We have molding and other assorted things to finish it out but for the most part the swearing has ceased.
Rick isn't a big swear guy, I am the queen in that department.
But my oh my do the words come out when he is struggling.
Because nothing is what it seems in this house he has really had his work cut out for him.
Yesterday while working on the 1st floor he was cussing up a storm. I was doing my Sunday thing where I make meals for the week. I also was laughing inside. I know he's frustrated but it's funny to listen to him talk and cuss to himself. I asked if there was anything I could do to help him and I got the lifted eye brow, so I knew to just keep working in the kitchen and snicker to myself.
It reminded me of an incident at our lake house. We bought a nice home, good bones.
But it was a Grandma house. The older couple who built it never changed a thing.
It was solidly stuck in 1979.
It was very dark and lots of flower wall paper. Dark ceilings, dark walls, dark cabinets, and a daylight basement out to the water that was unfinished. Just cement walls. No one wants a house on a lake to be dark. You want it light, bright and beach like, at least we did.
I worked upstairs on sanding, priming and painting everything dark brown to white. (trim, kitchen cabinets, the new doors etc)
Rick made the daylight basement a game/tv room, bar area, bathroom, bedroom and laundry.
Everything downstairs was now dry walled and painted, he was working on crown molding.
While he was doing the crown molding I was upstairs painting the dark cabinets to white.
I hear the following - "Shit!"
A few minutes later - "Damn.It!"
I yelled down -"do you need some help?" Rick yells back , "NO!"
A few minutes go by and I hear -
"Son.of.a.bitch!"
I giggle. Then -
"Mother fucker!" Something was thrown, I think it was a piece of wood.
Now I am roaring with laughter because Rick doesn't talk like this and I have no idea what he is doing but it's funny from where I'm standing, high atop a ladder in the kitchen.
I have to look so I go down the stairs and say, "What is going on down here?"
He shows me how the corners are not meeting.
I say, " you bought extra like we talked about didn't you?"
" Yes, but that last cut was the rest of my "extra."
"Gee Rick what the hell is wrong with your measurements?"
Now he is furious. Shit, why did I say that?
He shows me what he has been doing. Measures it, goes to the saw and put the right thing in and viola, comes out wrong. Suddenly he sees something. Eureka! He begins to laugh.
"What's so funny?"
"OMG the saw is off by a degree!"
I didn't get it.
So he shows me that the saw was set 1 degree off.
So instead of a 45 degree angle he was cutting a 44 degree angle.... and that was causing the issue. But now he has no more molding, so off to the store he goes.
This swearing was what our staircase was like, only not a miter saw problem, just a home that was built poorly problem. We live in a crooked house I swear.
These builders should lose their licenses.
Rick also wasn't working on a different level yesterday, he was a few feet from me so I had to keep my snickering to my inside self if I wanted to live. Not easy.
BEFORE
AFTER
BEFORE |
AFTER
4 comments:
It looks great! Our house is old and was just a little vacation on the weekends place when it was built. We always have the debate if we want things to look straight or to be level.
Scott cusses about everything. I'm not much better lol.
Julie - sad that we have to choose between looking straight or being level. This house is neither :-)
If a house has had time to settle from original construction nothing will be level or at 90 degrees.
Mike, level is the least of the issues. Too many to go into here. Trust me, this house is built so poorly. But then most homes here are. They go up in weeks and cost an arm and a leg.
Post a Comment