Friday, May 30, 2014

Pilates Classes

I am a hot mess today.  Baseball cap and schleppy clothes and that's the best it will be today.
I sit here at my desk, which I might add, is another hot mess of disheveled papers and office things strewn about, in pain and tired. I am thankful it's Friday!

I am sore in places I can't fathom being sore. I have learned that there is a six-pack under this keg and it is in extreme pain. My back from the bottom of my head to my tail bone is sore.  My arms feel like jello. When I awoke this morning and I grabbed the sheets to fling them off me my arms failed me. They were like Jell-O.  I laughed.

Rick asked, "What is wrong with you?"as we were still lying in bed trying to move.
"I'm  sore"
"you can't move your arms?"
"Oh I can move them, they are a bit like jello-o this morning. I can't seem to lift them with our yelping"


I attempt to get out of bed. 
Holy Shit!!  I am sore everywhere. My abs from just under my boobs to just below my belly button are incredibly sore. So there are muscles under there!!  Who knew?
As I bend over the sink to brush my teeth I begin to laugh because this too hurts.  
It hurts to laugh. Each week I am sore in a new area that we were working on. 
I fear this will never be easy for me. But yet I love it.

Pilate's is kicking my ass with a capital K.  I wish it were easy like being on a treadmill or lifting weights but those also bore the shit out of me. But then what does our mother tell us? Nothing worth doing is easy. It certainly applies here.

The slow concentrated movements are killer.
Last nights class I had a giggle fit. Hold your belly button to the floor, breathe, keep your shoulders down Margaret, no all the way down, now do what is needed. I have found I can't breath. Who knew I would need to learn to breath. I am not breathing from my diaphragm. I also find that I tend to hold my breath. 

I tell you that I find it funny that I have to think about breathing, holding a position a certain way, holding my abs a certain way and doing all this at the same time. I begin to fail in one area and then fix it and fail in another. It tends to make me giggle when I realize I'm a fucking moron who can't breath and do this at the same time.

I think I am mentally challenged. I swear I can walk and chew gum at the same time. 
Really I can. (Don't listen to Rick, I can damn it)

My instructor is so patient. She is a great instructor who knows the body so well. She explains things so that I understand them and she tells me the why.  I say that because on our first day I asked a lot of why? type questions. She laughed and said, "Oh you are going to be one of those are you?"  Apparently so. So when we begin a new focus she explains how it affects our body, why it does what it does and off we go. 

She was a ballet dancer and has that body type. 
She bends in ways I can only dream of. And for some further TMI, my husband would love it if I could bend like that. 
Me personally would just love that body type. 
No body fat on her, no boobs and just long lean muscles. Ah, I can dream.

Last night we both had a giggle when I had to bend a certain way and I was struggling. 
She was holding me and said, "damn girl those tits are getting in the way"  
I burst out laughing because I love it when someone can be that honest and open with me. 
I just said, "No shit I can't golf cuz of those either!!'  (not that I want to golf. I actually was thrilled that the giggles gave me a moment to stop!)
At the end of our session she said, "I have been going through my minds roledex thinking of women golfers. You are right they don't have boobs. " 
Oh yeah, I am aware of that since taking golf in high school gym class. 

The reformer provides such resistance and it can only move with your abs making it move. 
I had a new position last night and I could only make it move with the help of my arms. 
As I used my arms she would say, "NO! c'mon you can do this. "  
After my 4th try I did it. OH MY GOD. 
After 10 of those reps I thought my abdomen was on fire. But you know what? 
It felt good....until this morning. 

In the mean time, I may not be able to hoist a drink this weekend or bend forward or backward with out pain. Hell my obliques are in serious pain so twisting is out of the question.  But my posture is improving so I can just stand here and look cute.
If I don't move I feel great!

8 comments:

Julie H said...

Sounds like you got a great work out :)

My mom has big boobs and she said they don't work well in archery either ;)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie - that is so funny because I had that in there too but deleted it. In gym we had to do damn archery as well. You can do both but it makes it difficult.

Yea these private classes are killer. I will move from these to group when I'm done with my 8 private ones. Then at least I won't be her sole focus. I call her my Painmaster. But honestly it makes me feel so good, like nothing else I've done. Probably like what you get from your running.

Mike said...

Is the Painmaster wearing a black leather outfit? If so you may have signed up for the wrong class.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh the Mikester....funny one.

mamahasspoken said...

This made me sore just reading about it, hence why I'm staying on this couch and not doing anything that might cause my muscles to hurt ;o)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie - But it really really helps my back. After 1st day no sciatica pain. My spine doctor suggested this since my pain started again. It's painful yet a blessing - go figure.

Carma Sez said...

I admire you taking on this challenge - and it is cool you get to use the machines. Probably a lot more fun than the Pilates mat classes I was taking - up until the eye incident that is...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carma, so much better on a Pilates reformer than the mat. the original developer of Pilates did so on a Reformer. (thats the machines)It's also harder and you have tension so it's like weights. Mat Pilates is more yoga like.