Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Greetings

In Yoga we end with a relaxation that I must admit is my favorite part.
Because let's face it, laying down with my eyes closed is very easy for me.
When we are done, we sit up, legs folded, she gives a blessing or message for the week and we clasp our hands and say, "namaste" and bow. For some reason when doing this it feels inauthentic to me. But I do it while at yoga.

By definition, I believe this is a traditional Indian greeting or a gesture of respect. To me, it would be as foreign as me using some gang sign, a rappers hand gesture, dropping the mic and all things that just look ridiculous on me as an older white woman. Do you know what I mean?

I have to say that it bugs me, even more, when people just meet you and do that.What the hell is that about? Are you Indian now? Are we doing yoga now?
Why the hell is this blonde young thing doing this in front of me right now? (seriously happened on a dog walk) Would she use another gesture of a culture not her own while greeting me? Is it fashionable now to just put your hands in prayer, bow and say Namaste all the time to everyone? Was she being respectful of this old broad since she was all of 24? 
What the hell was this about? I sincerely want to know. I think I missed the memo on this and I am befuddled.

Last week when I was watching a talk show the guest came out and did the hands in prayer, bow and the whole deal to the audience.
He is a middle-aged white guy. What the hell was that about?
I think I may be missing something here.
Can any of you enlighten me on this new trend?

Perhaps I should just walk up to folks and say, Salute (as in "cheers") and throw back a shot.
That is a gesture, isn't it? It certainly is one I'm more comfortable with at my age.

5 comments:

Ami said...

We can't enlighten you. You must seek your own path to enlightenment.

Or so they say.

Yeah, I always felt that it was pretentious, the whole bowing and namaste thing. I can't do pretentious. Against my religion.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami, that made me laugh out loud here at my desk. I'm glad to know I am not the only one who finds it all so pretentious. I do yoga for the stretching and keeping the old gal's joints greased. :-) The rest seems as I said so un-me or not authentic to who I am. I just feel silly.

Barbara said...

I'd probably be willing to bow and say namaste if it meant my joints would work well enough to do yoga. Having said that, I think ending a yoga session by throwing back a shot would work really well too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Here's the thing Barbara, my joints weren't either. But this has had me in ways that blow my mind. MOst in the class are 50's to 60's. Sure there are those 20 somethings all bendy but for the most part this is a class for we seniors. I NEVER thought I'd be able to move or do anything here. It has changed my life. Oh I still can't get my hands on the floor with my feet on the floor for downward facing dog. But it has enabled me to have more flexiblity and the stuff I can't do due to my knee issues I do on my back. I know it all sounds impossible. I went kicking and screaming but this senior yoga has been a big blessing for this old gal. You'd be amazed. I think my joints were so stiff because of lack of use. One gal is just turning 70 with severe arthritis. She and I are always in the back and do our own thing. She is amazing. She's heavy set and really goes for it. Can she do it like the instructor - nope but as she and I have discussed, it helped her get out of a chair easier and I so understood that. :-)
So you too could do this. I am certain.

Mike said...

Only get out of a chair when absolutely necessary. Like I gotta go pee right NOW. Then the motivation will make you move.