below. So even now he can't find things and I can see that it is on the top shelf from the bottom. That infuriates him. I told him it infuriated me too and it took him a minute to get that. Anyway,  I still am in love with this fridge. If it dies, I will buy the same damn fridge. It has one slight issue, the accessories. We've had our water filter light blinking now for a couple of months. Now the air filter is blinking. So I went online to buy them. Oiy Vay!  That cost me $80 with shipping to get these 2 things for my fridge. Okay, that made me like my fridge a teeny bit less.  I suppose if I have to buy these every two years that isn't awful, but it's not great either.

But I am still smitten with my fridge. I told my niece that I was so old I love my fridge. She said, "I'm sorry but that does mean you're old how can you love a refrigerator?"  I told her to wait, it will happen to her too. She said she hopes not. Poor thing is in for a fun surprise, but a really nice refrigerator.   


7 comments:

Mike said...

I'm sorry but I already plan on winning the Mega Millions. Maybe you can win it next time.

Julie H said...

I thought I'd be a certain kind of mom too. Then I had kids lol. I do a lot of stuff myself because it's easier too. My kids do know how to do laundry though and can all make a grilled cheese sandwich ;)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

What makes it easier Julie. Not like in a hurry or something like that. I get that but why is it easier other times?

April said...

I have to admit I was one of those parents that rather do it myself then 1. listen to them gripe 2. tell numerous times to do it 3. do it this way and not half assed.

We are growing tomatoes for the first time - husband started them and I guess I have taken over (I don't even like tomatoes!). One big problem he planted 3 plants in a long container, so now they are top heavy and fall over all the time!! Oh and we have no clue what kind they are!! But we do have about 6 growing!!

Barbara said...

Glad poor Rick is getting better. I have sympathy for him. I can't say I love my fridge, but I have loved other inanimate objects - like my car before last - so I know what you mean. I wanted to tell you that Real Simple magazine has an article this month about what makes a good house guest. Hahaha. You'll have to read.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Gee Barbara should I leave that on their dresser? :-)

Julie H said...

It's easier because you don't have to deal with everyone whining. Including the man.