Monday, April 18, 2016

Where've you been?

Where I've been you ask?
Busy, busy, busy.

I am hosting a shower for my niece about 4 - 4.5 hrs from my home.
I bought the favor gifts, the chair covers, the bows for the chairs. I am now working on the centerpieces. I have the burns from the glue gun to prove it.

This is being held at a winery north of Pittsburgh about 30 minutes or so.
The place is very beautiful. The hall where this is being held has centerpieces that look like something you'd find at an Italian restaurant.
We needed something prettier.

The table tops will be all white so the black chairs just didn't work for me. So I bought the chair covers and bows. The sister of the niece getting married has worked at a convention center while in college so she will be my hero and help us tie all these. She is very good at all that stuff.

The only thing I did not buy or make is the gifts for all the games. The bride had her bridesmaids all make 2 baskets for the giveaways for the games. They all got together and made these. So that was a nice break for me. But honestly I HATE those silly games. Nonsense to me but it's not my shower to say, only to pay.

It's a relatively small group for our family. Just shy of 40 women.
But I'm sure my food & wine bill won't be small. :-)

My own dining room is a mass of shit from Michaels everywhere as I work on these centerpieces. I burned my fingers with the hot glue from the glue gun.
Move your hands you idiot - I hear what you're all saying that.

I put the glue on the back of the sparkly stuff and then pressed it on the glass. Oh my God did that hurt. It came through the little holes which this ding bat never thought of. I had blisters on 3 of my fingers as well as my thumb so I gave myself a break for a few days. I had put the glue on the glass but it wasn't working so well. I would say I did not think this through well.
Or as my lovely husband said, "What the hell is wrong with you Margaret couldn't you see the holes in there? Honestly, you're like a kid."  Yes, he spoke these kind words as he is applying my burn ointment from my last fiasco on my fingers and wrapping them.  Yea, it was dumb. Now it's funny, but oh I wasn't laughing as my fingers were on fire.

I hope to finish them in the next 48 hrs so then I will take a photo and show you all. I hope this is not an epic failure.

This weekend since the weather was great we worked on the things that the HOA insist be completed. What a royal pain in the ass.
I get why there is an HOA so you don't have the nightmare neighbor who's car is on blocks and they have trash out front of their home and they lower the value of your home. But our HOA are definitely little nazis. They just nit pick at the oddest things.

The gravel on the side of my driveway wasn't even enough for them. Perhaps because people drive over it at times. My neighbor got a letter about his mulch having faded on the one side of his sidewalk. They want him to buy new mulch because the sun faded that side more than the other side. He also got one because there was a 2-inch mark on the side of his siding facing my portico. You had to walk on my porch and then face your left to see this.  I think this person who wrote him up had to be so anal retentive. If she had wet her finger and slide it across said mark, she would have removed it and not wasted the paper, ink, and postage.
We accomplished most but not the big one - his truck. Hopefully, this weekend we'll get that done so my list will be empty.

This week is a very busy week for me and then on Friday we have someone coming for happy hour. This young woman is the cousin of Rick's daughter.
She lives here and we don't get to see her often. I posted the article of the photographer who did those 4 pictures of each person as they had wine. She saw that and said, "Hey I haven't seen you guys in forever so how about I bring the wine and you can take the pictures."  Funny how seeing wine made her think of me isn't it? So I invited her to come by on Friday after work. I'm making happy hour food, and think we'll grill up some pizza's and have wine and enjoy the weather that is finally here. It's supposed to be in the 80's today. We go from having the heat on to Oh my goodness it's summer. I would love a couple of months of 65 - 75 degrees. That would be my sweet spot. But Mother Nature doesn't seem to agree with me on that one.

11 comments:

April said...

What's wrong with truck?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ricks van has a wrap and has had a wrap for 10 years. The wrap is considered offensive. No one can have a work vehicle parked in their driveway (my driveway is in the alley behind our house) Your work vehicle can have no writing on it at all. The van does not fit in our garage so we park it in the driveway. It cost several thousand 10 yrs ago - to remove it costs $3,000 unless we do it ourselves. WE got the door off with the heat gun but it was so cold out it was not working well. Now that it is warm and with the heat gun it should be easier. We are not paying to have it removed. I hate where I live and so want to move!!! If we don't have it off in the next 2 weeks we will be fined $100 a day. Lovely huh?
Yes, we are just white trash aren't we?

Barbara said...

I hate to throw parties. I would rather buy than try to make all the decorations, etc. I may be a little crafty at home but when I have to do it for someone else - uck. I'm just not good enough. Glad you were so sweet to do it. After this is over maybe we'll take some time to have glue gun practice so you don't destroy your fingers in the future.

Anonymous said...

No good deed goes unpunished - you throw a shower and find you need to plunge your fingers into a totally different shower!

Sucks about the HOA too. They seem to create these little Napoleons that get all swelled up about the authority they like to abuse. Must be compensating for deficiencies in their personal lives somehow.

Mike said...

Our city has the same rules about parking a work vehicle in your driveway with markings on the side. Magnetic signs are the solution.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Brian - yes that is what Rick says, small penis syndrome. :-)

Mike - those don't work out too well either. They were always being stolen off the truck. Went through that 3 x and just gave up and got the wrap.

April said...

Wander what they would do with my husbands work vehicle - Police Car!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

April - there are a lot of those as well as sheriff cars so they are allowed. Just not another type of work vehicle. You can't a cover on your car either. It's ridiculous the things you can't do. Can't have the color of your door changed without permission and I have known no one who has gotten that permission. It's stepford like and we all have to look exactly the same. I can't wait to move!! We only thought we'd be here 3 yrs. In our 16th year now. DAmn.

Julie H said...

We are already in the 90's some days. Mostly high 80's though. I'm having a party on the 29th so it will probably be shitty weather and rain again.

I use tweezers a lot when working with hot glue. Saves the fingers a bit.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie - good idea with tweezers. Now that I have no feeling in my fingers. :-)

Julie H said...

Well it WASSS a good idea lol